Lotro going F2P...

Wow, didn't see this coming.

Now if they only made the class mechanics more unique... like WAR. >.>

Wow, didn't see this coming.

Well, it makes sense that it's free to play, their profits with DDO went way up when they switched it's business model.

Hmmm, I might be willing to give this game a shot. Though I rarely play RPG style games more than a month before I become bored with grinding. . .Still, if I know people who are playing it makes grinding much more enjoyable.

hhhmmm gonna see how this one plays out...because LOTRO was a good game until WB bought out Turbine...so I am not sure if WB isn't behind this somehow and I hope they don't ruin the experience.

crazy...... wonder how the people who payed 200$ for lifetime subscriptions feel o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
hhhmmm gonna see how this one plays out...because LOTRO was a good game until WB bought out Turbine...so I am not sure if WB isn't behind this somehow and I hope they don't ruin the experience.

How'd it go sour? o_O

Lifetime member brief thought -->

crazy...... wonder how the people who payed 200$ for lifetime subscriptions feel o_O

WELL...I AM FURIOUS at some points but other times there seems to be some perks they are going to give to those of us who do have a lifetime, although I have way surpassed that in terms of play time, but it is still a bit annoying. :p

Sorry Atown, I accidentally hit the EDIT button the first time if you are wondering why your post says I edited it....LOL Getting used to having mod privileges.

How'd it go sour? o_O

Not sure Keero...I just know about six months ago the merger was to take place with WB being the sole owner while turbine was to keep its name...not sure the full ramifications...although with a bigger budget (hopefully)...maybe DDO and LOTRO may get some major boosts in patches and upgrades. :)

The game hasn't gone down since WB bought Turbine.... Also, WB has nothing to do with this move. They have been looking at it for the past year, and believe it to be a good move. I personally am very happy about it, because I enjoyed LOTRO, but the trial just wasn't long enough for me to get a good feel. I have already invested the full amount in WoW and quit, why do that with LOTRO? It gets expensive...

There are actually some similar classes. The RuneKeeper has a playstyle similar to the ArchMage, if I remember the AM correctly. The problem with copying another game (since you referenced WAR) is that it's no longer unique.

LOTRO does have some versatile classes, and I've had fun with almost every class I've played.

It actually doesn't bother me a bit. If you read the docs that are out there, the F2P only get 1 character slot, 3 backpack slots, limited bank, limited mail/chat, can purchase from the auction house, but not sell on the AH, can't CREEP, can't get into Moria/Mirkwood, don't get rested XP, can't use Destiny Points, can't...can't...can't.

Lifers are auto-sub'd as VIPs for free, get upto 2500 credits to spend in the store, plus 500 credits/month. We also get all our character slots, backpacks, shared storage, etc. We lose absolutely nothing that we already have. Nor do the F2P people get all of our perks - they have to pay to get points to buy the stuff we have.

When you look at all the facebook games, Evony, Lords of Ultima, and other browser-based F2P games, they all have upgrades that you can buy, giving you an edge over other players. Premium and VIP LOTRO accounts will still hold distinct edges over F2P players.

There are actually some similar classes. The RuneKeeper has a playstyle similar to the ArchMage, if I remember the AM correctly. The problem with copying another game (since you referenced WAR) is that it's no longer unique.

LOTRO does have some versatile classes, and I've had fun with almost every class I've played.

The RuneKeeper is what actually made me switch back to WAR since it was a lot of fun. It was either the constant PVE or lack of distinct class mechanics (not that I hated the MDPS/Tanks, but it just wasn't engaging) that slowly wore away at my LOTRO play time. I would probably hop on to check out Band of Hope though!

Make it more unique by making it more like another game? :)

Worked for WoW. :p Take bits and pieces from the other cream of the crop to make your own... crop of cream? >.>

Last edited:
/bump

I've posted in the Tribe of Judah forums to gauge interest in a ToJ LotRO guild once the free-to-play option is released to the public.

If any other Christian gaming groups are considering the same, feel free to post in this thread.

If members of existing Christian LotRO guilds would like to post, they are also welcome (and encouraged) to post in this thread.

Lions of Judah have a decently sized active guild...with lots of good people... Band of Hope is good people, but I had trouble getting in because there wasn't anyone on in the mornings...

Back