Book list

Peretti is awesome. I read This Present Darkness years ago when I was like 10 or so. I had nightmares for a week. I read it again about 4 months or so ago, and loved it. Then about a month later I was looking through our book collection trying to find something to read, and saw Piercing. I didn't realize that there was a sequel, so I saw it and I was like "What the?". Then I realized what it was and was like "SWEET!" :D

I've also read Monster, which was really good.

He's got a new one out called House, that looks really freaky/scary and that I REALLY wanna read.

This is how I explain my book collection:
Of the Breeding of Many Books There Is No End
By Greg Hartman

You can learn a lot from books. Not by reading them — by observing their behavior. Some people are book lovers. Me, I'm a book breeder.

When it comes to books, I'm like a cat lady. I never buy books. They migrate to my house from miles around all by themselves, so I can save money for essentials like food, clothing and shelves.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, Food, clothing and shelves? But I'm serious.
http://www.family.org/married/comm/a0017943.cfm

Yep, shelves are a basic neccessity in OUR house... Read the complete article; it's not that long, but it's hilarious! (I wanna read The Lion, The Witch, and This Present Darkness!)

michaelpi said:
oh i jsut started " all in one a+ certification" by michael meyers
i just love my computer books
Expecially reference books, those tend to propagate all over...

what is horrible are e-books, never ever get into them, you will have a entire library and no time to read it...

My mother-in-law was watching a design show Sunday, and the couple were saying they had "a lot of books." So they show the book collection...and it all fits on ONE BOOKCASE, with plenty of room for nicknacks.

That's a lot? Listen, if your books number in the double digits, you don't have a lot of books...my Star Trek novels probably exceed the double digits! In fact, if you can COUNT your books, you probably don't have a lot...

Speaking of Star Trek novels, anyone a fan of the old original series paperbacks? I have dozens upon dozens...they can be hit-or-miss, but I love them!

My parents made the mistake of trying to ground me from my books one time...Im still finding them because they had a hard time hiding them all.

Okay, went home and counted PART of our book collection. In our bedroom alone, we have somewhere around two hundred and fifty books. :eek:

Our main bookcase has two layers of books on most shelves, so I only counted the front layer and estimated the back. Yeah. And that doesn't include the books in other rooms, or the boxes in the attic (which I rotate books into and out of). And I have read all but a couple dozen of them. Yikes.

I read while I commute (public transportation), sometimes at lunch at work, and anytime I have to wait. And I simply read quite fast.

vibrokatana said:
Expecially reference books, those tend to propagate all over...

what is horrible are e-books, never ever get into them, you will have a entire library and no time to read it...

E-books in my opinion are a real pain to read. I have to print out relevant sections and read the hard copy instead, if I want to retain any of the information. Now if they're reference books the electronic format can be great, because you can keyword search the whole book - but all those dire predictions (still floating around in librarian circles) that somehow physical books will be entirely replaced by e-books have obviously not come true, nor will they IMO.

I don't actually own any e-books myself, but there are quite a few available for free access through Netlibrary (www.netlibrary.com), which is a service my library provides its patrons for free. In addition, there are zillions of audio books my library makes available for FREE checkout via download IF you have the right kind of MP3 player (the type that is set up to automatically erase your audio after the loan period has expired - which does NOT include the Ipod). This is the sole reason I'm strongly considering getting an MP3 player this year.

}aul

I have a few audiobooks and ten to fifteen e-books. Most of my e-books come from Project Gutenberg or the Baen Free Library. (Both are great resources.) I keep audiobooks on my PDA in case I get caught without a book, or finish my book faster than I expected.

dorkelf said:
This is the sole reason I'm strongly considering getting an MP3 player this year.
Liar! It's also because your cd player is broken in the car, and you make all those loooong drives to and from Alabama. :p

MaidMirawyn said:
I have a few audiobooks and ten to fifteen e-books. Most of my e-books come from Project Gutenberg or the Baen Free Library. (Both are great resources.) I keep audiobooks on my PDA in case I get caught without a book, or finish my book faster than I expected.

Liar! It's also because your cd player is broken in the car, and you make all those loooong drives to and from Alabama. :p

If only the broken cd player were taken into account, I would be 'seriously thinking about it' - but because of 200,000+ audio books would become available for my listening pleasure, I am 'strongly considering it'. :p

}aul

The only issue I have with aduio books is the ones I download form my library have no chapter breaks. While this will not be an issue when my dedicated MP3 player arrives, it is an issue now because you have to constatnly find where you were in the entire book if anyone wants to listen to music between "reading" times. Just something to think about. Do yours have chapter breaks? The ones I get from Audible.com have breaks but I have to pay for those.

Kel Queen of all Europe

Well I now have my own mp3 player for books and am much happier. It uses less batteries and is easier to carry around. I just downloaded The Solitary Envoy Heirs and hope to start it tomorrow.

Finally finished Eldest. Great book and can't wait until the next installment. (One of the longest books I've ever listened to on audio. Even longer than a Dirk Pitt novel)

Just read a great new young adult book called The Lightning Thief If you like the Artemis Fowl books you will want to find this book. All of the smart alecy humor and Greek mythology thrown for good measure. I liked that the abmormalities that were criticizied by the school systems and peer groups were realized as the gifts nesseccary to save the world.

WARNING ************SOME VIOLENCE************************​
From School Library Journal
Starred Review. Grade 5-9–An adventure-quest with a hip edge. At first glance, Perseus Jackson seems like a loser (readers meet him at a boarding school for troubled youth), but he's really the son of Poseidon and a mortal woman. As he discovers his heritage, he also loses that mother and falls into mortal danger. The gods (still very active in the 21st-century world) are about to go to war over a lost thunderbolt, so Percy and sidekicks Grover (a young satyr) and Annabeth (daughter of Athena) set out to retrieve it. Many close calls and monster-attacks later, they enter Hades's realm (via L.A.). A virtuoso description of the Underworld is matched by a later account of Olympus (hovering 600 floors above Manhattan). There's lots of zippy review of Greek myth and legend, and characters like Medusa, Procrustes, Charon, and the Eumenides get updates. Some of the Labors of Heracles or Odysseus's adventures are recycled, but nothing seems stale, and the breakneck pace keeps the action from being too predictable. Percy is an ADHD, wise-cracking, first-person narrator. Naturally, his real quest is for his own identity. Along the way, such topics as family, trust, war, the environment, dreams, and perceptions are raised. There is subtle social critique for sophisticated readers who can see it. Although the novel ends with a satisfying conclusion (and at least one surprise), it is clear that the story isn't over. The 12-year-old has matured and is ready for another quest, and the villain is at large. Readers will be eager to follow the young protagonist's next move.–Patricia D. Lothrop, St. George's School, Newport, RI
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Sorry if this seems selfish, but would anyone mind if this thread were moved to my CGA writing forum? :rolleyes:

I've still got that MP3 player on my wishlist but I may have to buy it myself sometime next year. Dea and I have to replace her Mac laptop, which will be our joint Christmas gift to each other this year.

Oh, in regard to chapter breaks - isn't that a function of the MP3 player? I think some players allow for them and others don't.

Paul

Sorry if this seems selfish, but would anyone mind if this thread were moved to my CGA writing forum? :rolleyes:

I've still got that MP3 player on my wishlist but I may have to buy it myself sometime next year. Dea and I have to replace her Mac laptop, which will be our joint Christmas gift to each other this year.

Oh, in regard to chapter breaks - isn't that a function of the MP3 player? I think some players allow for them and others don't.

Paul

You can move the thread if you would like. It would fit well there but I hope all you GWs people will still contribute from time to time.

No matter what mp3 player I get the audio books from my library will not have chapter breaks. It's just the way they format them

Kel Queen of all Europe

Dorkelf just got pwnt.

Me: Oooooo. So it's YOUR forum, huh? Well, I can change that. *leads army of sporks in a valiant charge against dorkelf*
Dorkelf: My preeeecious.... we waaaants it... we neeeeeds it... we MUST protect it! *summons army of knorks*

Last edited:
Back