The Vision of Tribe of Judah (Full thread)

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
I'm currently working on a number of documents and guides for Tribe of Judah, but realized that there is no single, highly visible post that explains my vision for ToJ. Rather than wait until the "work in progress" documents are finished, I've decided to share my vision for ToJ in a public thread.

Let me first share a passage that represents the "root" of Tribe of Judah's mission:
Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
Matthew 22:37-39

Another favorite verse:
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

How do these verses apply to us as Christian gamers? It means that games are a means to an end, and not the end themselves. Even while participating in recreational activities, the Bible says that we can give glory to God. If this sounds absurd, consider the Christian athlete who always plays according to the rules, refuses to take steroids, and openly credits God with giving him or her the skills to be an excellent athlete. Our love for Christ is displayed in everything we do, even how we play video games.

You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
2 Corinthians 3:3

As Tribe of Judah members, we give glory to God through gaming. This means that our actions should show evidence of Christ's work in our individual lives; we are called to give Him credit for the many blessings He's given us. It also means sacrificing our time, giving of our talents, and demonstrating compassion to all people. Since Christ redeemed us, we are not our own, but His. Our love for Christ is possible because He first loved us. We demonstrate our love for Christ through worshipping him, but also by obeying his commandments.

These commandments include the Great Commission, in which Christ calls us to preach the good news of the Gospel and make disciples. To quote St. Francis of Assisi, "Preach the Gospel always, and when necessary, use words." We preach the Gospel through our witness as well as our words. The Great Commission also mentions discipleship, which means to teach the Word of God to Christians and help them develop their personal relationships with Christ.

How we preach, teach, and glorify God through games varies from person to person, but our faith and love for Christ unite us and empower us to serve Him.

That is a summary of the vision of Tribe of Judah. If you have any questions or comments, please post a reply.

Wow. Very eloquent, and obviously from the heart. Thanks for your dedication, and for all the time you're putting into this. Most of all, thanks for helping us all bring the Light into a dark arena.

And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

For the negativity part, the only "good" neighbor you have are Non-Christians, and yet, no one says they "love" them unless referred or asked, if thats just a metaphor.

consider the Christian athlete who always plays according to the rules, refuses to take steroids, and openly credits God with giving him or her the skills to be an excellent athlete.

IF it refers to the ToJ Server Game rules, then is it the same as above?
Example: Someone supiciously too good, "openly credits God with......being excellent", would that be true or false?

An strict example: If a ToJ'er does not follow the rules, does that person make you/them a lesser christian?

and demonstrating compassion to all people.

You should really define, "all people", since ToJ may not accept everyone, religion/religious or not.

Corpfox said:
For the negativity part, the only "good" neighbor you have are Non-Christians, and yet, no one says they "love" them unless referred or asked, if thats just a metaphor.

love is an action, it's something you do, a way of life. it's how you treat people. it's wishing and doing good to everybody. (but not limited to that)

An strict example: If a ToJ'er does not follow the rules, does that person make you/them a lesser christian?

no, it just means that we're all sinners, and none of us are perfect.

You should really define, "all people", since ToJ may not accept everyone, religion/religious or not.

having compassion on all people is exactly that. having compassion on all people. acceptance and compassion are not always the same. i.e. I have compassion on/love homosexuals, but I don't accept their lifestyle.

I don't mean to open this into debate but when someone asks how you go about demonstrating the love of Christ during a Counter-Strike or Unreal session?

Again, not trying to start something, but I can see plenty of atheists who feed off of hypocrisy having a field day with this, and I'd like to know what you believe the approach should be in responding to something like that>

I would say just by being there.There are far worse places to reach out and some places you just can't go but where you can go basically nomatter where it is, its where you should be!

one of my coworkers this summer told me of a catholic priest he knew that would go drinking in bars with his collar on... i guess it's similar. take Christ to where He wants to go.

Baron Squirrel said:
one of my coworkers this summer told me of a catholic priest he knew that would go drinking in bars with his collar on... i guess it's similar. take Christ to where He wants to go.

OK, but what would you say to someone who argues that you could say the same for the strip club, and much as you kill in the game, you're paying the strippers to take their clothes off. Is this a price you pay to take Jesus into the strip club?

Dont have to pay for sin oh wait you do have to pay for your sins(death) hehehe or have them paid for wOOt.Where ever you go,go with spiritual armor and avoid places that can injure your standing.God does not dis alcohol but he does not approve of drunk's or lust so if your tough enuff to avoid both them then plant that seed wherever you can and pray for fertile soil.

MeridianFlight said:
OK, but what would you say to someone who argues that you could say the same for the strip club, and much as you kill in the game, you're paying the strippers to take their clothes off. Is this a price you pay to take Jesus into the strip club?

i'm not really sure how to respond to that... but i'll try...

i guess it's a matter of which sin you struggle more with. if you are more prone to anger, then you shouldn't play violent games. if you are prone to lust, stay away from strip clubs. if you are an alcoholic, stay away from bars.

if, somehow, God's love is shown in what you are doing, then you are doing your job. if you are able to convince someone in that stip club/game/bar/where ever that they need Christ, or brought them closer to that revelation, then you have done the Father's will.

I don't mean to open this into debate but when someone asks how you go about demonstrating the love of Christ during a Counter-Strike or Unreal session?

Again, not trying to start something, but I can see plenty of atheists who feed off of hypocrisy having a field day with this, and I'd like to know what you believe the approach should be in responding to something like that>

NIV said:
Romans 2:1
[ God's Righteous Judgment ] You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Are they enjoying a game, and yet pass judgment on you for doing the same thing?

NIV said:
1 Corinthians 9
3This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me. 4Don't we have the right to food and drink? 5Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas? 6Or is it only I and Barnabas who must work for a living?
7Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk? 8Do I say this merely from a human point of view? Doesn't the Law say the same thing? 9For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned? 10Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest. 11If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? 12If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more?

19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
Others enjoy the fruit of thier harvest.. Why would we be excluded?

NIV said:
1 Corinthians 9:10
Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.

NIV said:
John 4:36
Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together.

1 Corinthians 9:11
If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?

It's a game... ENJOY IT, and give thanksgiving to God! :XD

NIV said:
Colossians 3:17
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Back