Microsoft buying Mojang / Minecraft

Words cannot describe the level of my disappointment. I can't completely blame Notch, 2.5 is a whole freaking lot of money, I had just hoped he would be satisfied with the freaking lot of money he made from Minecraft to stay independent. Now I fear Minecraft will become shovel ware...

I was just coming to post this. I don't know what to think about this yet. Im hoping that things don't change (even though I know they probably are going to). I don't know, maybe MS won't follow in their previous steps?

Here is a post with the letter from Notch.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6151941/minecraft-mojang-notch-goodbye-letter

It sounds like Notch didn't like the responsibility of such a big success. He had a great idea, got the ball rolling, hired more folks, kept the ball growing... I can't fault him for deciding "okay, I'd rather someone else take this over now." I'm sure there are other options, though. When you're the boss and primary shareholder... can't you tell the company what and how much you want to do?

But Microsoft? They're in charge now? I'd readily admit it's pessimistic, but I'm pretty skeptical here. Look at their current projects -- are they about quality, or profit? True, not many companies could play with 2.5 billion dollars, so there aren't many options. Sadly, Notch said he discovered, and disliked, that he wasn't in touch with the fans, but I see this as giving it over to someone we don't even know the address of, in terms of fan connection.

I really wonder what is going to happen with the new API that Mojang was "working on." Microsoft doesn't strike me as historically interested in providing versatile interfaces so others can modify their software. The mess with Bukkit is a little confusing to me... but even worst-case, if that was crash-and-burn, the API should have made it moot. Now I have serious doubts about that future API.

Sorry, I just got a call and I have to go pick someone up, so I can't polish this or elaborate more at the moment.

tl;dr I'm nervous.

I am very disappointed as well. Minecraft PC is going to become like the xbox version; you'll have to pay for skins, expansion packs, updates. I bought the game before it was fully released and was promised free updates for life. Lol sike!

On the blog is promises nothing is going to change. That's always the promise when these takeovers happen.

Here is a post with the letter from Notch.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6151941/minecraft-mojang-notch-goodbye-letter

It sounds like Notch didn't like the responsibility of such a big success. He had a great idea, got the ball rolling, hired more folks, kept the ball growing... I can't fault him for deciding "okay, I'd rather someone else take this over now." I'm sure there are other options, though. When you're the boss and primary shareholder... can't you tell the company what and how much you want to do?

But Microsoft? They're in charge now? I'd readily admit it's pessimistic, but I'm pretty skeptical here. Look at their current projects -- are they about quality, or profit? True, not many companies could play with 2.5 billion dollars, so there aren't many options. Sadly, Notch said he discovered, and disliked, that he wasn't in touch with the fans, but I see this as giving it over to someone we don't even know the address of, in terms of fan connection.

I really wonder what is going to happen with the new API that Mojang was "working on." Microsoft doesn't strike me as historically interested in providing versatile interfaces so others can modify their software. The mess with Bukkit is a little confusing to me... but even worst-case, if that was crash-and-burn, the API should have made it moot. Now I have serious doubts about that future API.

Sorry, I just got a call and I have to go pick someone up, so I can't polish this or elaborate more at the moment.

tl;dr I'm nervous.

Yeah, maybe if they sold it to Valve it would have been better. Valve wanted it for a while too. I doubt the modding community is going to be encouraged by Microsoft. I don't know what will happen with the YouTube community too... I am so disappointed.

Last edited:
Regarding Notch's motives:

"Over the past few years he's made attempts to work on smaller projects," Hill wrote of Persson, "but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang."

On his own blog, Persson thanked fans for the success of Minecraft but said he wanted to step away from the status he'd gained by creating his game: "I've become a symbol. I don't want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don't understand, that I don't want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I'm not an entrepreneur. I'm not a CEO. I'm a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

"As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I'll probably abandon it immediately."

Persson closed his post by saying, "It's not about the money. It's about my sanity."
Source: Microsoft confirms acquisition of Minecraft studio Mojang

If someone handed me a briefcase full of cash and let me let go of the one thing that was stressing me to my limits, all in the same day, I'd be hard pressed to say I'd act any differently.

EDIT: As for Minecraft itself, Microsoft's track record with studios like Ensemble and Rare does not bode well.

Last edited:
While it can be manipulated you don't decide if you are famous, people decide if you are famous. Fame will fade with time as he distances himself from Minecraft but "IF" Microsoft does botch Minecraft they aren't going to be bearing the hate alone. If Notch didn't like being famous I wonder if he is going to like being infamous. In a rational world it's his call to make but I've seen the irrational followings of internet Youtube fans and Notch has that in spades. A few are likely to feel betrayed even if it is unfounded. Ah well I guess he will have other zealots protecting him too. I can't help but wonder why didn't he just find a responsible employee to hand it off to (like I thought he already did). Notch doesn't need money and as the boss he can be as irresponsible as he likes and just vanish from the scene. You don't make blog and twitter posts if you aren't looking for people to read them, that means on some level you like fame and with fame will always come a need for responsibility (which most shirk regardless XD).

...and now you know why Gerbil will never use twitter or blogs. I don't want the responsibility of being famous :p.

/Disheartened to hear Microsoft Noms the world again but hey it could be worse, it could have been Activision or EA :D :p .

Last edited:
/Disheartened to hear Microsoft Noms the world again but hey it could be worse, it could have been Activision or EA :D :p .
It's true Activision and EA have both ruined their fair share of previously competent studios (and then some), but Microsoft's no stranger to the same. Rare and Ensemble immediately come to mind.

EDIT: This list of studios EA acquired then closed is marginally relevant to the conversation.

Last edited:
Notch loves programming and creating games.
Notch becomes successful with Minecraft and the "indie" spirit
Notch makes tons of money, takes care of his staff and vows to stay "indie"
Notch turns Minecraft over to in-house staff and works on stuff he finds fun again
Notch calls out Oculus Rift for selling to Facebook (insert words like greed, destroy and "indie")
Notch makes tons of money from Minecraft merchandise and licensing deals
Notch tires of being held responsible for his creation, his opinions and his fame (makes joke about selling it all)
Microsoft takes Notch up on offer and offers BOATLOAD of money
Notch walks away from his responsibilities and everything he has claimed to stand for in the past (making him and all he's said before a complete joke)
Microsoft estimates they will turn a profit on the deal by June 30, 2015

Well yes, but I fail to see how that is relevant to the present discussion.
I was just pointing that neither Microsoft nor EA nor Activision have a good track record when it comes to taking good care of studios they purchase.

Back