Thought about buying the PC version of Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition? Don't.

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
the game's Software Security Assurance protocol is no less strict. Players are required to be signed into Games for Windows Live in order to access most of the game's features and content.

In offline mode, SSFIV:AE is reduced to a sort of demo, with players limited to local play only (obviously), but also restricted to 15 of the 39 fighters and unable to save settings or challenges progress. DLC is inaccessible when playing offline, as well.

Should the GWFL connection be lost mid-game, the player is given a chance to sign back in at a "logical break point" -- but should that fail ... you're in demo mode. And if you don't live in a GFWL-supported region? Svensson calls that a "buyer-beware situation."

Prospective purchasers should also be aware that Steam and Impulse will implement their respective "security solutions" (in addition to SSA), and that Steam users won't use GFWL Marketplace to purchase DLC. "We'll provide more details on that wrinkle at a later date," Svensson notes.
Source: SSFIV Arcade Edition PC to discourage piracy (and frustrate buyers) with 'limited' offline mode

Oh, Capcom. When will you ever learn?

/smh

Probably when the other devs do, too.

I strongly dislike Games for Windows Live. I don't even have thoughts on the service, but it's a forced install with DOW2... and though the demo was playable on my computer, upon installation of the full game (with Live)... it pushed the game out of playability.

I'd have stuck with the console version of Street Fighter, anyway. It works for me. :p

They should mimic what Steam does - let you play the game with out actually owning the game.

/clobbers you in the head with my parrot.

Also, is it really pirating if you bought it?

Last edited:
You tell me: "let you play the game with out actually owning the game."

lolwut.

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/burtonj
Apparently valve employees get every game on steam. So do they own all those games or just have rights to play them while an employee?

Cool site. Though, in-accurate.

I never bought CS:S. Came free with my purchase of HL2 which was $49.99 years ago.

I don't care about GWFL. Sure, its annoying but whatever.

I would think Xbox LIVE is more unfair than GWFL.

Xbox Live Gold (as low as $50/year)

All the Silver level benefits PLUS:

Online gameplay: You can only play games on Xbox Live if you have a Gold membership.

Super Street fighter arcade edition drm has been lowered now. I can select any of the 39 fighters offline now. :)
Quite right, quite right. Capcom actually listened to fan outrage this time.

Unfortunately, the game still uses GFWL (which, from what I've gathered, is nearly universally LOATHED among PC gamers, myself included) for online multiplayer. But some people don't mind GFWL.

/shrug

I've got the game through Steam.
And if I win the Summer Camp Grand Prize, so will I!

But there's no way I'm going to pay $40 for the PC version when I already own SSFIV for the PS3 and don't plan on buying the AE DLC until it drops to $10.

Back