Just say "No" to Alien Swarm promotion

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
When you hit level 27 and you think of clicking that "Promote" button, take my advice: DON'T DO IT.

I just now hit level 27 for a second time and it was an obnoxious climb back to the top (level). The stock weapons are bland, the Medical Gun doesn't unlock until level 8 (or was it 9?), the flamethrower doesn't unlock until level 13, you can't earn XP on custom maps, and StarCraft II comes out on Tuesday (it's relevant in my mind).

You are, of course, free to do with your hard-earned levels what you will. But if you're starting to burn out on the stock campaign and don't feel like playing through another 30 levels to get back your Grenade Launcher, then DON'T CLICK THAT BUTTON. Or at least don't click the "Yes" button after you click the Promote button. That's the one you really have to watch for.

EDIT: And all you get for your troubles is a silly little icon next to your name.

I got my first promotion, and I'd have to say that I do miss all my weapons. And I probably did it a little too quickly, as I didn't get to try out everything that I wanted to. But I got back to level 13, or 12, whatever it is for the flamethrower, and 9 for the medical gun, rather quickly. In my opinion Medic's shouldn't be played until level 9 for the medi-gun and the flamethrower/tesla cannon are the "safe" or "easiest" ways of going through the game. So it's not THAT much of a hassle to start over again.

EDIT: And all you get for your troubles is a silly little icon next to your name.

Cough... Modern Warfare... Cough.

I reset mine but I only miss the healgun as I prefer to med for people. I'd say I miss the flamethrower, which is easily my favorite weapon, but if I hadn't reset I probably wouldn't be compelled to ever use another weapon (except on the tank things which the Flamethrower is useless against).

Back