Hunter Talents

shadetaker

Tribe of Judah Lead Recruiter
When I first started getting into my talents I wasn't sure what to do with them, and I was pretty unfocused in term of what I chose. Therefore, I've decided that it's time for me to respec. Here's my current setup:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...200000000000000502510305130512300240000000000

I'm condsidering these two choices, MM speced:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...000000000000000052510305130513320240510000000

or SS speced:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...000000000000000051510305000003320250510003150
with the last Talent put into either scatter shot or wyvern sting

So, I was wondering if you guys could could give me your thoughts, which of these is better, what changes should be made, or you can suggest something totally new. Naturally, I'd prefer to avoid having to respec in the future so I want to get it right this time. Thanks for your help.

Marksman is very good for high and fast damage. However, you really have to learn how to play your character and constantly be looking around for melee classes, because if you ever get to fight a warrior or rogue then the battle may be over right there. Hunters, especially MM hunters, are not good at all at "hand to hand" combat. But, if you do get the first shot, then it's probably GG for the other team. Marksman specced hunters usually have their pets die a lot, or their pets lose aggro due to the hunter doing very high damage.

Beastial is another excellent tree to specc in. It puts more emphasis on your pet, and makes it slightly easier for you to solo. Where beastial hunters really shine is in dungeons when you don't have a tank, because their pets can tank a monster easier than warriors or paladins, and it's not as painful to the group if the tank, your pet, dies. The pets have high resists and armor, and are good for dungeons and PvP. However, this sometimes takes away the joy of playing the game, simply because the pet is on auto-attack, and is doing all (or most) of the work.

Survivability, in my opinion, shouldn't be used as a primary talent tree. I only say that because all the best hunters I've seen are always specced MM or BM (and, it seems to me that it's obvious that MM and BM are the better talent trees anyway).

In summary, if you do dungeons or solo a lot then I suggest Beastial. If you're more concerned about damage and killing fast then I'd suggest Marksman. If you're interested in doing Battlegrounds a lot then either specc is a fair trade-off, and I would pick whichever tree suits you, as the player of the character, best.

Last edited:
Tek7 said:
I'm also looking for advice on Hunter builds. I'm level 18 and I have yet to spend a single talent point.

You need to put them somewhere... at 18 it doesnt matter because you will respec later i GUARANTEE that. You have 9 points to spend!

However,here is my Warlock build.

Last edited:
To Tek, you should spend atleast 11 points in Marksmenship and get Aimed shot, the rest of the points can really be really put anywhere until your 60 :).

LivingbyFaith said:
Here is a link to what Anadi had posted about his hunter build a few months back, I am not real sure if this is still his build but it is a good thing to look at and get an idea of where to put your talants
http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?p=132111#post132111

I still use the same build mentioned in that post.

I looked at the two builds suggested. The mm talents look awesome in both specs, I would say pick scatter shot over wyvern sting because:
- Wyvern can only be used out of combat, scatter shot can be used anytime.
- Serpent sting does pretty much the same dmg as a wyvern except only a little less dmg and lasts 3 seconds longer
- Wyvern has a 2 min cooldown, scatter shot has 30 seconds
- Wyvern puts a target to sleep for 12 seconds, freezing traps last for 20-25 seconds with talents (both used our of combat).

As far as the points in survival goes to me it seems that you don't like Surefooted or Imp FD, in you MM build you can easily switch to 5/31/15 with having 5/5 in imp aspect of the hawk, and having survivalist (assuming this is why you are in SM). In your SM build , you might want to get Surefooted because 3/3 in monster slaying will not go a long way unless your going to be pve-ing a lot, even then its really not that helpful.

As far as Tebran goes, 30 SM > 31 BM. The 15% agility adds crit and dmg for hunters so it is useful both in pvp and pve. Beastial wrath just isn't the same with the pet speed nerf a few patches ago, really good casters can just kite the pet around for 15 seconds taking little to no dmg.

Don't get me wrong, BM is probably the best for lvling (hands down the best tree to go after getting 11 in MM for aimed shot)

Back