Results from questionnaire on Christians and Game Communities

GameProf

Hi all,

I don't know how many of you remember this, but about 3 months ago, I posted on this forum asking for people to participate in a questionnaire about Christians and video game-based communities. Although the results came in in early November, I haven't had a chance to tell people here about what I found because I was busy working on the book that led to the survey (the questionnaire was info for one of the 10 chapters). However, I submitted the manuscript to the publisher on Dec. 19, and so now that I'm done a bit of a break, I've had some time to compile a quick summary of the questionnaire results, and I thought I'd post it here for people to look at, because your community was key in getting this done.

I will warn in advance, however, that a "quick summary" does not mean polished or short. I'm in a desperate time pinch as my semester starts next week, and I have to prepare 3 courses in the time left to me, so the report is not perfectly written, not laid out as neatly as I'd like, and far too long. But you may still appreciate skimming through it and picking out interesting nuggets of information.

As to the book (tentatively titled God in the Machine: A Christian Exploration of Video Games--but that may change shortly), the submission of the manuscript is just the beginning of a long process of editing, typesetting and market planning, so it won't be coming out until early 2013. When it does, you can be sure I'll be promoting it anywhere and everywhere I can, and I'm sure I'll be asking you to help spread the word about it. In the meantime, I'm happy to chat with you via email about whatever you'd like to know about the book (although be aware that it sometimes takes me a bit to respond given the volume of email I deal with every week!).

I really want to thank you for helping with my work, and I hope and pray that this project may bear some good fruit.

Sincerely,

Kevin Schut
Trinity Western University
Langley, BC, Canada

Moderator's note: The revised copy of Kevin's work is available here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very interesting. Please keep us updated on progress with the book. If nothing else it shows many Christian gamers are very thoughtful about their faith and gaming in general.

Congrats to the winner of the game card, and thank you so much for the book. As ursen said 'If nothing else it shows many Christian gamers are very thoughtful about their faith and gaming in general.'

God bless your classes coming up :)

I believe two of those questions (I forget what it was, but I think they were numbered 7 and 8) were identical, with different answers. Maybe I misunderstood, but just wanted to point that out to you.

Very informative, very thorough. Interesting to read :D

I believe the questions were supposed to read (in order):

7) Do you consider anyone you have met and primarily know online a "close friend?"

8) Do you consider anyone you haven't met an primarily know online a "close friend?"

But I don't know for sure. :)

I think you are correct, Neirai. In the survey the questions were different, but in the report they are worded exactly the same.

Lol if that typo is all you found, then he has done well indeed with the pressure cooker of work he probably has.

Oops. Yes, that's a typo. Probably not worth re-posting everything for that. If we find a lot more, I'll change and repost. I put it together fairly quickly, and as you can see, it's a lot of data to wade through. Hopefully there aren't too many other mistakes like that.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. It's been a good experience. And congrats again, TheRedView!

Kevin

p.s. if I don't reply on these boards for a while, it's because I'm only checking once in a while.

I fixed the report. You can access the updated version here. I'll also edit the first post of this thread to add that link. Sorry for the mistakes and thanks for catching them!

Oops. Apparently I no longer have the ability to edit the first post. If some moderator or something wants to do that, feel free.

I downloaded and skimmed the data the day GameProf posted this thread and it was a very interesting read. I knew many of the CGA forum regulars were students, but I didn't realized they comprised such a large percentage of our community.

It was a bit surreal to sit back and look over data as President of the Alliance and President of Tribe of Judah. It really encouraged me to read the comments from others with a shared vision for the larger Christian gaming community. When I founded ToJ in 1999, "Christian gamers" were "double outcasts," having trouble finding acceptance in the church because of a hobby vilified by many out of ignorance and trouble finding acceptance among gamers because of their faith and behavior. I think that's changed significantly over the last 12 years, though it's clear that there's still just as much of a need for an online "home" for Christian gamers as ever.

Kevin, I wish you the best with your efforts and I look forward to reading more of your work!

Oops. Apparently I no longer have the ability to edit the first post. If some moderator or something wants to do that, feel free.
Done.

We added a time limit for user edits a few years back when someone removed some inflammatory comments he had made.

Back