UT2007 Video...

Shagz

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/746/746632/vids_1.html

Check it...one thing that looks sort've interesting is that the demo they're showing off here seems...."linear", like a single player level. The player moves forward through the level, it's not an arena (at least from what I could tell).

And the interviewee mentioned something about "RTS elements"...huh? And there's a bunch of cinematics in there...more single player stuff? I think that's interesting, it would be neat if they chained a series of Assault or Onslaught maps together into a single player campaign, rather than just doing the whole "deathmatch sport" thing...

He also mentions stuff about clan support and getting you hooked up with your friends faster, all within the game itself. Sounds promising...

Hmmmm...I didn't see any double or wall jumping in the video... :confused:

My thoughts, sort of in order:

That girl is annoying.

I hope he was playing noob-like on purpose. If they take out the movement, they take out the core element that made UT different from everybody else.

Where's my deathmatch? I don't want RTS elements; I want a fast-paced contest of skill and wits.

UT shouldn't have vehicles.

Graphics look mindblowing, but the video's so small I can't tell as much as I can in the screenshots. Then again, I thought the same thing about UT2003 when it was announced, so who knows where the cutting edge will be in three years?

I'd say he was a n00b. He missed a shock combo in slow mo. Pretty n00bly. But yeah, like I said earlier, epic listens to their fans pretty good, and if they mess up DM there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, and epic will hear us and hopefully fix their error in a nice patch. If they neglect to do that though, I'm sure somebody will come along and do it theirselves and make a nice mod that fixes stuff. Either way, I can't wait to play UT2007. The graphics alone are enough to make me wanna buy it. In 3 years it won't look so great probably, but then again, they'll be making the next UT by then probably, and the next Half-Life. Oh, and Morgan Webb is very very annoying, but not as bad as Adam Sessler. I can't stand xplay, it's trashy, and the hosts irritate me to no end. I am not a fan of G4 for screwing with TechTV. It wasn't like MTV for nerds before, and now it is. TechTV had some interesting shows, and very few trashy ones, they kept in line. G4TechTV is messed up, I don't think G4 should have even existed in the first place, it's a stupid idea for a TV channel. Woah, enough ranting, time to sleep.

Yes Morgan just doesn't fit. If you were watching the E305 coverage a day or two ago, you saw an end-of-day commentary between all of them there at E3, and everyone kept cutting Morgan off when she tried to speak because they knew she just doesn't fit, nor does she know what she is talking about. Harsh, maybe, but very true. Kate was a true gamer and X-Play just isn't the same without her.

For that matter, and a bit off-topic I apologise, but G4 is really turning into a smut-station with more sex than games. Nine times out of ten I am embarrassed and repulsed by what they are airing and don't watch it.

Back on topic:

The engine looks good from what I can see of it. It was kind of dark don't you think? I shouldn't have to turn up my monitor brightness just to see it.

The shock-cores look kind of weird, but it looks like it plays well. I do enjoy the vehicles, They just need to be implemented a bit better in my opinion. Perhaps more random than "this vehicles will always spawn at this location when this condition is met"... That just encourages camping. I am thinking of something like a drop-ship that delivers vehicles at random times to random parts of the map (or maybe the team that is losing) would be better; but still keep the vehicles "hi-jackable".

James said:
For that matter, and a bit off-topic I apologise, but G4 is really turning into a smut-station with more sex than games. Nine times out of ten I am embarrassed and repulsed by what they are airing and don't watch it.
Exactly.

Yeah, the girl is annoying. :D

I am honestly a bit concerned at the statements being made that they are going to 'tone down' the movement. Did the secondary shock ball look smaller diameter to you guys? Looks very appealing graphically, but if they screw up the movement they will have a lot of dissapointed people. Heck I know tons of people that play 2k4 with low settings, it is not about the graphics although they are nice.

Yeah, the shock ball just looked messed up, there just was something wrong with it. And I didn't like the way it exploded, it needs to be a nice big explosion like it used to be, not a short burst of energy. But I really hope they don't screw up the movement for the sake of n00bs. Who needs those guys anyway? :)

re: screwing up the old system...doesn't he say something in interview about keeping the old Onslaught vehicles? And we saw mutators in UT2004 allowing you to play with UT2003 style weapon switching, etc. so I think they'll push forward with whatever direction they see the series going in as well as keeping the old stuff in there. And I agree, they better knock muck with the movement, this is the last FPS game (aside from Painkiller I suppose) that has movement tricks in it! Quake 4 doesn't look like it's going to be anything like Quake 3 in that respect...

As for the "sex and video games" thing, I think this speaks to a trend that's been forming for a while now. The industry has grown in leaps and bounds in the last few years, mostly because of the influx of non-traditional gamers. These are the people who used to think games were for kids or just not for them (ie. women gamers, stereotypical "frat jocks", etc.). These people make up a huge part of the console market now, and the money at stake here is mind boggling. To get those collective eyeballs focused on your stuff and swearing totaly brand loyalty to your platform, you're going to have to market yourself in a different way.

You're not going to get a non-traditional gamer's attention with screen shots and quotes on processor power. You've gotta make it a media event, a big to do. You can't just show video reels on TV anymore (well, you COULD, and they SHOULD, for that's what the traditional gamer type wants to see), you've gotta pitch the whole thing on TV and bring that video game experience to the TV medium and to the uninformed masses. But as we've seen, it fails there, trying to shoe horn a product that has the potential do things in a completely different and more interesting manner into a medium that's been around for decades and thinks it knows what it's doing...

Actually, I'm starting to ramble here and I'm trying to say too many things at once - I shouldn't have had that late afternoon coffee. I'll come back when I have my thoughts better formulated, but it has to do with the non-traditional gamer vs. the traditional gamer, the PS3/XBox 360 "media center for your digital life style" approach vs. Nintendo's "better game experiences and new game interfaces/periphials" approach, the gaudy, sexed up, inane, scripted MTV XBox 360 launch and Spike TV Game Awards vs. the experience of E3 itself and online news sources like Gamespot, 1up, etc.

Believe me, it's just going to get worse from here on in as our gamer culture gets co-opted into the mainstream. Happened with grunge music, happened with dj/rave culture, it's going to happen here.

Shagz, a lot of research (and not just Christian research) has shown that people are sick of seeing sex where it just doesn't belong. If you lurk the G4 forums as I have, you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of people complaining that there is too much sex and not enough games on their channel, and I agree with that totally.

Now also from a Christian standpoint, of course it's not good from both a moral and spiritual standpoint to have sex plastered and force fed to us through the media. Without going too deep, I will simply state that we have enough over-sexed teenagers who grow up to be over-sexed adults that end up commiting rape crimes (or cheating on their spouse). Sex and games don't have to go together to make the title more mature.

When did "mature" come to mean gutter-trash-smut-laden-sleaze? When I think of a mature game, I think of games that require a higher level of thinking, like Myst.

I take great pleasure that BMX XXX got horrible reviews across the boards. A testament to what I mentioned above, and proof that there are still some people in this world with their heads screwed on right.

Of course the simple solution and what this all boils down to is what people worship... If they worship Christ, their stance will be the same as mine (without trying to sound egotistical because that isn't my intention at all). On the other hand if they worship themselves and their own lust, well then you have what we have now. :(

Last edited:
Hehe, not to curve the topic....but you know what really annoys me? The fact that 14 yr olds play 2k4. I mean it is a M title people. Personally, I have all the gore, taunts etc turned off because 1) I don't care for them and 2) They distract from competetive gameplay imo. I was on a pub once playing a TAM match. So I go out and am observing this one guy on Rankin. He is by the mini and spins around (his back facing the dropoff) nails this guy with the lg on the top level and as he is falling does a headshot into a guy on the second level. So, I type into the console "n1". And this person on the other team is like "nice nothing". Now, you have to understand (no offense to any of the more mature younger crowd) this was at a point where I was becoming very disenchanted with 2k4 because I was basically getting sick of all the babies playing it. So...I was like "nice one" and again the response "nice nothing". So I spammed it..."nice one" over and over. Because it was indeed a very excellent shot. Finally I said "You are probably some 15 year old, how did you get the game anyhow?" (or something to that effect) to which he responed "I am 15 years old and pwn you all" then he left.

My intentions weren't to offend him, but heck the kid had to be put in his place. I bet if i'd typed in some bs he'd have eaten it up. That all being said, the ratings are just window dressing because the parents don't care. As soon as they start taking real stock in their kids, we will see all the trash disappear from the mainstream. It all goes back to the $, if the public demands...the public gets. As soon as 'we' collectively start desiring to see games that are of value because they are intellectually stimulating and not catering to other aspects then it will happen. When will that point come? Who knows. Uh oh, I am going to rant again....which brings me to mainstream rap music. Nothing against the gendre but I have noticed a trend. This has to be BY FAR the most degrading stuff out there when it comes to the perspective of women. Have you heard any of this popular stuff? I mean the theme is all the same....1) women as sexual objects 2) The emphasis on material possesions as relating to your status in life and 3) How dangerous/powerful they are. Now I have listened to a lot of music in my life and have sampled and enjoyed nearly all gendres, but this stuff is just plain brainwashing garbage man. It has no story, represents little if any thing of value and seeks to replicate itself by brainwashing the people listening to it. Hehe, sorry for all the ranting, just been thinking about this lately. Don't get me wrong not all rap is like that, but it seems that this type is dominating in popularity at the moment.

I think you are reading my mind...

Please don't get me started on rap music, and Eminem, and how one of his "songs" (if you can actually call it that) has the sounds of a woman being strangled in it. :mad: And he has won music awards. I can't even comprehend how that was allowed to occur.

And that leads me to a second observation (maybe this topic should be split because we are going quite off-topic) but I just can't understand how people enjoy listening to songs about murder, sex, drugs and gang violence. It makes no logical sense why someone would willfully saturate their mind with all of that.

What's worse, the parents allow it; and most times they are the ones who purchase the albums! Then a month or two later we hear:

"Gee, I don't understand how my little Johnny could do such a thing! He was such a nice boy.".

The story is always the same. People need to open their eyes and wise up.

Last edited:
Both of those things you mentioned really bug me chameleon. If parents would just get responsible we wouldn't have 7 year olds playing GTA and whatever else. And really, looking back, when I was 13 I wouldn't have been able to handle any of these M rated games that I felt like I needed to play so bad. Now of course it's not a problem for me, but little kids really shouldn't play M rated games, there are even some T rated games that little kids shouldn't play. I wish parents would pay attention to what's going into their kids eyes and ears. And that attitude that mainstream rap carries drives me up the wall too! I think the world would be a better place without that garbage. And the excessive swearing can't be for anything like "artistic poetry", it's just there to be offensive, the same thing with most other stuff in said rap. I do enjoy a bit of Christian rap with decent lyrics and stuff, but it's not really my thing (probably because I'm white and I look like a dork when I listen to it :)).

Tek7 said:
So, yeh, about that UT2007...

:D

doh!

Yeah looks pretty amazing all in all. Just makes you wonder if you'll need 2G of cas 2 pc3200, a 64 bit AMD and some Asus cards running in SLI :p Hehe. But hey why have a game like that and not bleed it for all the eye candy :D.

Yeah, graphically, it's like some sort of revolution (or at least I hope it is). Gameplay wise, I guess we'll have to wait to pass judgement. Either way, I'll probably end up getting it for the graphics and modding stuff if nothing else.

Back