Another reconstructive foot surgery ...

Hello. Here's the latest update plus yet another prayer request:

t's been a little over 7 months since the left foot was operated on. It's doing better but the overall size of the foot hasn't changed much as well as the skin graft. It's still large and rather hard. Still having a lot of severe pain in both feet. In my last update, I wrote about the same "bone pain" and location appearing in the left foot. That remains but the right foot is still much worse.

Last month, I received a new set of modified shoes and custom-made orthotics. The new shoes are running shoes and "rocker bottoms" installed. This allows me to walk normal. Without these shoes, you can definitely tell there's a problem with the way I walk. The shoes were also the last resort to alleviate for these bone pains. No improvement. On the plus side, the shoes completely eliminated the limp I had. Now I walk completely normal so you really can't tell there's a problem as it is now severe pain that remains. Walking and standing for anything over 5 minutes is very painful. I do push myself past the point of my pain threshold daily though. It's the only way to stay in shape with limited mobility issues.

Prayer request for this Tuesday, February 10. Still moving forward with the decision to amputate the 4th toe on the left foot. I believe it's for the best. In the past it complicated healing with the new skin graft. It sticks out, causing difficulty wearing shoes. During the summer months, it's a source for athlete's foot. This is still a difficult decision. As horrid as my feet may be, it's been a long, memorable, and faith-filled journey. No complaints. I love my feet :)

Please pray there are no complications and that I am able to get pain relief. As I've written in the past, not many medications work with me. I'm either allergic to them or they have no effect.

Here's a link to a 3-photo collage displaying the top of the left foot, a shot showing the toe that needs to be amputated out of place, and the new shoes with the rocker bottoms which altogether add about 2-inches of height :D

Thank you for the continued prayers,
Ed

Thanks for the prayers.

The operation was successful with no issues. This was outpatient surgery which was a first in a long time for me.

The first night was the worst. The pain was a 10 and almost prompted a 911 call. The pain emanated from the amputation area but also from the areas where there's metal hardware: heel & midfoot. Yesterday the pain wasn't as bad but I did need pain meds. This morning phantom pain began and is increasing. Overall it still hurts but to be honest, it's not as bad as what I thought it would be. The reconstructive surgeries I've had over the past 18 months have been far worse.

Bandages and stitches get removed next Friday. I've begun placing some weight on the foot but it's only around the house and only a few steps. Most of the time, I am relying on a knee scooter. I'm using this instead of crutches because my right foot is "protesting" aka screams in pain when I use the crutches. Unfortunately, it still has problems.

I believe all the prayers I've received have contributed to the alleviation of pain without needing to solely rely on pain meds.

I want to heal from this operation quickly. Like I've allude to in the past, my right foot still is not doing well and will require another major operation. I'm hoping I can have that before the beginning of summer.

Again thank you. As usual, I will keep this thread updated.

Praise God for the successful surgery and continued prayers for relief from pain and healing.

Here's an update. I've been staying off the foot for the most part. I did notice that there kept appearing new blood through the bandages. I called the hospital yesterday. A nurse advised to ice the foot and elevate for 20 minutes each hour. I think the bleeding is due to the type of skin graft on the foot: free flap. That muscle has its own blood supply and my doctor had to cut into it in order to remove the toe.

I didn't notice any new blood this morning so the ice seems to be working. I'm no longer taking pain meds. Living with so much foot pain already, I can tolerate this without the meds. And the phantom pain is already gone. I just hope that when I begin walking more it remains gone.

A big thank you for the prayers. The stitches come out next Friday, on the 27th.

Hello, CGA. Update:

Stitches came out on Friday. No issues. My foot doesn't look that bad without it because the 5th toe seems to be migrating inwards. There's a reason for that but I won't get into it. But as a result of this migration, it forced the 4th toe, which was already fused, upwards causing the problem in the first place.

I asked my doctor about proceeding with the next operation to my right foot but he said no. The toe amputation isn't finished yet. I return at the end of March for a final eval on that.

Phantom pain comes and goes with the worst being last Wednesday. But I'm good. No complaints. My left foot feels better in a shoe. This was the right decision. Severe chronic pain remains in both feet but I accept it. It would literally take a miracle from God to eliminate it. I resumed physical therapy on my own at home about 10 days ago. I'll wait a week to return to the clinic though.

Earlier today I went on a 1.25 mile walk at a park. It was sunny out :) Not much more pain at the surgical area but pain everywhere else. My physical therapist thinks I have plantar faciitis which wouldn't be surprising given all the pain I have especially on the bottoms of the feet. Both feet continue to swell greatly. But I noticed in the area where the toe is amputated, there's not much of a gap. I do walk a slight limp again. Hoping that will resolve itself soon.

Thank you for the prayers,
Ed

Glad to hear that things are going well for you in this. I continue to pray for healing and relief from the pain.

It's been a little over 3 months since the toe amputation so time for an update. The toe amputation was surprisingly the most uncomplicated operation I've had in a very long time. Everything went smooth even the healing. I still deal with phantom pain periodically but it's not that bad. I find that it usually occurs when I have a lot to think about (stress).

I still have problems with my right foot and it continues to be get worse. I spoke with my doctor and he agreed to operate on it again. There remains two issues with it. One is that bone pain which appeared after the foot was reconstructed in 2013. The pain continues to get worse. I don't even have to be standing for the pain to occur nowadays. The source of the pain is the navicular bone and will be fused. Another is the fact that the foot healed crooked. In order to align it, my doctor will perform a heel slide. It's the same procedure performed to my left foot where part of the heel is cut off and shifted outwards. In order to access the bones, the free flap/skin graft that covers the foot will need to be "lifted." This will be a risky operation due to the free flap.

Overall the chronic pain I have when walking or standing is worse than it's ever been prior to the new set of surgeries that began in 2013. I've accepted the chronic pain. But this bone pain and crooked foot I don't accept because it wasn't there to begin with. Still no word on the surgery date. When I know the date, I'll update this thread again along with an x-ray of the problems. Thank you for the prayers.

Well today is actually one year since my left foot was reconstructed. Time for an update for both feet.

The left foot is doing well even with the toe amputation back in February. There is a difference when I place weight on the foot as I'm walking slightly flatter now. But it's only been in the past month, that I've felt this as each time I placed weight on the foot, it felt awkward especially in the heel. Phantom pain from the amputated toe remains intermittent. I find that stress will usually bring it out.

Now for the right foot. I've written about it before here of this new "bone pain" that surfaced after the foot was reconstructed back in July 2013. This bone pain continues to get worse. Nowadays, I don't even have to be standing or walking for it to throb. But walking & standing makes it worse :) Another foot reconstruction was confirmed back in March. 3 procedures are needed:

- fuse the navicular bone to the cuneiforms (cuneiforms already have screws in them)
- realign the foot by shifting part of the heel outwards (same procedure performed to my left heel)
- realign the big toe

The procedure involves both my orthopedic surgeon and plastic surgeon again. This skin graft as well as the muscle underneath needs to be "lifted" in order to access the bones. It's a very complicated procedure and will be the 23rd operation to the right foot overall.

My feet continue to have severe chronic pain. Unfortunately my orthopedic surgeon saying that the operations would help alleviate the chronic pain actually made it worse. But I accept the chronic pain. It would take a miracle to be completely healed of it. It's all this bone pain that drives me to want this operation. Plus this bone pain occurs in the same location in the left foot as well but it's intermittent. At this point, I don't want my left foot operated on again.

I have a special prayer request today. Not for the actual operation, but to just get informed of a surgery date. I've been waiting 3 months. The hospital is having difficulty finding a surgery date where both surgeons are available on the same day. From past experience, to even be informed of the date, it's still 2 months in advance. It takes a year to recover from these operations as well and is very painful.

Here's a link to a collage of photos and x-rays of both feet. The right foot x-rays show the ongoing problems with it. The collage also displays the amount of swelling that continues.

I am applying for a disability retirement. Just waiting for the documents to arrive in the mail. I know my feet, that severe chronic pain takes its toll daily. It zaps me of my energy and requires hours of rest for even a mere 20 minutes of standing or walking. A return to work is highly unlikely at this point. I know I'll need to jump through several hoops to get approved but I am hoping for it.

Thank you for your prayers thus far. It's unfortunate that this journey has not ended. However, my trust remains in the Lord. This year has been very difficult with the sudden deaths of family members as well as others. My faith remains strong.

Chronic pain issues not only take a severe toll on one's physical body but also on one's will and emotions. The Christian suffering chronic pain is in a strange position: Believing that God is able to heal our bodies through any means and at any time He chooses, but trusting in His sovereign will and His decision not to do so. I think Christians who suffer chronic pain better understand the wonder of the promise of a resurrection body, free of pain and, even more importantly, free of the presence of sin.

I'll continue to pray for you and your needs as well.

Thank you to everyone for the prayers.

Here's another update:

I found out that my orthopedic surgeon went on emergency medical leave and will be out for 6-8 weeks. I asked if another surgeon could perform the operation and at this point, the answer is no since it's previously been operated numerous times. Both feet are very unique in the bone fusions and the type of skin graft on top of each that the original surgeons are required for the next operation. So it's a very long waiting game now. Longer than it's ever been before. My disability retirement application is also on hold because I need my orthopedic surgeon to complete the medical forms for it. Admittedly, I'm slightly upset but I'll get over it. I still do physical therapy at home 6 days a week with a heavy concentration on my legs, calves, and feet. But I know no matter how much I stay in shape, the chronic pain I have never improves and continues to get worse. I accept that though. This remains in God's hands.

Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

Praying. I don't really know what you are going through but I do feel I know the feeling of problems that never goes away even when it started years ago. It's really hard. Hang in there.

On going pain and illness is so difficult to deal with, been there done that as I get older, although not to your degree. I like your choice of verse there, I confess as a prayer warrior I have skipped you sometimes, forgive me. I will continue to pray for peace in your struggle, and hopefully some relief.

Back