Thread: HEADSUP! I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT download Alliance of Valiant Arms

HEADSUP! I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT download Alliance of Valiant Arms

Apparently there is a game-guard called Nprotect in the files. It's actually less like a game-guard and more like a rootkit. More info here. I, personally, less cool than a knife with a rose on it... anyways. do what you will, just thought I'd give you the headsup.

The Mighty Gerbil is offline Tribe of Judah Team Fortress 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Forums User Administrator
    a synthetic habitat enclosure... ok a cage
    Thanks for the heads up. I had not been interested in downloading it so I had not researched it. Another player I know was though and I gave him the FYI.

Signature credits to Blackbeard

Thanks for the intel. I have the game... now I'll have to investigate. /shudder
    PSN: KendrikTheRed | Xbox Live/GFWL: Kendrik The Red | Nintendo Network: KendrikTheRed | Steam: [toj.cc]Kendrik | Raptr: kendrikthered
    SC2: Kendrik#643 | D3: Kendrik#1439 | SWTOR: Kendrikk | GW2: Kendrik The Green | LOTRO (Silverlode): Kenndrik
    Twitter | Twitch.TV | YouTube | personal blog | Team Cheesecake

According to reddit it copies a 'jumbly named file' directly onto your C: drive. Frankly, it's probably harmless but the idea of a keylogger (malicious or not) makes me queasy.

The Mighty Gerbil is offline Tribe of Judah Team Fortress 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Forums User Administrator
    a synthetic habitat enclosure... ok a cage
    I once tried out Battlefield Heroes which installed Punkbuster along with it. I'd think it's about the same but didn't hide like a rootkit. After completely removing the game Punkbuster still ran in my memory while I had no game that used it! It most certainly did not offer to remove it along with the game and had I not checked manually I would never have known it was still there. I get a bit offended when games fail to remove useless programs taking up system resources no matter how small. If Punkbuster did this I'd not assume Game-guard is different, I'd make sure.

Signature credits to Blackbeard

I will definitely look into this, I LOVE AVA, and have been playing it for years.

Tek7 is offline CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
    Punkbuster is the reason I haven't installed Quake Live at work.

...Though on second thought, I probably shouldn't be playing QL on my breaks.

# "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for God's glory." 1 Corinthians 10:31, HCSB
    # Planning an Amazon.com purchase? Support the CGA by shopping the Christian Gamers Alliance aStore!
    # Find me on Backloggery, Battle.net, Desura, Facebook, Google+, PlayStation.com, Quake Live, Raptr, Steam, TeamSpeak, Twitch.tv, Twitter, and YouTube