The vision for the Christian Gamers Alliance in 2015 and beyond

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Ey, now that's an intimidating thread title. :)

So it's apparent that the CGA Forums have not been as active in the last year as they were previously. There's also the not-so-small matter of a $420 bill due in less than 3 weeks. Then there's the fact that I, as leader of the community, have a wife (who works Saturdays, by the bye), two young daughters, and a full-time job.

Those that know me can only imagine how hard it is to sit still for any length of time and pray about the current situation when EVERYTHING in me wants to start shotgunning messages to folks to make them aware of our current situation. Believe me. I'm sorely tempted.

But before proceeding any further, I want to emphasize again that I recognize that no ministry efforts can endure without God's enabling power. I also recognize that God is sovereign, nothing surprises Him, and all good things come from Him.

Unfortunately, theory has never been where I've fallen short as a leader. It's always been in the execution.

I passionately want to believe that God still has work for this community to do together and that He'll soften the hearts of folks to donate. I also recognize that I'm not in a position, financially speaking, to cover what remains of the invoice myself.

But even if I could, I don't believe it would be wise to do so. Why?

Because, as difficult as it is to raise over $300 in less than 3 weeks, it's far more difficult to convince people to consistently invest their time and energy.

More on this later! For now, I must go to bed. (I'll probably need to post all the thoughts that have been percolating in my head this last week in sections as I'll be hard-pressed to find time to type it all out at once.)

So if the bills aren't met by the community in 3 weeks does that mean you believe it's God's will to let it die?

So if the bills aren't met by the community in 3 weeks does that mean you believe it's God's will to let it die?
Not pulling any punches, eh? :)

It's difficult for me to answer this questions for a number of reasons, not the least of which being how the question was phrased. For me to "let it die" now, after so much time and energy invested, would be callous beyond my character. If we weren't able to raise the funds, I would look at alternatives: Temporarily moving from a yearly billing cycle to a monthly billing cycle, downgrading to a lesser server to reduce costs (while still making every reasonable effort to keep the TeamSpeak server as well), offering minor perks (e.g. badges, custom titles by request, etc.) for donors, and so on. Failing to raise the full amount in time wouldn't mean shutting down completely, though it would likely include changes--perhaps uncomfortable changes--to keep us operational.

It's also difficult to answer because I'm personally invested in the community and it's very hard to take a step back and try to see others' perspectives. Attachment can be a very positive thing for a leader, but it can present some difficult challenges. I have to constantly question my motives for fear of getting lax or building a "closed circle" community where members simply congratulate each other instead of challenging others to walk more closely with Jesus. I've benefited many, many times from words of encouragement, but I've also benefited from difficult questions from folks (such as yours) who may sometimes be perceived as gruff but earnestly seek to advance the kingdom of Christ (such as you). :) It's hard to think clearly when there's a decade of history, activity has declined in the past year, and we're less than 3 weeks out from a sizable expense.

One more reason why it's difficult to answer, then I'll move on: My personal history in local churches also makes it a challenge to speak about financial needs in such a way that communicates urgency without devolving into televangelist talk or assumptions regarding the will of God. I grew up in a state where Prosperity Gospel had sunk its ugly fangs into several congregations (including the one I attended through my teenage years) and I've tried for years to shake its influence, sometimes overreacting to avoid even the shadow of its ilk. I spent time reading through the Old Testament on my own while attending youth group, studying the major and minor prophets, many of whom were ostracized, ignored, or violently assaulted by the people to whom God was sending them. Nothing of what I was reading in the Old Testament or New suggested that God guaranteed material gain or comfort for those who serve Him. Spiritual nourishment, eternal security, and a clear conscience were and remain the invaluable benefits of those who serve Him diligently, but we have no ironclad guarantees of personal safety or financial prosperity. We are called to do what is right because it is our "reasonable service" in light of God's saving grace, not because God will owe us "stuff" if we obey Him.

Okay, I took more time blasting Prosperity Gospel than I intended, but it leads to my main point: I am terrified of assuming God's specific will (differentiating from his general will as revealed in Scripture) in light of my past. I have learned through personal and tragic experience that God sometimes says "no" to prayers, even those we pray most fervently. I want so badly for this community to continue, to thrive, to connect fellow believers, to equip them to perform the Lord's work both online and off, to build a home for people who feel utterly lost and help guide them to a local Bible-teaching church, and, yes, selfishly, to enjoy time, in-game and out, with old and new friends.

But my wanting it doesn't mean it's in God's plans. I passionately hope that God will continue to use the CGA for years to come to bring Him glory. But maybe He has plans for the same folks that comprise the core of our community now to strike out on their own and start other things. The moment I assume God's specific will without constantly reevaluating it, without perpetual prayer, without always seeking His guidance is another day I work in my own strength and design my own plans. And my plans, if they are solely my own, are pretty terrible. I should know. The CGA and ToJ are the only 2 online endeavors that lasted more than a year.

So to answer your question in short: Do I believe that if the bills aren't met by the community in 3 weeks that means it's God's will to let this community end? No, not necessarily. More likely, it would mean downgrading or moving to a monthly billing cycle or closing the TeamSpeak server (as much as that would pain me). But if the invoice deadline comes and we didn't have the money, I would have to step back, find a quiet place to pray, and earnestly wonder if we're meant to continue on as we are.

Now I say all this with sincerity but also with the knowledge that we met our funding goal last night thanks to a single very, VERY generous donation. Yes, we will carry on for another year and I am extremely grateful to our donor. So grateful that I refuse to rest on my hindquarters and wait for another 11 months to pass before fundraising again. This single donation is a tremendous blessing and also a financial sacrifice for one individual.

I've done some rough calculations and, accounting for Paypal fees, we could fund our annual hosting and domain expenses if 8 people in our community gave $5 a month. We already have one member who has given faithfully for years (which is why we started at ~$90 a month this year). I'll be the second. That means if 6 more people donate $5 a month, we're set and we don't have to scramble for donations next year.

That would address the financial issue.

What remains is the issue of community members investing time and energy into helping this community grow and do work that glorifies God, shares the Gospel with others, and edifies fellow Christians.

I'm at the end of my available time to post today, but I hope to have an opportunity to return to this thread tomorrow and share more on my vision regarding member involvement from this point forward.

Not pulling any punches, eh? :)

I've benefited many, many times from words of encouragement, but I've also benefited from difficult questions from folks (such as yours) who may sometimes be perceived as gruff but earnestly seek to advance the kingdom of Christ (such as you). :)

With 3 weeks until the bill is due, pulled punches are kind of out of the question. But thank you for understanding that while I may be perceived as gruff or rude in the way I communicate, I honestly want to see the cause of Christ advanced. My question was merely to convey the seriousness of the situation to everyone involved.

Now I say all this with sincerity but also with the knowledge that we met our funding goal last night thanks to a single very, VERY generous donation. Yes, we will carry on for another year and I am extremely grateful to our donor. So grateful that I refuse to rest on my hindquarters and wait for another 11 months to pass before fundraising again. This single donation is a tremendous blessing and also a financial sacrifice for one individual.

Amen and thank you to the generous individual!

Oh my. A big e-hug to whomever this donor is. ...I confess a mild case of tearing up in gratitude. That is most superb. May God bless you, whomever you are, as you have so generously blessed this community. :D

Looking forward to next post, Tek.

It's possible the donor doesn't wish to remain anonymous, but I want to check with the donor before revealing their identity.

Also, I wanted to clarify that I checked our Paypal account after reading Wolfeman's reply but before typing my reply. So I'd already had some time to think over a reply before I discovered we'd received the very generous donation that put us over our fundraising goal.

Time for bed! More to come soon!

Thank you mysterious donor. Thank you not only for the donation, but listening to God when He speaks. A very rare quality. Five bucks a month? That is less than one fast food meal for two each month. Hmm Micky D's for two once each month, or ts and a server to further God's kingdom?

Praise God!!!

I was shopping with the wife last night ans we were talking about if we had the funds to make a sizable gift. My thought was to try and do a matching gift to maybe persuade others to give a little. But after reviewing the books, we wouldn't have any "extra" for a few weeks(...and if something came up[as it always does]maybe months)

I'm so glad God put it on the heart of another who had the means. Praise God!

The invoice is paid!

We are set on hosting until July 15, 2016!

I've sent an e-mail to our community member who made the donation that put us over the goal with a big "THANK YOU SO MUCH" (yes, in all caps) and asked whether or not they'd prefer to remain anonymous.

I also wanted to thank the community member who has been faithful to give $5 a month since September 2012. I've sent a PM asking our regular donor if they'd prefer to remain anonymous.

I still plan to return to post more regarding the vision for the CGA tonight, but I need to attend to chores at the moment.

For anyone considering setting up a monthly donation: Please wait until I can build some HTML for that purpose. I'll post once I have the page ready.

For anyone considering setting up a monthly donation: Please wait until I can build some HTML for that purpose. I'll post once I have the page ready.
Please disregard. I had thought that Paypal might not charge fees for receiving donations, but that is, unfortunately, not the case.

Please continue to use the Subscriptions page built in to vBulletin 4 to set up recurring monthly donations.

I still plan to return to post more regarding the vision for the CGA tonight, but I need to attend to chores at the moment.
Okay, so those plans didn't pan out, so I'm back tonight to type the follow-up.

I had thought to share some ideas regarding community involvement, including plans to ask active members to post weekly threads with recurring topics (such as posting "What did you learn at church today?" threads on Sundays and encouraging folks to chime in on Sunday nights or Mondays).

I still think weekly topics have merit, but I think it's more important that I identify community members mature in the faith and ask them to consider taking on manageable "bite size" tasks (like creating weekly topics and participating in the conversations) rather than try to fill out a staff roster. I'm not saying staff positions are outdated, but I think a wiser approach during this season of the CGA is to encourage activity by equipping already active members to make these forums a place where people want to visit and post regularly.

Of course, I still maintain that I want the CGA to be a place where people can come back after a season should life pull them away for a while and still feel like they're always welcome.

In many ways, figuring out a plan for money was the easy part. A very generous one-time donation covered us for this year and monthly donors will ensure we're ready for next year's invoice when it comes.

Figuring out how to promote community activity that builds up fellow believers and demonstrates the Gospel to others while also having light-hearted fun along the way is considerably more difficult from a planning perspective, but I want to take a similar approach: Asking several people to take on small assignments, complete those assignments consistently--not out of obligation but because they believe in the vision and potential of this community, and giving more folks more control over the day-to-day business and direction of the CGA.

I could liken it to BitTorrent over download sites (i.e. many people doing a small part rather than a few people doing the lion's share of the work), but that's not a perfect analogy. It gives a rough idea of what I have in mind, though.

It's clear that I can't consistently dedicate long hours or even inconsistent short "bursts" of productive time to the CGA. I'm just no longer in that season of life. But I'm still here, I'm still passionate about what we do now and can do in the future, and I'm not looking to retire just yet. :) I need to take a realistic approach, recognize I can not hope to do this alone, identify and equip people who can help this community grow, and constantly return to prayer and Scripture to check my own heart and the direction of our community.

I know this all sounds like a TL;DR way of saying, "I'm too busy and I need help," but that's not it at all (though I am busy and I do need help; keep reading :)). I have responsibilities that precede the CGA (e.g. family, church, work) and so do all of you, to varying degrees. I need to stop feeling guilty that I put my family first and instead adjust how I lead the CGA, humble myself before God and the community, admit that I've done a pretty terrible job as a leader over the last few years, and ask for help from fellow Christians with a new approach to leading the CGA.

I hope that all made sense. I keep typing hoping it's going to sound coherent but it feels like the right words are just out of reach tonight.

I may take another crack at explaining what I have in mind at a later date in hopes a second attempt will be clearer, but please feel free to ask questions. I'll be happy to answer.

I hope that all made sense. I keep typing hoping it's going to sound coherent but it feels like the right words are just out of reach tonight.

I may take another crack at explaining what I have in mind at a later date in hopes a second attempt will be clearer, but please feel free to ask questions. I'll be happy to answer.
I'm not sure another pass would help make more sense out of what I posted previously.

Has anyone had an opportunity to read over my previous post and think it over?

I'd like to read some reactions before rambling on any more. :)

I read it. The only thing I've thought of for more forum activity are forum games but the only one I know of is Mafia (and that one only extremely vaguely) and haven't looked into what else is out there. Our schedule is always non-existent so for me doing anything consistently is right out. Not to mention I've got so many projects that I need to do, which I don't, I haven't the time to not do more projects XD. I'm fairly consistent on forum's post/account approval within a 48 period but that's all I got, sorry.

I don't think I've ever blamed you for not being around Tek. Problems occur when people say "I'll take responsibility for this" but then don't because we counted on them. That's a different thing entirely. Be realistic about your commitments so you can keep them and I believe you have.

One of these centuries I hope to use the forums to post on my projects for feedback and hype. Just how much to post and keep secret I haven't decided yet. Things have to be much further along for me to post anything regardless.

Last edited:
admit that I've done a pretty terrible job as a leader over the last few years, and ask for help from fellow Christians with a new approach to leading the CGA.
I disagree, yes real life has been a bear for you and Ember, but that is life, and requires prayer from this community. Getting people to cover small portions is a good idea, and may be doable. I would do more, but for the season of my life I am almost maxed out in stress and forgetfulness but I will continue to support where I can. Clarify forum activities just a little please, I may be lost and out to sea there.

Last edited:
So, I think the "bite size" assignments are a good idea. I'm at work now, but I want to get back to you in fuller form soon.

HUGS HONEY!!!! With the recent and heartfelt loss of one of our "older" members even though she wasn't here too much any more I honestly miss a lot of what we "used" to do and have, but again many of us over the past few years have been through various seasons as well. I don't post as much any more even though I do READ, try to ENCOURAGE, and PRAY for those who post I know I've been "lost" to many. God puts each of us where HE needs us to use when HE needs us the most even when we many stray from HIS straight forward path and go through a few loopty loops.

I would be willing to start a "weekly" or "monthly" stickied thread with the Prayer concerns and Praise and Thanksgiving if more people would actually post in that area. Many times people feel they can only share things with those they "know" through games etc. Even the "generic" prayers appreciated or needed, but I would prefer that people actually "take the time to answer" when those have been met again even if in a "generic" way so that others can "sing praises" for their blessings.

I have also "dropped the ball for several years now" on wanting to have the "all day national prayer day"........which is the first Thursday of May and also our yearly "Thanksgiving prayers" during the Thanksgiving Holiday. The first one should have been easy to do; the second due to my choice to have family Christmas with my extended family during the Thanksgiving holidays so my little miss can have her own traditions of being home for Christmas is "my excuse" for not having as much time over that time period. (Also trying to find people to participate can bring a lady's heart down a bit as many who DO can attest.)

Another interactive "game" which could expose all of us to more scripture could be either running a weekly/monthly thread that either "links a particular word or thought" or even runs through a Book of the Bible. (I'm inspired to post today, but my brain is foggy on how to put the explanation out there.)

Tek for someone still in my opinion is such a "young one" your maturity in Godly things is far above many of us, myself included. My heart has always been for "what's right and Godly" even if that pesky devil tends to bruise it more often than my "earthly" side can overcome.

Blessings and Hugs,

"Angel"

Got myself caught up.

I think there are more than a few things that are attributing and I'd like to note that some side winds have impacted us.

trolls:
This may sound odd, but ever since we kind of put an end to trolls (more specifically the "Christian Debate" section), we've been able to relax as a community. While not allowing anger , hurt, and bitterness to spread, I think in some ways we've become complacent and activity definitely took a dip. With no opposition, things may have gotten boring to some. There are both sides to this, and its not as simple as what i've just written. I do think it has contributed to a consistent slow dip in activity.

younger people
I'm curious to know what our average age is now. I can't think of anyone who is under 18, but when I joined almost everyone except leadership type people were under 20 at least. Without recruiting, allowing for new blood to run a little bit wild (see troll above), training/disciple(ing), it makes it difficult to create a culture of growth. When I look at truck forums and some landscaping ones (weird I know), there are always new younger people pushing the envelope and old people saying it cant be done (or pointing out stupidity), but the discourse happens as people are seeking knowledge and community.

We are mostly just a community, but we're struggling without purpose. Where young people are looking for purpose and knowledge, we're not providing that very well.
As with the troll comment, it definitely is a more complicated topic than what I have written, but I do think its worth looking at if we see this as a year to get our act together.

Our own age
I echo Litsfalda on this. I miss what we had in the past and the closeness. This community changed my life. I've become a man that someone was willing to marry and God has used for His good, mostly because I had people in this community invest time, energy, chats, PMs, etc.

The times have changed in that these types of communications, as fragile as they were 10 years ago, have gotten more shallow and fragile especially in the last 5. Replicating what we had won't work completely but I think we can create a good community for people to still participate in.

I speak of age as well in this. I joined as a home schooled 13-year old without much of a clue but just wanted to play Starcraft and eventually counter-strike with people I could get to know. I had all the time in the world to engage with people. >_< and somehow I was still bad at starcraft XD

12 years later, I'm 26, married, working, i'm on my second house, working 40-60 hours a week, leading small groups, mentoring guys, and i suck at starcraft 2 XD
Writing forum posts like this does take time and energy, when I should be setting up Google Ads for some clients and managing some other stuff. Its hard to keep priorities in line and have a concentrated effort to building up the community.

And I know I'm not the only one in this position. Heck I dont even have kids yet and I cant imagine what my time is going to look like at that level.
We're getting older and having to move on T_T

------------------------

Moving forward:
I hear ya tek on the prosperity side too. I'd never be one to base whether a place lives and dies on money.
Sadly that is the way the business world works, God Bless Capitalism.

I do think it is sad that we struggle with funding each year and maybe we can find other solutions to that problem separately, but in the mean time

(WARNING: JARGON AHEAD)

I do think it would behoove us to maybe try to do a strategic issues management plan or something more concrete to improve the community and add benchmarks in to make sure we're doing the right thing.

Of course Prayer needs to be involved. But we do have to be okay with God saying no, allowing others to take the reigns, merge into others, or put concentrated effort into it.

Back