Bible Study #1 (November 25)

Durruck

Pirate!
Tonight's topic: Why can we play video games?

My coworkers and non-Christian friends have told me that they don't understand how Christians can play games that summon demons, use arcane magic, glorify murder, unfair play and what not.

So why do we play?
-For entertainment
-Fellowship - awesome that we can study the Bible together like this!
-Friendship - many played together for a long time.

We don't believe in the demons, the magic, that there is really murder going on. We understand that it's not real. But is that enough?

We, as Christians, look to the Bible to answer a lot of our questions, but this is one that is hard to pick out. When the Bible was written, there wasn't even electricity yet, much less computers, surround sound systems, and ventrilo servers.

So we have to look at what was available at the time, and see how God gave instructions on how to react to it. The Redeemed officers will recognize parts of these because they've seen bits already in my attempt to sway long-term goals for the guild.

I've picked out 4 main verses that I think give us a little insight into how Jesus wants us to play video games. That's right, I said it. Jesus is not only tolerant of us goofing off, but he actually wants us to play.

Colossians 3:17
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Here, the Bible doesn't limit us on what we can or cannot do. Obviously, with being nearly 2000 years old, it can't give us specific direction on video games. However, we are given basic principles to work from. It doesn't matter what we do, just do it to bring glory and honor to God.

So how do we bring glory and honor to God in video games?

Titus 2:7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness (...)

We have to be the example of how we're supposed to live, where we're supposed to go, what we're supposed to do. We have to be a shining example in our community - even in the virtual ones. Hiding behind avatars and pixels doesn't give us permissions to be heathens and act like the world. In fact because of that exact mentality, we have to work that much harder to make sure we stand out as positive influences to our neighbors.

In Mark, Chapter 12, Jesus tells the parable of the Good Samaritan. Who is our neighbor? Everyone we meet - whether it's the flesh and blood person
on the street, or the flesh and blood person behind another avatar.

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

We're supposed to get out there and spread the word. Sometimes through planting little seeds, sometimes through direct work - watering the plants, weeding the garden, cultivating the soil. You never know when you'll have the opportunity to reach out to someone that needs to know, and wants to know more about Jesus. Even here in the game.

However, with all that said, I need to add 1 last warning. Don't get so infatuated with the game that it becomes an idol to you. It is possible, as with any other thing that God has given us, to endulge to the point of addiction. Measure your playtime carefully and make sure you aren't neglecting your real life.

-------

I hope to do these fairly frequently, and I'll try to vary schedule so more can attend.

While you can get the main point of my thoughts, there is a lot more that you can learn from actually being in Vent while we talk through the various topics. I'd encourage you to pop in long enough to listen.

Start to finish, the whole thing took about 12 or 13 minutes tonight :)

Back