lulzthread(tm): Tek's Thrifty Principles Have Ruined Me!

Kendrik

Staff member
Tek has this little personal policy on game purchases that's rubbed off on me: "Once a game has sold for a certain price, don't buy it at a higher price." I call this Tek's Law of Frugality.

It's a good law. I more or less adhere to it, making occasional and small exceptions for things I really want. lol

Well! I just recently traded in games to Amazon with the intent to acquire Injustice with no out of pocket expense. I like the game enough that I was willing to spend full retail's worth of credit to get it.

Then Toys-R-Us decided to sell the game for $35 this week on all platforms. Amazon has yet to play ball in competing with their price. I planned to get the game at the $60 price point, and I have the credit to do so, but now I can't pull the trigger and spend $25 of credit more than I've seen the game go for...

And it's all Tek's fault!!!

I've never felt more conflicted over buying a game than I do now.

Tek's Law of Frugality will be the death of me... but the savior of my wallet.

I'll just have to stick with playing Persona 4 Arena as my fighting game of choice until Amazon sells Injustice for less than $40.

Then Toys-R-Us decided to sell the game for $35 this week on all platforms. Amazon has yet to play ball in competing with their price. I planned to get the game at the $60 price point, and I have the credit to do so, but now I can't pull the trigger and spend $25 of credit more than I've seen the game go for...

I think there is a painfully obvious solution to this. :) Why not buy it from Toys-R-Us?

I don't suffer from Tek's law - I just don't buy a lot of games! Guild Wars 2 was the last game I bought.

Last edited:
Implement the "two-week rule" in addition to "Tek's law" and you will see all of your impulse buys go away. Simply determine that once you decide you want something (game or whatever) you will wait two weeks before purchasing it. Can't tell you how many times I have avoided purchases due to this rule.

In regard to games, that means you wouldn't buy it on a whim if it was at a really good price point unless you had already decided over 2 weeks ago that you wanted it. If you still need to wait your two weeks then you will most likely have to wait even longer for it to drop back down to the Tek price point. Crazy, I know. But then, how many of those games you own do you actually play (or play more than once)?

I think there is a painfully obvious solution to this. :) Why not buy it from Toys-R-Us?
lol yes, that would be the obvious solution. Guess I left out that I don't have the cash to spend on games at TRU at the moment in my last post; it's why I made my Amazon trade-ins in the first place.

Implement the "two-week rule" in addition to "Tek's law" and you will see all of your impulse buys go away. Simply determine that once you decide you want something (game or whatever) you will wait two weeks before purchasing it. Can't tell you how many times I have avoided purchases due to this rule.

In regard to games, that means you wouldn't buy it on a whim if it was at a really good price point unless you had already decided over 2 weeks ago that you wanted it. If you still need to wait your two weeks then you will most likely have to wait even longer for it to drop back down to the Tek price point. Crazy, I know. But then, how many of those games you own do you actually play (or play more than once)?
Two-week rule is a good rule. I've actually passed up several Steam deals in recent times because of just such a rule. :D

...so much for lulzthread(tm), though. :p

This is like Neirai's Law of Alcoholic-free Alcohol Enjoyment: Never pay for alcohol.

Edit: am I allowed to mention Alcohol here?

am I allowed to mention Alcohol here?
Only if you are discussing Nyquil or mouthwash.

I'm sure the Bible specifically forbids not only the consumption of alcohol but also the mere mention of it. (And to preempt any arguments any may bring: if you disagree with me you are obviously misinterpreting the text) :D

Only if you are discussing Nyquil or mouthwash.

I'm sure the Bible specifically forbids not only the consumption of alcohol but also the mere mention of it. (And to preempt any arguments any may bring: if you disagree with me you are obviously misinterpreting the text) :D

If it forbids consumption and mention, I also think thinking about it is forbidden. Better watch out!

I win, I am too old to think about anything. Now what were we talking about?

So back on the original topic: I'm not sure how I feel about having laws of frugality named after me.

Wait, no, I know how I feel. I like it. :)

I've compiled a whole list of rules regarding purchasing games, but yes, I refuse to buy a game (or pretty much anything else) if it's been available at a lower price before. I bent the rule a bit when purchasing computer upgrades (otherwise I might have been moved from frustration to utter madness) but otherwise hold to it stubbornly.

This thread makes me want to start a general PC games buying guide. But I'm pretty sure that's covered by forums of gaming frugality that, unfortunately, due to the name of the forums, we cannot mention here.

Being serious about the alcohol?
No sir.

I personally don't drink (with the exception of Nyquil on the rare sickened occasion), but I don't believe that the Bible teaches we have to abstain. Instead, I believe the Bible teaches not to be drunk. I abstain because I'd rather not find out if I have a fondness for drinking. I struggle with too many temptations as it is. I have no problem with other Christians enjoying an alcoholic beverage.

No sir.

I personally don't drink (with the exception of Nyquil on the rare sickened occasion), but I don't believe that the Bible teaches we have to abstain. Instead, I believe the Bible teaches not to be drunk. I abstain because I'd rather not find out if I have a fondness for drinking. I struggle with too many temptations as it is. I have no problem with other Christians enjoying an alcoholic beverage.
The issue I have with it (being that I enjoy a nice beer once in a while) is how does it affect those around you. If your moderate enjoyment of a beverage causes a brother or sister to stumble, you need to do a heart check. Past that, I agree with patriot.

(I've found a flippant attitude toward alcohol can be detrimental to someone else's walk.)

No sir.

My wife and I struggled with this for a few years. We didn't even use cooking wine(or wine vinegar). After some time, I came to the same conclusion that you did.

Back