30 Minute Reviews: DDR Hottest Party (Wii)

Durruck

Pirate!
Ok, I admit it. I'm a dork. The whole reason I chose the Wii over PS3, XB360 was because of the motion controllers. I play a 360 at work, and it's the same old thing, to be honest. My wife and I were looking for something we could do and could provide a little bit of exercise.

So I picked up the Wii, which came with the sports pack, and bought the DDR:HP. I've never played any DDR games before, although I did marvel at the kids in the mall. So I don't have a basis of comparing *this* DDR to other DDR games.

This game is a little pricey - retails for US$70. However, it does come with the game and the dancepad. Generic dancepads cost around $20-30, and the higher grade pads cost as much as $70. So $70 for game & pad didn't seem too bad to me.

After putting in the disc, the first thing I found was something that I was disappointed with: the "character selection." When I played the sports games, I was able to import my Mii to record my specific data. I couldn't do that with DDR:HP. I had to use generic toons, my data was not tracked separately from my wife's data... so we honestly can't tell who had which high scores, who's making the most progress, etc.

Beyond that, the game is a blast. It starts off with a super easy song that gets your warmed up and gets DDR-newbs accustomed to dancing. You can step it up in difficulty and add motion-controller actions, jumps, and other little things as you get better at the basics. The songs range at 80-160 beats/minute, so you can increase the speed as well as the technical difficulty along the way.

The only other major thing that I didn't like was that the pad slid on my carpet quite a bit, so I'd have to move it back, re-center it after every song. Maybe I got a little overzealous. Not sure.

The game has 4-player support, so you can snag extra pads and play with family/friends. (There are even some features only activated in the multi-player mode; I don't have a 2nd pad yet, so I can't give you much feedback on them). There are about 20 tracks from the last 30 years of music - i recognized about 70% of the songs, but the ones I didn't know were still very fun to dance to. Lastly, there is a workout mode, which does track you by a profile you create inside DDR...not tied to a Mii. Input a little bit of data, and it tracks your progress in the workout mode only: KCal burned, time exercised, etc. Nice little thing if your goal is a little bit of fitness (like mine)

Overall, I'm very happy with DDR:HP. If you're a DDR fan or looking for exercise, this one would be a good purchase.

Hm. I just got to looking around... should these be posted in the PureFun forums...or is PF considered a sub-group of its own?

And I suppose it should also be added to the original review:

Please consult your doctor before beginning any exercise program.

The game is all about hard-impact - anyone with bad feet/ankles/knees/hips/backs may have increased problems after playing. The game also has a seizure warning posted for a significant amount of flashing/blinking lights.

As always, be safe in your gaming :)

The only other major thing that I didn't like was that the pad slid on my carpet quite a bit, so I'd have to move it back, re-center it after every song. Maybe I got a little overzealous. Not sure.
Judging from my own experience with Dance Praise and StepMania, it's normal for soft pads to slip. Unfortunately, metal pads like Red Octane's Afterburner are far more expensive than soft pads.

I was tempted to pick up DDR:HP myself, but it doesn't seem to offer enough new content to shell out $70 for the same game I'm playing now on my computer. And if I wanted to play the game with my wife, I'd have to buy another pad, which will only work for the Wii (as opposed to Red Octane's multiplatform pads that work on the PC, Playstation 2, and Xbox).

For now, I'll content myself with StepMania and the soft pad that came with the copy of Dance Praise that CCGR gave me.

(But I will probably rent DDR:HP.)

I vote that we keep these in the general discussion. It is nice to have fresh material to troll over every other day.

OHMIGAWSH U STOLE TEK7'S IDEA.

jk

im not a big ddr fan (heck ive never even touched the game once) but its a nice review, sounds like the game could use a bit of work but its a nice game overall.

Yeh, it was a flat rip from Tek. I thought it was a cool idea :)

After playing another hour, i found that there are new songs, platforms, venues, competitions, and even clothes for the toons. It's even cooler than I thought before.

i love DDR and someday I'll get to play it again. I bought it for my Xbox a while back, but I never played it simply because everything in my house shook when I played. I was afraid things were going to fall over if I tried any of the faster songs, so I sold it.

Someday when I move to a new house with a basement that can be finished, I'm going to build a game room in my basement. The basement in my house now gets to wet though, and my wife and I aren't planning to move for at least 2-3 years.

OHMIGAWSH U STOLE TEK7'S IDEA.

Yeh, it was a flat rip from Tek. I thought it was a cool idea :)
And they say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. Or at least they did say that, before Mickey Mouse handed Sonny Bono a briefcase full of money then shoved him into a tree. Now you're lucky if you get the courtesy of a Cease and Desist letter before they unleash the hou--err, lawyers.

All mockery of copyright law enforcement aside, I am flattered that someone would think the idea good enough to build on. I figure most gamers don't have as much time to play all the games they would like to play, so anyone with an inkling to write a 30 Minute Review is welcome to do so.

that means eminem and p.didy are the most flattered men alive... i said that sentence right aye? ( i h8 english class)
I think you meant that Eminem and P. Diddy (or whatever he's calling himself this week) flatter others more often than anyone else. Since they imitate (or steal from, depending on your perspective) others in most of their recordings, they are the ones flattering, not the ones being flattered.

I guess they call it "sampling" when you have written permission from the original author's label and "copyright infringement" when you don't.

</offtopic>

Those interested in an inexpensive alternative to console DDR games should check out StepMania and the legitimately free tracks available from their web site.

Judging from my own experience with Dance Praise and StepMania, it's normal for soft pads to slip. Unfortunately, metal pads like Red Octane's Afterburner are far more expensive than soft pads.

Afterburner is totally worth the price. I got two a month and a half ago and have been very pleased. I found some great places for Stepmania songs and was able to get all the arcade songs as well as several other...700+ or something like that. Look into the Ignition soft pads. You should be able to find them from about $50 at EB/Gamestop instead of $7 - $100 off the website.

Back