Who is purchasing Torchlight 2?

Who is purchasing Torchlight 2?

• Total voters

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
As you can now pre-purchase Torchlight 2 on Steam I am trying to gauge how many people will be playing it and if it is worth my time/money to get. I wasn't enamored with the first one but I could stand it, it's fairly cheap and if a lot of Toj/CGA/CC get it I want to be in on the full "It's new and there are actually people, I want to play with, playing it" time period. Basically since I'd be buying it exclusively for the multiplayer I want to find out if there will be players.

Last edited:
This needs to be multiple choice, i have many responses here, but the main one that is missing is "Pass till deep steam sale due to Diablo 3"

Unfortunately, I'm planning on skipping Torchlight II after reading that Runic has no intention of adding gamepad support to the game. PC dungeon crawler fans may cry "heresy," but I'm more concerned with preventing wrist pain than staying true to the roots of the genre...or whatever.

I'm still not keen on the "always on" DRM of Diablo III or the $60 price tag, but Blizzard has stated they plan on adding gamepad support in a post-release patch (though, to my knowledge, they haven't given an estimated date on the patch) and the game has to go on a decent sale eventually. And regardless whether Activision's exploitative practices have influenced Diablo III's design or not, Blizzard still makes a great game.

I liked the style of Torchlight, I love the fact that Runic is planning to include LAN play in Torchlight II, and I <3 the look of the pets in T2. But none of that really compares to the wrist torture that is point-and-click (and click and click and click and click) PC dungeon crawlers.

/sigh

Sad when Soma Bringer got (nearly) everything right on the Nintendo DS (with its 67MHz and 33MHz processors) four years ago and modern developers can't bring the same key game design elements together in a single PC game. Sadder still that Nintendo didn't have the good sense to localize and publish Soma Bringer in the US.

Yes, I do consider a DS RPG the standard by which I judge all other dungeon crawlers.

TL;DR: My brain wants Torchlight II but my wrists cry, "Nooooooo!"

But none of that really compares to the wrist torture that is point-and-click (and click and click and click and click) PC dungeon crawlers.

/sigh

I understand. It didn't hurt my wrist but I did find it boring towards the end. I didn't bother clicking a lot though I just held down the mouse button everywhere I went. That and my build let me hold down the button to spam my most powerful attack. I dubbed it my "death skipper" build because it looked like I was skipping everywhere, very silly, rather boring to play and somewhat op as long as you didn't stop skipping in the middle of a pack.

I looked at a few videos of Diablo 3 and was unimpressed. Looked like a shmancier version of the same thing with class choices less appealing to me, a 60 dollar price and devil in the name.

I would have gotten Dungeon Defenders a while back but the characters are too deformed for my tastes.

Both Keero and Tek have voted no and Sarugon is undecided so that's almost a nail in the coffin for me. I'll wait to see how the rest of the Keeros, Saudi, Bassman and Whon vote though.

Last edited:

Which is the big draw. Many people still love D2 to this day. D3 is the same thing with high production value modern look, and much faster access to co-op with friends. They removed most all the headaches from d2 and made the action almost non-stop. The game is brilliant but it is not revolutionizing anything, only making a solid hack and slash based on previous work.

It is a day one purchase for me and I bet a million others.

I never said it was a bad game. I enjoyed the beta thoroughly. But, for me in a game like that, I wanted a deeper level of character customization (think NWN) and I don't believe having runes, and a better storyline justify an additional $40 when compared to Torchlight 2 which still has multiplayer/co-op play available.

Don't forget that the cost can effectively be free if you participate in the real money auction house as a seller only :)

nwn style custimization in a hack n slash is not a good idea in my opinion, this genre is all about non stop action, that kinda of character planning would severely slow it down. I think blizzard nailed it in this regards, you can keep your char progressing while still staying up with your group, only pausing for occasional town trips to sell. D3 is all about go go go , nwn had me planning for days.

Also everyone I know played TL for a few weeks then never went back while I still have friends playing d2 years and years later. Thats alot of value for $60 compared to that $20

TL coop is yet to be seen, they have a high bar to meet. D3 you can be from shortcut launch to killing mobs with friends in less then 30 seconds. It's truly amazing how coop friendly it is.

Also, I think the size of the game file might be an indicator of content. Torchlight 2 is only 2 gigabytes, whereas Diablo III is closer to 7.5. I think that's part of justifying the increased cost.

I really like the 1st one, but if there isn't much interest in T2 I'll probably just wait for a good sale then try it out.

From what I've played, comparing Diablo III to Diablo II is somewhat like comparing Mario Bros. 3 to Mario Bros. 1.

Yes, they are the same game, but no, they aren't.

My wife and I are very excited for T2. We never got far into the first game as we tend to only play multi-player, we are looking forward to being able to play it co-op. Hopefully they will have the balancing figured out for just two players.

My wife and I are very excited for T2. We never got far into the first game as we tend to only play multi-player, we are looking forward to being able to play it co-op. Hopefully they will have the balancing figured out for just two players.

My daughter and I are also very much looking forward to the multiplayer aspect of Torchlight 2.

I would also like to point out another HUGE selling point of T2 is that it is releasing an editor to make custom maps. The Torchlight 2 mod community will add endless customized multiplayer maps to that low pricetag!

I'll be getting it. I really enjoyed the first one so the addition of multiplayer and a $20 price tag it is a buy for me.

I'll be getting it. I really enjoyed the first one so the addition of multiplayer and a $20 price tag it is a buy for me.

Is this "The Bassman" or "The Bassman" plus Blondie that will be playing?

Even with Bassman and Whon I still may not get it but it's good to know these things :) . No reason for me to pre-purchase it at least as I've no need for another copy of the first game.

I bought it based off of some other friends I have that are all going to playing it. :) We will see how much it gets paid, but for $20 for both of them, it was worth the risk for me :)

Back