May not have reliable Internet access after Mar. 1

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
As stated in several previous threads, my wife and I are moving every 8 weeks while she finishes her externships for her last year of graduate school. Her sixth and final rotation brings us to Ada, Oklahoma, a town of approximately 16,000 people with limited options for broadband Internet access.

The apartment we'll be living in for the 8 weeks of the rotation only offers one option: wireless Internet that operates only 4-7 times faster than dial-up. The connection costs $40-$50 a month, requires a 1-year contract, and carries a $200 fee if canceled before the first year of service ends.

I have called the local cable and DSL companies and confirmed they do not offer service where we'll be living.

The Ada public library offers free wi-fi, but the connection would not be secured and thus not usable for e-mail, checking forums, playing games on Steam, or anything but browsing web sites.

In short, I have no viable options for secure broadband Internet access for 8 weeks starting March 1. This means I may be offline during the weekdays starting March 3 and ending May 2.

My wife and I do plan on visiting Tulsa on the weekends during the Ada rotation as often as possible. While there, we plan to stay with my parents, who have a secure broadband connection and wireless router which I set up several months ago.

I am staying with my wife at her parents' house until the morning of March 1, so I will be able to check and reply to e-mails, PMs, and forum posts for the next three days.

If you are interested in volunteering for any Christian Gamers Alliance or Tribe of Judah staff position, please do so as soon as possible and I will make every effort to equip you with the access you need before the morning of March 1.

After my wife's rotation ends on May 2, we will be traveling to St. Louis for her graduation. We currently do not know where we will be living starting May 11.

I had hoped to have both the Alliance and Tribe of Judah at full staff before the Ada rotation, but responses to "Help Wanted" threads have been few and far between. I will do what I can to manage these groups with limited or no Internet access during the months of March and April, but want the community to know in advance that my time online will be severely limited for this period.

On a related note, I've read articles on using a remote server to encrypt traffic even while browsing on public wi-fi. Could one of our more technically inclined forum members provide further detail on what I will need and how to set up such a server?

Move Elihu and his wife and house to Ada, OK.

Move in with Elihu.

There!

Problem solved.

Both viable options....

And since they both had ideas that makes them perfect canidates to handle some of your duties Tek.

I nominate both of them.

I know you may have looked into it but does any of your cellphone providers have internet connection. May not be the fastest, but it's fairly reliable (bad weather could change that) and then your internet could move with you where ever you go... A lot of my friends use Verizon and looks like they have some internet options.

I know you may have looked into it but does any of your cellphone providers have internet connection. May not be the fastest, but it's fairly reliable (bad weather could change that) and then your internet could move with you where ever you go... A lot of my friends use Verizon and looks like they have some internet options.
Already checked into the cell card deal and the hardware is way too expensive ($300 without a contract) to remain a viable option.

:(

Yeah, until recently I have lived in the middle of no where, and there are really no good options for high speed if DSL or Cable in not in your area unless you are rich...

I need to make this quick since my battery is getting ready to die:
  • None of my neighbors here in Ada have a wireless router. In other words, there aren't any open wireless networks to tap into.
  • There's a few places nearby that have free wi-fi with purchase. That means I'll be able to get online occasionally, but I won't be on nearly as often or for nearly as long as when I was living in Tulsa.
  • If CGA staff, affiliate leaders, or affiliate staff have any forum requests, please send them to Hescominsoon via PM and copy me on the PM.
  • If you're interested in any ToJ or CGA staff positions, be sure to contact me before Saturday, March 8. I plan to visit Tulsa this coming weekend and spend an hour or two online catching up with administrative tasks that pile up during the week.

As stated in several previous threads, my wife and I are moving every 8 weeks while she finishes her externships for her last year of graduate school. Her sixth and final rotation brings us to Ada, Oklahoma, a town of approximately 16,000 people with limited options for broadband Internet access.

The apartment we'll be living in for the 8 weeks of the rotation only offers one option: wireless Internet that operates only 4-7 times faster than dial-up. The connection costs $40-$50 a month, requires a 1-year contract, and carries a $200 fee if canceled before the first year of service ends.

I have called the local cable and DSL companies and confirmed they do not offer service where we'll be living.

The Ada public library offers free wi-fi, but the connection would not be secured and thus not usable for e-mail, checking forums, playing games on Steam, or anything but browsing web sites.

In short, I have no viable options for secure broadband Internet access for 8 weeks starting March 1. This means I may be offline during the weekdays starting March 3 and ending May 2.

My wife and I do plan on visiting Tulsa on the weekends during the Ada rotation as often as possible. While there, we plan to stay with my parents, who have a secure broadband connection and wireless router which I set up several months ago.

I am staying with my wife at her parents' house until the morning of March 1, so I will be able to check and reply to e-mails, PMs, and forum posts for the next three days.

If you are interested in volunteering for any Christian Gamers Alliance or Tribe of Judah staff position, please do so as soon as possible and I will make every effort to equip you with the access you need before the morning of March 1.

After my wife's rotation ends on May 2, we will be traveling to St. Louis for her graduation. We currently do not know where we will be living starting May 11.

I had hoped to have both the Alliance and Tribe of Judah at full staff before the Ada rotation, but responses to "Help Wanted" threads have been few and far between. I will do what I can to manage these groups with limited or no Internet access during the months of March and April, but want the community to know in advance that my time online will be severely limited for this period.

On a related note, I've read articles on using a remote server to encrypt traffic even while browsing on public wi-fi. Could one of our more technically inclined forum members provide further detail on what I will need and how to set up such a server?
Tek:
cable, dsl, dialup, any internet access is not secured. So pyaing steam on the public wifi or your wireless provider is no more dangerous then doing it anywhere else..the same for e-mail or anything else. Everything is sent in the clear on cable and dsl and can be intercepted as easily as anywhere else.

this really saddens me as I'm losing my favorite medic for far too long. at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

this really saddens me as I'm losing my favorite medic for far too long. at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Aww!

I miss gaming with you all, too. I have yet to find a place where I can get online AND plug my notebook in to a power port, so I don't know when I'll be donning my white lab coat and wielding my healgun again.

:(

Back