Mann Vs Machine Update

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
It's set up. Play it to your heart's content until September 10th when we go back to a 24 man server.

1. Our server will be running Mann vs Machine for a bit, except on Tuesday.
2. Password while in MVM mode is Godrules .
3. You are welcome to start games and invite friends, whom you know can behave, but the player limit is 6.
4. You cannot get the new item drops playing this mode unless you play it on an official Valve server, pay for a ticket and even then the item you get may not be a new one. You can get regular drops on our server.

Admins all you need do to change modes is type either of these in console...

sm_rcon exec mvm.cfg
sm_rcon exec regular.cfg

Map will change with config. Play mvm maps while on mvm config and regular maps while on regular config only.

Notes on Gameplay:
From my short experience it's very much a team effort as you will need to be able to do certain things using either what upgrades you pick or your team makeup. You will need...

1. High sustained dps.
Pyro and Heavy seemed to work best with their continuous dps over spike dps. Gator using the Soldier's Beggar's Bazooka and putting his points into a faster reload seemed to work ok too. A fast reloading Demo may work the same but was untested.

2. A way to heal.
A Medic with Kritzkrieg for DPS seems best but most of the classes have points you can put into getting HP from other methods. Grey kept his HP up as Scout for most of the match that way.

3. A way to pick up money.
You must upgrade for later levels so someone has to go out on the field to pick up the money. Scout or Spy seemed to work best.

4. Know and camp your ammo locations as you will run out otherwise.

Last edited:
Valve in their sheer brilliance has figured out another way to make even more piles of money off a 5 year old game.

To earn special loot you have to complete missions in Mann-up mode. This mode can only be played on official servers after using a Ticket ($0.99 in the store). For an additional $1.99 you can purchase an extra loot ticket that will give everyone on the team extra loot if the mission is completed.

MvM can be played on a regular server with the time playing counting towards your regular drops but to get the extra loot you have to either trade for it or spend money. Hat haters can go back to hating.

/facepalm

In other news: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was not released today.

Yup costs money for the ticket for the mode to earn items but it did say they are all cosmetic at least. I guess our server will get people after all as a result though :) .

Edit: That is whenever the Valve servers can stop being overloaded and finish updating our server.

Edit: Here is the update's contents for your perusal.

Team Fortress 2
- Added Mann vs. Machine
- Added Archimedes
- Added The Soldier's Stogie
- Added The Robro 3000
- Updated The Helmet Without a Home to be paintable
- Fixed some clipping issues with The Salty Dog
- Removed player penetration from The Pomson 6000 and boosted the damage to compensate

I am assuming Archimedes to be a bird for the Medic like the Demo has.

Edit: The Soldier's Stogie is something else I wanted to make but never got to. Mine was going to be called Stubble Trouble and feature an unshaven Soldier with a cigar ah well must focus on one thing and I might actually get it done. Hopefully Coal Town won't be like Boom Town.

Last edited:
Hopefully Coal Town won't be like Boom Town.

Instantly thought of your map when I saw Coal Town.

Also here is a link to the FAQ of Mann Up if you guys haven't got around to reading it yet. MvM FAQ

And if any of you are going to go for the mann up, I think it best to get some practice on a non-mann up server to get the hang of the mode, hopefully the weapon upgrades carry over, if not then whatever.

Last edited:
I am not sure we will be able to host a MVM server after all. They released some things I need to set up on our server among which is...

To host an MvM server:
* Make sure maxplayers is 32!

Um yeah. I'm wary to set it in the server config that way as I don't want Gameservers to end up billing us for a 32 man. However it would only be downloading 32 man data not uploading... grrr dispatching pm to Gameservers to verify they won't end up billing us...

Currently downloading the update at ~90KB/s.

Doesn't look like I'll be playing tonight. I'll probably install the Firefall beta on my wife's PC instead. :p

Currently downloading the update at ~90KB/s.

Doesn't look like I'll be playing tonight. I'll probably install the Firefall beta on my wife's PC instead. :p

I've seen the videos for a while on it but how is Firefall Tek?

Still waiting on things to update here so I can get to the inevitable kicking the server until it works.

Been updating my laptop for the last two hours. When I started it said it would take a little over an hour to complete. I"m halfway done and it's still telling me it's going to be a little over an hour...

Been updating my laptop for the last two hours. When I started it said it would take a little over an hour to complete. I"m halfway done and it's still telling me it's going to be a little over an hour...

Silly Wolfeman :p . Say I have this bridge in Brooklyn I am selling cheap want it?

I've seen the videos for a while on it but how is Firefall Tek?
I like what I've played so far, but it looks awful on my dinosaur laptop. In other words, the game probably looks great, but my machine can't keep up. I'm downloading it on Ember's laptop now.

Server's showing as online in HLSW as of a few minutes ago.

Unfortunately, I still ~460MB to download and my speeds are fluctuating between 110KB/s to 500 bytes a second.

Doesn't look like I'll be playing MvM tonight and I still plan on playing Deathcraft II tomorrow.

And the response from Gameservers is of course....
Gerbil,

You must upgrade your server to 32 slots in order to install the mod. This can be done via the following link:

Thank you,
Andrew Miesner
GameServers.com

I'll still try it with 24 and let you know if it explodes...

Last edited:
Just got copied on GameServers' reply to Gerbil's question:
You must upgrade your server to 32 slots in order to install the mod. This can be done via the following link:
So no MvM for our server unless people are willing to donate $7 more a month.

And I think I'd rather stick with the standard gameplay anyway. I didn't buy TF2 expecting a 6-player action RPG. Even if it's fun, I'd rather play 12v12 matches than play with 5 other people against bots.

I got Gerbil ninja'd.

It's what I do in game or out.

...but yeah I'd stick with the regular mode as you cannot get items unless you are on a Valve server anyway. If it works with 24 players though I will leave it on MVM mode for the next few days. I expect it won't be as hard as it should but it's not like the server gets much use on non-Tuesdays anyway.

Firefall beta seems pretty fun so far. I'm not too far into it, but like Tek, I'm on a less than par pc for gaming (my work laptop) so I won't know how it really is until I get home from my training.

As for my update progress, getting a big ole 80KB/s

If your download is going super slow, then switch you download server to japan or some other non-Europe place.

Steam > Settings > Downloads + Cloud > Click the download region and set it to someplace other than US.

After the guys had multiple crashes I have changed the password so I can work on our server. It does not look good though. Will post if I get it working and open it to the public again. Until then play elsewhere.

I've updated my first original post with the new password and current server status if you wish to play on it. See it.

I do have a question though. Would you guys want me to disable replay in this mode to get the one extra player slot or do you want replay enabled in case you want to record some bot smashing action?

Ok more info. Apparently being subscribed to three of the Valve mailing lists and getting daily, copious, often irrelevant spam, is not enough I need to be on a 4th one because it said this...

Fletcher Dunn said:
Servers use more CPU than a 24 man game and need to be launched with a separate command and with 32 maxplayers

Fletcher Dunn said:
The CPU usage for a 6 player MvM game is about the same as for a regular TF server. (Yep, this mode requires significantly more CPU cycles per player than the PvP mode, that’s an unfortunate fact.)

and then this...

Fletcher Dunn said:
Regarding exactly what happens if a 24-player server switches to MvM: I actually don't think we have worked that out yet.

[rant]Valve why do you not tell linux server operators this? Is it not relevant? Why don't you know what happens either? Didn't you make TF2 for 24 man servers and then penalize 32 man servers in matchmaking? Gerbil wants to shoot something probably himself for messing up again. Goes to shoot something in a game and probably messes up there too XD[/rant]

Last edited:
Back