Laptop purchase

Which laptop should Icthus purchase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icthus

I am looking at purchasing a laptop with my end of year budget.

I am trying to decide between these two

Alienware Area 51

Or

Mac Book Pro

It is a desk top replacement for me.

Prices are similar when I spec them out.

I will be buying it by the end of the year so speak now or hold your peace forever.

Alien because you play games and don't run keynote, record midi, work on video/pictures, or anything else artsy. Nor are you impressed by multi boot/OS systems.

actually the macbook can do both apple and windows therefore it's one stop shopping. apple even providces the software to make windows run ont he macbook pro.

However there's one huuuuuge caveat. they both have nvidia graphics and those chips(especially the mobile ones) have been dropping like flies due to a faulty manufacturing process. In that case if you have to have alien head for the m17 which has mobile ati graphics.

I have a Dell E1705. My wife has a HP (I forget the model number). We both like our notebooks.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably get a HP 17" notebook. My dad got one and it came with a TV tuner card and a numpad built into the notebook keyboard.

If you go with a PC instead of a Mac, I strongly encourage you to back up program install files, wipe the OS, and reload the OS and only the programs you need. Almost all new notebooks come infested with trialware, ads, and junk you don't need and won't use. I wiped and reloaded my wife's notebook; it took several hours, but I think it was well worth it.

EDIT: Also, I'd recommend staying away from Alienware. When you buy Alienware, a significant percentage of your portion is paying for the brand name. I'd recommend custom-configuring a Dell or HP laptop to match (or nearly match) the specs of the Alienware notebook you're considering. I think you'll find it shaves a few hundred dollars off the price.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure to look for coupon codes and specials from whatever vendor you decide to buy from. If you're not in a hurry to buy a notebook, you might want to watch the sales and wait a few weeks until you find one that's particularly good.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed my macbook for the past two years or so. I was debating picking up one of the new aluminum unibodies but I figure this one will last me another year or two. IMO the pro version isn't worth it cost and size wise. I love the smaller sizes (12-14") and anything over that is going to start getting in the way.

Having worked with several different laptops over the years I will say you need to try things out before you buy. I don't like most win laptops because their trackpad is like sand paper to the fingertips. In OSX I can scroll in both directions just by dragging two fingers across the trackpad, which makes it awesome for browsing (particularly laying on the bed or coach).

I would advise against trying to get a "desktop" replacement and instead focus on something you will enjoy taking with you. For a few hundred dollars you can make a desktop that would clobber even the top end laptops. Once you factor in the ability to easily and cost effectively upgrade things go downhill from there.

For those interested here is what I got.

Sager 5797
Sager 5797 Intel Quad Core 2 Desktop Replacement Gaming Notebook (Built on Clevo M570TU) Qty: 1
Orange trim Qty: 1
17" WUXGA Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy w/ Wide Viewing Angle (1920x1200) Qty: 1
30 Day No Questions Asked Money Back Guarantee! (Others only give you 15 days) Qty: 1
nVidia GeForce 9800M GTX with 1024MB (1GB) Video Memory DX10 (User Upgradeable!) Qty: 1
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz "Montevina" w/ 6MB L2 On-Die Cache (P9500) - 1066MHz FSB 25 Watt Qty: 1
Arctic Silver 5 High Performance Thermal Compound Qty: 1
4096MB (4GB) DDR3 1066MHz (2 SODIMMs) (2048MB x 2048MB) Qty: 1
[No Intel Tu rbo Memory] Qty: 1
320GB l 7200RPM I SATA II (16MB Cache Buffer) Qty: 1
8X DVD±R / RW / 4X + Dual Layer Drive with Software Qty: 1
Integrated Fingerprint Reader (Free!) Qty: 1
High Definition Audio Sound System Qty: 1
Microsoft Windows VISTA BUSINESS (64 Bit Installed, 64 and 32 Bit CDs both included) Qty: 1
Standard 8 Cell Smart Li-ion Battery Qty: 1
Standard Full Range Auto Switching AC Power Adapter Qty: 1
Deluxe Black Business Carrying Case (Free!) Qty: 1
Microsoft Office Ready with FREE 60-Day Trial! Qty: 1
Sager 3 Yr Labor, 1 Yr Parts Warranty (Yrs 2+3 paid by PCT) Lifetime 24/7 Domestic Support Qty: 1
(No Accidental Protection Policy) Qty: 1

Sager 5797
Sager 5797 Intel Quad Core 2 Desktop Replacement Gaming Notebook (Built on Clevo M570TU) Qty: 1
Orange trim Qty: 1
17" WUXGA Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy w/ Wide Viewing Angle (1920x1200) Qty: 1
30 Day No Questions Asked Money Back Guarantee! (Others only give you 15 days) Qty: 1
nVidia GeForce 9800M GTX with 1024MB (1GB) Video Memory DX10 (User Upgradeable!) Qty: 1
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz "Montevina" w/ 6MB L2 On-Die Cache (P9500) - 1066MHz FSB 25 Watt Qty: 1
Arctic Silver 5 High Performance Thermal Compound Qty: 1
4096MB (4GB) DDR3 1066MHz (2 SODIMMs) (2048MB x 2048MB) Qty: 1
[No Intel Tu rbo Memory] Qty: 1
320GB l 7200RPM I SATA II (16MB Cache Buffer) Qty: 1
8X DVD±R / RW / 4X + Dual Layer Drive with Software Qty: 1
Integrated Fingerprint Reader (Free!) Qty: 1
High Definition Audio Sound System Qty: 1
Microsoft Windows VISTA BUSINESS (64 Bit Installed, 64 and 32 Bit CDs both included) Qty: 1
Standard 8 Cell Smart Li-ion Battery Qty: 1
Standard Full Range Auto Switching AC Power Adapter Qty: 1
Deluxe Black Business Carrying Case (Free!) Qty: 1
Microsoft Office Ready with FREE 60-Day Trial! Qty: 1
Sager 3 Yr Labor, 1 Yr Parts Warranty (Yrs 2+3 paid by PCT) Lifetime 24/7 Domestic Support Qty: 1
(No Accidental Protection Policy) Qty: 1

nice machine. Keep an eye on your graphics chip as it's one of the models tha have been failing very badly due to the batched manufacturing process.

Sager 5797

30 Day No Questions Asked Money Back Guarantee! 1

nice machine. Keep an eye on your graphics chip as it's one of the models tha have been failing very badly due to the batched manufacturing process.

That is why I have the 30 day guarantee!

the video chips typically take 6 months to a year to die..hence the watch on the mobo. genesis just had to have the mobo in her dell replaced at work due to the same issue..it took hers a year to croak.

Nvidia has started shipping video chops with a fixed manufacturing process but there's still plenty of the dodgy one out there.

Back