FOOD AGAIN!!!!!!

While we are on the basics of bread, let's look at basic bread in other cultures and situations.
Tortillas

Yes they are a bread substitute. We have a Mexican friend who rolls hers up and dips it in whatever she's eating, tortilla in one hand, fork or spoon in the other.

You mean no one has tried that? Well let's try a near cousin of it. There was a 12 year old Native American boy who used to make this for us frequently. Yummy all on it's own, goes with every thing.
Indian fry bread
Note that is not Asian Indian, but Native American. Some of you who cook and are not on a gluten free diet should try it.

Aleron ya musta had the deep fried imitation, the Indian Fry bread I am talking about is not deep fried, but pan fried in a very light amount of oil or butter.

You want artery clogging, Fried Cheese Curds. Oh, I get chest pains just thinking about them.

I think we have discussed cheese curds before. The best are found in Da U.P. and Wisconsin. Fried or fresh they can't be beat. Oh man now I want squeeky fresh cheese curds.
In bread let's talk about a good,
Sourdough bread

Some bakeries in SF claim their starter goes back to the 1800's.

Old topic - loooove naan.
Never had Indian fry bread.

BUT there is a Navajo taco place in town that serves some of their offerings on frybread. Been meaning to try it. Looks yum.

Cheese curds, only experience is another local-ish place, and they are yummy. It's out of the way to go there though, so I rarely get them.

I'm too hungry for this thread right now.

Bread? I discovered a small national chain lately. My better half kept turning it down because it looked like a hole-in-the-wall place. The Pita Pit, great food, only slightly more than Subway, gives a 10% discount on Sunday if ya brings in yer church bulletin. So today's bread is the

Pita

We've had one of those for a few years and it is pretty popular. But I must have gotten the wrong thing because the one time I went there it was DISGUSTING. I think I got turkey and it was slimy. :p There's one pretty close to home that has been there for a while now too. I pass it every day on the way home. But I haven't been to it. Maybe I should give it another chance.

I do like pita bread though. :)

Haven't tried the turkey, tried Philly steak, and a salad with tuna on it. So far pretty impressed, the tuna comes in a sealed packet and they put it on right away, then change gloves afterwards. The Philly pita was fresh grilled with just what I wanted, green peppers, onions, and 'shrooms, and the 'shrooms weren't out of a can. The only complaint is they have 2 tvs in there, but a least they keep the sound down. Overall sound and atmosphere when very busy is just doable with my panic attacks so they get 4.5 of of 5 for now. Oh yah, adding black beans on a salad with tuna really rocks!!!

I have a real problem with people calling anything a "Philly Steak" unless its made with an Amoroso roll, very thin sliced(and fried) steak, onions, and Cheez Wiz. I guess I feel its an insult to Philadelphia.

blogSpan.jpg

Attachments

• Pats-WhizWith2-09.jpg
    Pats-WhizWith2-09.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Haven't tried Pita Pit. I agree it doesn't seem inviting (the nearest one is in a gas station). We have one chain here called Mancino's which does pizza and "grinders." We used to go there all the time before my wife went gluten free.

Back