Return to StarCraft?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
So League of Legends is a decent enough game, but it does bother me that I've spent more time in the last two months playing a free-to-play game than I've spent playing a game that cost sixty real dollars.

LoL is also about as new parent-unfriendly as you can get (World of WarCraft being the only game less conducive to short bursts and drop-in, drop-out play) while SC2 matches tend to be, on average, shorter.

And like I said, I SPENT SIXTY DOLLARS ON THIS GAME. (Well, $40 and a $20 Amazon credit, but it still adds up to $60.)

Still, some of us have taken a vacation from SC2 for various reasons (i.e. Zerg race design feels like an afterthought, Zerg is disproportionately more difficult to play than Terran or Protoss, "IWIN" strategies like bioball, MMM (marines, marauders, medivacs), and mass void rays), but I think it's time we come back to the Swarm--err, StarCraft.

We could play pre-made team games against random people, we could play in-house team games, we could finish up that tournament we started, we could play the official Blizzard mods (Left 2 Die, Starjeweled, Aiur Chef), or we could watch live 1v1 matches.

Whatever we do, I'd like to get back to the game soon, even if I shelf Zerg as my main race and continue to play as Protoss until the expansion pack. (Seriously, Blizzard, it's obvious Terran and Protoss got more <3 during development.)

So who's with me? And when (and what) do you all want to play?

Good call. I got sucked into Cata and now Rift. Rift is great PvP btw.

Id love to set a weekly time where a bunch of cga cats want to get on and play. Thursdays are looking good for me.

Still, some of us have taken a vacation from SC2 for various reasons

Ha!

I'm permanently on SC/BW. (as well as D2/LoD)

But, no thanks. I'm not positive of a return to StarCraft.

Yea, I've been playing with friends at college. So far they are my only friends, but I'm always down to playing with my boys here ;)

StcNintyFive.145 if you guys want to hit me up. I'm on every now and again, and I'm getting better! I was actually placed in a silver league, but I think it was a fluke. Anyway.. I'm down for some SCII.

Last edited:
Unless others at my dorm are playing, I won't be coming back. Find the game too frustrating online, too gimmicky in single-player, and other games in my catalog offer more enjoyment.

I'll definitely roll with you when you come back. I am definitely a SC fanatic and would love to get back into the game.

However, this time I will be zerg cuz that's how I roll son.

Thursday nights could work well for a SC2 game night. That would allow those unable to attend Straturdays to still meet up with other ToJ members and play SC2.

EDIT: And there's currently no other ToJ game night scheduled for Thursdays.

I think we should also make a point to add each other to contact lists other than the Battle.net friends list. B.Net offers no way of checking who's on without taking the time to load SC2 and log in. Many active ToJ members run Steam most of the time they're at the keys. Maybe we could use Steam to help arrange impromptu SC2 matches?

As for race selection: My heart is still with the Swarm, but Zerg needs an overhaul before I can go back to playing them as my main race without expecting to bang my head against a wall every other match. My desire to play FOR THE SWARM is still strong, but not as strong as my desire to have fun. :(

But for those who have fun playing Zerg, more power to ya! /salute

StcNintyFive if you guys want to hit me up.
What's your character code, sir? It's usually 3 or 4 digits and can be found on the Add Friend dialog in SC2. For example, my character name is Tek and my character code is 935.

What's your character code, sir? It's usually 3 or 4 digits and can be found on the Add Friend dialog in SC2. For example, my character name is Tek and my character code is 935.

I edited my post, it's StcNintyFive.145

Speaking of returns and steam names etc. can I get an invite to the CGA steam group?

xxkhrushchevxx

is my name =D

Speaking of returns and steam names etc. can I get an invite to the CGA steam group?
The CGA doesn't have a Steam group, but ToJ does.

I've added you to my Friends list. Message me on Steam some time and I'll send you an invite to the main ToJ Steam group and any others you'd like to join.

Unless others at my dorm are playing, I won't be coming back. Find the game too frustrating online, too gimmicky in single-player, and other games in my catalog offer more enjoyment.

QFT

upper diamond average games were 30 minutes at about 140 APM, which is about tripple apm for a decent LoL game...a loss in sc2 was for more demoralizing than a loss in LoL. I just don't enjoy sc2...sorry won't be coming back til expansion...maybe

I'll try to come back dude. Try to message me for a game Tek. I kinda want to play again because of how much i paid for the game.....

upper diamond average games were 30 minutes at about 140 APM, which is about tripple apm for a decent LoL game...a loss in sc2 was for more demoralizing than a loss in LoL.
I don't know if it's really fair to compare the two. It's like saying it's more discouraging to lose a tennis singles match (1v1) than a basketball game (team game).

Unless, of course, you are referring to 2v2 or 3v3 games. But I can't imagine 3v3 and 4v4 matches being much fun at that level of play anyway.

I don't care for 1v1 matches in SC2, but primarily because I get stomped more often than not. A game can be fun when it's a close match between players. When it's a one-sided roflstomp, it's far, far less fun.

If I was able to play at Diamond level, I'd likely be more interested, though I could understand how maintaining one's rank would be a frustrating ordeal, which segues neatly into my next point.

You don't have to play competitively. We could arrange in-house 3v3 matches. We could try out crazy strategies in 4v4 Quick Matches (a.k.a. the Mario Kart Wii of real-time strategy, fun but certainly no indicator of skill).

If you really wanted to, we could play SotIS. If I understand correctly, all heroes in SotIS are unlocked from the start and the fact that there's only one map available isn't so much an issue. :) Plus, players are all on an even playing field, instead of having 78 more base health or however many more base ability points because of some metagame leveling.

Besides, SotIS only has one fewer maps than LoL. :D

In short: I understand your complaints. I sympathize. Believe me, I'm a Zerg player through and through; I agree that Blizzard made some major missteps with SC2.

But you don't have to play the game to win. You can play it just for fun. It may be the moment we start taking a game seriously, it stops being as much fun.

I'll try to come back dude. Try to message me for a game Tek.
Will do. :)

I kinda want to play again because of how much i paid for the game.....
Oh man, I hear that. Sixty bucks for a game? I better be playing this with my daughter (when she's old enough, of course).

Have they dropped the Brood Wars price yet? Last I checked WC3 battle pack was still pricey.

Anyone interested in getting some games in today? Ladder matches are no place to relearn the game and a new race =D

Anyone interested in getting some games in today? Ladder matches are no place to relearn the game and a new race =D
I may be up for a few in-house games (2v2 or 3v3) later tonight after I get home.

Back