VotD question

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
I have been using several versions of the Bible for Verse of the Day, NKJV, HCSB, lately I have use NIRV several times. What I need to know is what version brings more of a blessing to you? The idea of VotD is to give you a daily verse(s) for a blessing and hopefully insight and guidance. I want to be sure that the version(s) I use are best suited to this idea. If you have a theological bone to pick with a version I need to know that too. You can't derive a blessing from a verse if you are focused more on the problems with a particular version, and I want to avoid that issue. So let me and others know what version you prefer.

Personally I like using the version that God had led the poster too. I like to compare versions and seeing God's thoughts expressed in different words often help me to see things in different ways. The only ones I have issues with are the Amplified Bible (because it can lead people to translations which are not appropriate to the given context) and The Message (mainly because it gets a little too far away from original manuscripts but if others wish to use it for devotional purposes I have no problem with that).

(And because I will be "that guy..." The KJV was an excellent translation 400 years ago. I will concede that it has a lyrical quality and beautiful prose but the archaic language tends to place a barrier between the contemporary reader and the Scripture. Additionally, our scholarship has advanced quite a bit in 400 years and I always read the KJV in conjunction with more contemporary translations. Again, for the person who wishes to use it for their devotions I have no issues with it, but for those who insist that it is the only version of the Bible to use yeah I have issues. In certain cases the KJV expresses God's message in a poetic way (especially the Psalms) which other translations tend to loose.)

I'm KJV only based on the manuscripts used for contemporary translations, ideological beliefs and practices of the translators of other versions and the influence of the Catholic church on manuscripts and translators of modern day translations.

Back