Pallies vs. Druids

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
Deltara asked me for this info last night, but we never got to talking so here it is:

Healadins, Tankadins, Restos, and Bears

Basically the point of this post is to compare druids and pallies in terms of healing and tanking.

Healing

Please bear in mind that I have not been a resto druid for quite some time now... but I did play one for a while.

Druids:
Strengths:
Druid healing majors on Heal-over-time spells, an area where the druid is unmatched. With regrowth + rejuvenation stacking with each other, a druid can create upwards of 500 healing/3 seconds on a target for an extended period of time. Druids typically also create less threat when they heal. Druids also have Innervate, which allows them to restore mana to a single target (not just themselves) every 6 minutes. One of the resto druid's most powerful abilities is Nature's Swiftness, which allows them to cast one healing spell instantly -- a huge bonus when things go crappy in a fight. And don't lets forget the in-combat rezzes!

Weaknesses:
Lack of fast healing... Nature's Swiftness is the only way to cast a fast healing spell, and you can only do that every 3 minutes. Okay, I'm a little old-school... Swiftmend lets you do fast heals now, but it also takes more time, and more mana. Flash healing is not the druid's forte. Druids also lack any form of shielding spell, and their healing does tend to be mana-intensive. Also, the half-hour cooldown on rezzes can be a pain.

Compared to a priest:
The druid is more of a 'brute force' healer, and often outperforms the priest on Healing meters, but many druids must watch out for overhealing numbers as they can often waste their mana healing a fully-healed target. Druids lack any form of "fade" abilities, which prevent them from losing aggro once they pull it. Finally, priest's bubbles and aoe heals definitely outperform the druid in those areas.

Pallies:
Strengths:
In many ways, the Healadin is the antithesis of the druid. Healadins excel as flash healers, and their spells are very mana-efficient. Many times I have heard it said that "Flash of Light is the most efficient healing spell in the game." Moreover, this efficiency is bolstered by the Healadin's ability to cast all critical spell hits for free. This, coupled with an ability to force a mana-less critical hit every 2 minutes, makes the Healadin one of the most mana-efficient healers in the game. Add to those statistics a large amount of armor and possibly a shield, and the ability to bubble targets to prevent them from taking any damage, and you have one rocking healbot.

Weaknesses:
Keeping with the antithesis of the druid theme, the Healadin has no HoT spells whatsoever. No Heal over Time. None. The only way a Healadin can "heal over time" is with Judgement of Light. Yeesh! This lack of HoT capabilities makes a Paladin prone to overheals and makes it quite hard for them to heal a teddytank. Also, the Healadin has no effective way of regaining mana once he has lost it, although this is changing in BC, somewhat.

Compared to a priest:
Healadins are quite different healers imho than priests are. When compared to a priest, a Healadin comes up short on the healing end of things, but greatly overcomes a priest when it comes to combat durability. A Healadin does not have to hang out behind the mages in order to survive, instead it can get right up there with the meleers, which is on of the Healadin's greatest assets. Bubbles and Lay On Hands also allow for a lot of emergency flexibility.

Tanking:

I'm gonna do this a bit different because this is my "field of expertise." However, I do expect Connor to come along and correct me about my pally info. All pally info will attempt to take BC into consideration as Tankadining really gets changed up in BC.

Power Source:
Warrior: Rage. Rage builds up during battles and never is completely exhausted. On the other hand, if rage is unable to be generated properly (because of a ranged, or flighty boss, or a shield) the warrior is gimped.
Teddy: Rage. See above.
Tankadin: Mana. Mana runs down during a battle and eventually is exhausted. On the plus side, Mana is not effected by relative boss position or shielding. In BC, Tankadin's mana will replenish as the Tankadin is healed, alleviating the mana problem to a certain point.
Who wins? Warriors and Teddies in Classic, but in BC I'm confidant that this is a tossup.

Damage Mitigation:
Warrior: High defense skill and shield mechanics allow the warrior to avoid many of the nasty high-damage effects that would otherwise cause huge amounts of damage. Unfortunately, any non-blocked/defended critical or crushing hits will do their full damage (which is a lot) to Warriors. Warriors are the only class that can willfully force a shield block.
Teddy: Extremely high armor and HP, but no shield and limited defense skill are the teddy's lot in life. Teddies will in fact take a huge number of those nasty high-damage effects, but those effects will do significantly less damage to a teddy. As a result, Teddies have a much smoother damage chart than warriors or pallies, but this chart moves more quickly.
Tankadin: Tankadins have access to the same or similar itemizations as warriors, and so much of the tankadin's damage mitigation is the same as the warriors. But, unlike the warrior, the tankadin employs his shield in different ways. A tankadin's shield tends to come up powerfully as a result of being the brunt of a critical or crushing blow, and then stays up for a number of attacks. Basically, after a Tankadin takes a nasty extra-damage attack, he or she becomes immune to that sort of thing for a small amount of time.
Who wins? That depends on who you ask. :)

Threat Generation: This is a big one!
Warrior: Warriors create threat by the use of special, threat-causing abilities, such as Sunder Armor. The amount of threat that the Warriors create is independant of enemy armor as long as Sunder Armor is not resisted. However, this means that the Warrior's aggro generation is dependant on his rage and his ability to stay near the target. Warriors also have a melee-range taunt that they can use to grab aggro.
Teddy: Teddies create threat with each and every action they do. Faerie Fire, Demoralizing Roar, Thorns, and Frenzied Regeneration are all valid sources of Teddy threat. However, enemy armor and defense can limit the effectiveness of the Teddy's threat generation. Teddies are less dependant on rage and positioning (FF can be cast behind the teddy, and Frenzied Regen can be used as a AoE threat gen) than warriors, but this is still a factor. Teddies also gain rage quickly if they score critical hits. Teddies have a melee-range taunt that is similar to a warrior's.
Tankadin: Tankadins' threat generation is different than a warrior or teddy's. Basically, Tankadins get aggro by LAYING DOWN HOLY SMACK. Therefore, a Tankadin basically uses as many attack spells (SoC, Consecration, Ret aura, exorcism, et al) as possible with the most +spelldam he or she can muster. This means that, unlike teddies and warriors, an effective Tankadin must have high DPS and know how to use it. Any source of holy damage will cause threat, however. In BC, Tankadins will have a long-ranged taunt that will work differently than a warrior or teddy's.
Who wins? At this point, I'm going for the warrior. On the flip side, I'm constantly flipping aggro off of warriors, so I'm not sure.
**A brief note on Tank transitions: Seasoned warriors are good at tank transitions. Teddies suck at them. Tankadins should excell at tank transitions because they don't need to be anywhere near each other to transition.**

Multi-target Tanking:
Warriors: Warriors are quite limited in their ability to tank multiple targets; if they go for the AoE tank model, it is quite often in Berzerker stance, which jeopardizes their threat generation and survivability.
Teddies: Teddies can tank up to three targets reasonably well, but then the Teddies don't do much damage to their targets... they basically don't do anything BUT tank those targets. Teddies can tank more than three targets, using Roars and Frenzigen, but in that case their aggro hold is very tentative.
Tankadins: Concecration, Ret Aura, Holy Wrath. 'Nuff said.
Who wins? The Tankadin, hands down.

Priest bubbles and emergency situations:
Warriors: Warriors have Last Stand, Shield Wall, and a few other nice buttons that they can press when things go bad. These often make the difference between a whipe and a win. Bubbles, on the other hand, are bad for Warriors, because they largely prevent them from getting any rage.
Teddies: Teddies do not have any anti-fluky boss buttons. This means that a Teddy relies completely on his armor and heals... And when the boss is a chronically fluky boss, that's a bad thing. Teddies can generate threat from inside a bubble, but it still does do bad things to the teddy's rage. A Teddy should only be shielded when he knows that he has a good hold on his aggro.
Tankadins: Tankadins have Divine Shield and the ability to heal themselves when things get bad. Sure, healing stops aggro gen, but so does dying. Tankadins do not use rage at all, so they don't mind being inside a PW:S at all.
Who Wins? Tankadins, again.

Stat requirements:
Warriors: Stamina, Strength, Defense, Block, Parry. I think that's the whole list. Very easy to get items that have these things if you are a Warrior.
Teddies: Stamina, Critical hit%. That's it. Largely, "Stamina" is what you want. Hard to get decent Teddy loot, but easy to get passible loot.
Tankadins: Stamina, Strenght, Intellect, Spirit, Defense, Block, Parry, +Spelldamage, +Spellcrit, +mana/5. It is much harder to get first class Tankadin loot.
Who Wins? Warriors, by far.

Anyhow, that's it for now. I may add to this later, perhaps as Deltara asks me specific questions.

oops sorry that i disappeared after asking you about this last night... girlfirend called and we got into stuff... by the time we finished talking i had totally forgotten about WoW stuff
however, thanks for putting this up here for me to consider. I guess I wont make any big decisions on speccing my pally and druid til BC (esp since neither are very close to 60 yet) but food for thought for now

Nice job there, it was an interesting read. More so since i have a 60 warrior,60 druid and my Pally is now 57. Although my druid was in the very early wow days and bear form was pretty much completely useless then so never really tanked with him ever.

I really liked the way you explained things, once again job good :)

I should point out that with a latent in-combat charge and a single ranged threat ability (FF), teddies excel at keeping tabs on roaming or moving bosses... Warriors have neither (they have to berserker stance in order to intercept). Tankadins have Righteous Defense in BC, making them able to taunt at range which helps somewhat as well, but in practice may suffer if the target was aggroed on healers who keep healing. I'd say druids have the upper hand here but it is questionable.

I also see a big difference between Druids and Paladins in that Druids can really only fill 1 role at a time. We can cast in feral forms and we can't take damage in Humanoid form. It also costs us a chunk of mana to switch forms and we can't use potions in forms (this is changing in BC?)

In Raid content this limitation isn't that big of a deal since everyone pretty much has their roles defined ahead of time. In small group content its hard to jump back and forth as a Druid, but it is FUN! I love being in groups in places like ST and having to use all 3 forms in a single fight. That is when I love being a druid.

An interesting little thing I noticed about TeddyTaunt the other night... it's not the same as a warrior taunt. When a warrior taunts, the warrior is moved up the list to the number 1 position. Technically, when the druid taunts, it moves everyone else down the list for a set period of time.... then returns.

Tank transitions...the teddy is really in trouble unless the teddy is swapping places with another teddy... in which case you can shapeshift out...back into cat if needed to drop it quick.

Randy -- Hate to say it, but you're dead wrong. As with Warrior Taunt, Teddy Taunt makes your threat equal to Highest_Other_Threat+1.

Care must be taken with taunting to not do it when you are in the lead in threat, because it will move your threat to the next highest person +1, which is not something you want to do if you are currently at next highest person +2993 or something.

Like the warrior's taunt, it also puts you at the top of the list for four seconds so you can build aggro... except that the warrior's taunt does this for six seconds according to the tooltip.

To be frank, if you are noticing that "after four seconds it returns" you need to work on your threat generation :) Typically I find that most warriors that play with me think that their taunts work that way. ;)

Yeah, after taunting make sure you get a maul/swipe off and it never hurts to FFF anytime its available, Demo Shout also. This will get your threat number up for when the taunt ends. Maul and Swipe generate more threat than warriors since its our only way to generate threat.

Some more Tankadin specifics. I pass on Dodge and parry items because of the mechanics of my threat generation. Dodged and parried attacks do not proc ret aura and damage return gear along with reducing the chance for a block which procs things like shield spikes, sancturary and holy shield. Outside of Judging righteousness or spamming consecration, it is imperative that my targets hit me to keep up threat over those dropping 1k+ dmg hits.

Holy specced tankadins have a ranged taunt in Holy Shock. Paladins also benefit from two ranged holy attacks that generate high amounts of threat for undead/demon targets which will be big in BC and in Naxx.

Personally, I very much agree that Paladins have the edge on multiple target tanking, especially if they gear up with damage return gear like I have. It is just disapointing that there is not enough content that requires multiple target tanking in the game especially in a raid situation. For instance, the bat flights on the bat boss in ZG.

Great read! I agree with just about everything you said.... except your bit about paladin bubbles. While I am not positive, having not really tried to tank with a paladin before, but once the paladin bubble goes up, won't the mobs just move elsewhere?

I ask because with my frost mage when I ice block any mobs on me move to other players. This could be quite bad if not coordinated by a OT "taunt/growl" the mob to him.

Perhaps a tankadin could comment here?

We actually have four shields and all are detrimental to paladin tanking if used with one exception.

Divine Intervention is instant death to the paladin so that one is a given not to use if you are MT paladin.

Divine Shield has the negative impact that you are not generating agro via retribution aura, sanctuary, holy shield and any damage return gear along with supressing the proccing of redoubt. You can still cast spells and attack to start gaining agro again but a MT paladin should avoid this. As in individual it is great, in a raid, that is what your healers are for (sort of like a Warrior wouldn't hamstring a boss mid fight to run away and heal).

Divine Protection is even worse then Divine Shield in its negative impact as you can only cast (no melee attacks) while bubbled which further reduces agro generation.

The last shield is Blessing of Protection. Using it causes what ever target it is cast on to instantly loose agro. Again, this is a bad one to use on the Paladin MT but great to use on the DPS/Healer that wasn't paying attention to their threat and has pulled the boss off the Paladin MT. It works best if you are the second highest on the threat list as it guarantees you will be the next target.

Right, but with the BC talent "improved divine shield" you lose much of the penalty for having used Divine Shield.

With all due respect, I'm not sure a feedback tank will be superior to a straight holiness tank in BC... although we'll have to see to know.

Back