NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Sounds pleasant, right?

I left my notebook running Trillian and X-Chat 2 earlier today and when I came back, I was greeted with a blue screen and the following message:

Code:
*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
*** The system has halted ***

I'm online with a Dell tech support agent now.

I just wanted to let you all know that I might not be online as much for the next few days while I get this sorted out and I definitely won't be playing TF2 until this gets fixed.

I've been getting a machine check exception on my desktop along with a bunch of wacko driver issues with windows. I am debating whether I want to mess with it more or rebuild it into a quad core for ~300 dollars inc. shipping.

Okay, Dell is shipping out a new video card tomorrow.

I've got the URL for instructions to replace the video card saved on the desktop computer I'm using now.

I'll still be able to check the forums, but I won't be able to play any games online until I receive and install the new video card. The Dell support tech it will take 2-3 business days to arrive, so I'll probably be back online next Monday or Tueday.

UPDATE: I just got a call from Dell tech support informing me they would send a Dell tech to my place of residence to replace the video card for me.

Bah.

Oh well. I'm fine with having someone else do it as long as it doesn't delay the process.

UPDATE: I just chatted with a Dell support representative online and was told that the "transition" on my support ticket was "delayed."

In other words, instead of a Dell tech coming out last Friday or this Monday, now I'll have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday.

:mad:

good ol dell
To be fair, Dell did a better job handling my last support ticket. A delay like this is unexpected, but especially frustrating since I rely on my notebook for so many things (like checking my cgalliance.org and toj.cc e-mail accounts daily).

I was the IT manager of a shop where we had nothing but Dells. We always got the 3 year complete care. Yes it is great that they come out and do the work. But we paid for it. This story is very similar to many we had. Of course we also have awesome stories where they came out the same day with the part and fixed it within 4 hours of calling it in. When dealing with such a giant company unfortunately there are bound to be "Hell" stores and Dell has many.

Good news: The Dell tech came out today and replaced my video card.

Bad news: Replacing the video card didn't fix the problem.

/me cries

Good news: The Dell tech received approval from Dell for me to send my notebook computer to a repair depot, where they'll run extensive tests and replace any faulty parts.

Bad news: The depot process takes 7-10 days.

/me cries again

When I do get my notebook computer back, I can rest assured everything will be in working order. I just don't like having to go another 7-10 days (on top of the 5 since last Wednesday) without playing Team Fortress 2 or checking my e-mail through Outlook (with SpamBayes).

:(

UPDATE: I packed up my notebook computer earlier today and DHL picked it up a few minutes ago.

The wait continues...

Dead yet?

:D
Not yet, no. -_-

Fortunately, I have a few console games to fill the time I set aside for gaming. It's not the same as lighting people on fire or healing them in Team Fortress 2, but it scratches the itch.

How about now?

I am at school right now and there are two guys sitting here talking about LARPing and their elite Paladins they have in WoW.

I am trying so hard not to laugh.

It is very hard.

How about now?
Still Alive.

Though I think I may really start drafting a syllabus for a college course on the history of video games if I have to go much longer without TF2.

I am at school right now and there are two guys sitting here talking about LARPing and their elite Paladins they have in WoW.

I am trying so hard not to laugh.

It is very hard.
Says the leader of a large Warhammer Online guild. :p

Back