How much would it cost to upgrade to Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I used to run Windows XP Pro. I liked it.

I now run Vista Ultimate. I loathe it.

I would like to upgrade to the version of Windows 7 comparable (in terms of features) to Vista Ultimate, but I don't want to spend more money than absolutely necessary.

I'm not a student, a member of MSDN, or even employed right now.

I've contacted Dell to request some kind of discount to purchase Windows 7 since they shoved Vista onto me with my replacement notebook. I would have been happy to stick with XP.

So if Dell fails to come through for me (which wouldn't surprise me in the least, given their record), what are my options for buying a legitimate license of Windows 7?

When I click that link, either in IE or Firefox, I get:
Error
In order to use this site, you must have Cookies Enabled on your browser.
:(

EDIT: Clicking the link didn't work, but copying/pasting it did and brought me here. I'll go through the steps and check it out.

I'm already in contact with Dell to see if I could work out some way to get at least a partial discount on an upgrade to Windows 7, but I want to know what my options are if that fails.

I received my notebook in March of this year, so, according to the conditions of the Windows 7 upgrade program (at least, as it was a few months ago), I'm not eligible for a free upgrade.

Last edited:
you ahve ultimate? That's odd..are you sure it isn't home premium?
Most definitely. My old Inspiron E1705 was running Windows XP Pro, so I guess Dell wanted to install the OS most similar to Pro in terms of features.

rememeber there is an upgrade hole in win7. you can buy he upgrade..have it install clean..don't enter a key in..thiks forces it into trial mode..then you upgrade ovber the trial..:)

I usually go with OEM, but I have on numerous occasions have to call up Microsoft to re-validate my copy cuz I changed my cpu or memory or some little thing... still a 5-10 min phone call for me is quicker then doing 2 installs everytime.

I usually go with OEM, but I have on numerous occasions have to call up Microsoft to re-validate my copy cuz I changed my cpu or memory or some little thing... still a 5-10 min phone call for me is quicker then doing 2 installs everytime.

Technically it is the same computer. After all the case is the same. /s

For anyone who might have a valid .edu email addy without being enrolled in classes...and was considering the $30 student upgrade, just wanted to share this:

2. Individual must be a student at a U.S. educational institution and must be actively enrolled in at least 0.5 course credit and be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request.

Microsoft or Digital River may contact you to verify that you are a current student. If documentation is not provided indicating that you are a current student, you will be liable to reimburse Microsoft for the difference between what you paid and the estimated retail price of the software.

Yeah, that would be questionable to do.

However, it doesn't mean there aren't other ways around it.

I'm not saying I'm just saying.

:)

I am posting this from inside Windows 7, WOO WOO!

I went out to Best Buy (which was insanely crowded since it's Saturday) and picked up the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack. I've already upgraded and I'll be helping Ember upgrade over the weekend.

I have the basics installed and I'll be making a disc image shortly. Once I back up the disc image, I'll start installing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back