Bible Study #3 (Feb 16, 2009)

Durruck

Pirate!
Sorry for the long delay since the last Bible study. I'm still trying to figure out format, topics, and stuff like that. Plus I'm lazy :(

Anyway, here it is in all of it's formatted beauty.

First, I'd like to start with a word game. I'll say a word, and you say the first word that comes to mind.

Yes
Right
Red
Up
Square

It's interesting that we identify these concepts with their contrasting ideas. Generally, the responses will be "no" "left" "blue (or yellow, green, black), "down" and "circle" in that order.

So whatever it is we're presented with, we typically choose to identify with the exact opposite. But we're not alone. In Jonah, chapter 1, we read:
The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me."

3 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD.

So God tells Jonah to go preach and Jonah does exactly the opposite. If we look at a map and assume that Jonah started in Jerusalem, he should have head east-northeast to Nineveh. Instead, he hops a boat headed west to modern-day Spain.

Queue God's wrath. Big storms, boat's about to break, the sailors draw lots and find out that it's Jonah's fault that they're all going to die.

10 This terrified them and they asked, "What have you done?" (They knew he was running away from the LORD, because he had already told them so.)
Jonah already owned up to the fact that the whole storm was his fault. So the sailors pray to God to release them of the sin of killing Jonah... and pitch him overboard. Obviously, the story doesn't end there, and neither does the list of places where we do exactly the opposite of what we should.

In John chapter 18, we read that Peter denies Jesus three times. Obviously we knew this was going to happen since Jesus told us it would. Peter had to know after the 1st and 2nd denials that the 3rd was coming, yet he did it anyway.

Fortunately, there's a transition after Jesus defeats the grave. In John 21:15-17, Jesus reinstates Peter with a simple series of questions.
15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

Now this is a hugely loaded conversation with lots of information for us, but most importantly for this lesson is the command that Jesus gives to Peter. Take care of my sheep.

The point Jesus is making here is that to love Jesus is to love the church, which Jesus compares to the sheep in a flock. He told Peter to care for them as a shepherd would care for his sheep: feed them (with God's word, in this case), guid them, protect them, bring them back if they strayed, and help them heal if they are hurt. It's a big task that Jesus is laying on Peter. He even calls Peter the rock upon which he will build his church. (Matthew 16:18)

Peter takes this charge very seriously and later echoes it in his letters to the church elders in 1 Peter 5:1-2, which is a big transformation. Early on, it seems that Peter is arrogant and boastful. But here we see that even though he's been told that he's a key-player, he is very humble about his position of authority, and reminds church elders of the same. But I don't think that his humility came from his thrice denial alone.

We're presented with three different views of the same conversation in Mark 9:35, Matthew 18:1-5, and Luke 9:46
Mark chapter 9 said:
35Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."

Also in Mark, chapter 10:43-45
43Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Jesus wasn't instituting a policy of slavery, but He is showing us a lesson in humility. He submitted to the Father's will - even to the point of his own execution - as an example of living a life by serving. It's the example we are asked to imitate. So whether it be at church, at home, at school... when God is calling you to lead, remember that you are also serving the needs of others. Being in charge isn't just a position of power, it's a position of responsibility. Even when you're "the boss," you still answer to someone.

Last edited:
and with that, the reason for this lesson. A few weeks ago, Odale announced to the officers that he was wanting to step down and chose me to be his replacement. Instead of giving him an answer, I flat ran away. I didn't post in any thread that had to do with his request, I didn't log into the game... I high-tailed it towards Tarishish, just like Jonah.

For the last three weeks, my pastor at church has been doing a series of sermons on Jonah. Ironically, he started the Sunday following Odale's post and finished last Sunday. So it seems that God filled a church full of people to listen to a sermon for me :)

The second half of this study, about Peter's calling, is something that I've always tried to keep in mind, even going back to my officer days in The Forgiven (my WoW guild on Terenas). While I had a position of power and authority, I was still serving my guild, trying to make decisions that best benefited the body as a whole. I try to keep that in mind (and sometimes need a little help when my ego gets inflated) and remember that I'm not in charge, I still answer to you for my actions on the behalf of the guild, and to God for my actions and choices in all matters.

So these are my first posts from the position of BD4L30D (like...30 days) - a position of servitude. I am honored that Odale chose me... although I don't think I'm the best candidate, I'm willing to try.

Lastly, I'd like to continue doing more Bible studies, but I need help. I have no trouble working out lessons for my youth group - I can see their faces, read their body language to help adjust the lessons. But over Ventrilo, I don't have that luxury - so I need feedback.

What topics would you like to see?
How long would you like to see studies last?
What time of day/day of week? Should I vary them?
How often should I do them (which is also based on topic feedback)
Any other helpful feedback?

For those that were in Ventrilo tonight, I'm sorry for the scattered lesson. I was attempting a different preparation because I was not happy with how the previous lessons went. This turned out to be the worst yet, I think. There were things on my notes that I forgot to read, stuff not on my notes I added, and just a poor flow.

I blame sleep deprivation :)

Congratz on BD4L, man. No need to apologize in any way. Even if you didn't get in everything you wanted, it was a great lesson. Candid messages that speak to the heart, in my opinion, are the ones that are most remembered.

What topics would you like to see?
christian gamer perspective topics- I know that some were covered in other studies but I missed em. :D
  1. Our witness as christians in a non-christian game
  2. reminder of God is with us at all times, including recreation
  3. reminder of Priorities (irl > gaming stuff)
  4. the value of a community/good samaritan
  5. anger management over petty game stuff (cough)
  6. in-game preaching story like Malohaut used to do (I can explain, just ask)

How long would you like to see studies last?
I'm not sure about this. I'd say pray about it. Shorter than longer is probably most suitable overall. 20 mins with a chance for open discussion for those who want to discuss more?

What time of day/day of week? Should I vary them?
I don't know. There are so many pacific ppl and a handful of easterners.

How often should I do them (which is also based on topic feedback)
Monthly-ish? Whatever will be least burdensome but somewhat consistent.

Any other helpful feedback?
I hadn't expected a study on servitude and humility. It took some time to sink in for me. I always need reminding about it as I get caught up in my own views of the world.

Last edited:
all good feedback...I really appreciate the time you took on each answer - especially this:

I hadn't expected a study on servitude and humility.

It's interesting how what was troubling me can be the same thing hitting others. As for the Malohut reference, I have no idea what you're talking about as I wasn't part of Redeemed-WoW. I'll need info there.

Back