Blizzard To Require Real First and Last Names For Official Forums

I don't know about you, but I used to go to the realm forums quite a bit when I played. Do you think this will discourage trolling on their forums? Or will it squelch any virtual online community for WoW?

I think the single user-id alone would have squelched the trolling. I don't agree with the first name last name, but I can see how it could be a good idea. I'm still fond of usernames though; I'm not quite ready for people to know my real name.

I was thinking about playing WoW again (when cataclysm comes). This may stop me from doing it. I don't want to have people seeing my real name. And this doesn't seem to just be forums. It appears that it is going into the game too (correct me if I'm wrong). I just see this as a very bad move on blizzard's part.

Only if you have Real ID friends... Plus what in the world does it mean to know a name? Shoot my name is Chris White, you know how many Chris White's there are?

I am a doctoral candidate in philosophy at the University of Illinois and am currently writing a dissertation on Nietzsche's moral psychology.

Interesting.

/me checks calendar

Well, it isn't April 1, but maybe they're getting a head start on next year's joke?

Srsly, though, this is very likely the worst idea Blizzard has ever had.

According to one internet site, I am the only Sam Vanderburg online. However, with today's privacy and security issues, Bliz's idea may not be such a good one. However, pointless flames should never be made (unless by me - hehe - j/k) and to do so hiding behind a temporary pseudonym is rather cowardly and shows the vacuum of substance from one's character. I am still under the impression that one should be known for character rather than being a character.

If this will help their forums gain a higher amount of quality posts, then I'm all for it.

If you've never been to the official WoW forums... you should monitor one thread and witness how fast it gets hijacked.

Ok, to those people that are against it, why? you name means little and that's all there is... and second, do you post on the forums? if not, you have nothing to worry about.

Personally I love it, I feel closer to my friends than ever... something about calling someone by name that adds that personal closer touch.

/me checks calendar

Well, it isn't April 1, but maybe they're getting a head start on next year's joke?

Srsly, though, this is very likely the worst idea Blizzard has ever had.

for once I think we are in complete agreement about something Blizzard related

Still no one has given a valid reason of not liking it... and displaying you first and last name is hardly valid, unless you are the only one in the world with that name, which is unlikely. There is little anyone can do with just a name.

i agree with mordos i dont really see a problem with it, and whats the issue with letting your friends know what your name is? I hope they know it lol and that way they can talk to you easily. I really like the real id

I've seen plenty of valid reasons... don't agree with them all, and don't share the opinions of all of them, but that doesn't mean they aren't valid.

It does provide security risks, especially to those with unique names. Sure, John Smith would probably be safe from any malicious intent, but what about Mugabe Zarilli (slight change of an old friend's name)?

If you know where to go, you can pretty much pinpoint someone with just a name, especially if they are homeowners, where your name and address are public record.

This probably won't affect me much, or even at all, but I've disabled Real ID simply out of principle. I log in to be Flamethrower, Redletters, or any other character I choose to create, not to get involved with social networking using my real information. If I wanted that, I'd have given my character my actual name in the first place :p

To each his own though. It would be a completely boring world if everyone agreed with me. I think I would be a lot more nervous about it if I were a girl though...

Back