A new story for me, chapter enclosed.

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
This story is one that just popped in my head. It's very dark at first, and the first chapter (this one) is quite depressing. The story was inspired by many an anime, as well as music by Project 86 (esp. from the Drawing Black Lines album, Linkin Park (esp. "Forgotten," "By Myself," and "What I've Done," Kevin Max ("Secret Circle" and "Dead End Moon," particularly,) and Van Halen ("When It's Love.") As I said, it may be disturbing for some, especially this first chapter.

"No Eyes"

In a little room between the places where all souls go there lived a little girl with black hair and no eyes. That is not to say that she has no physical eyes. It is to say that her eyes do not look out and they do not look in. It’s not to say that she is blind, either, for the blind see in ways that we do not, but she sees in the ways that we do. It means that her eyes do not light the way into her self because they have forgotten where that is.

The little room is empty, save for the little girl and the wailing of the wind as it leaves our world and goes to the next one, or to the other. And outside the room is neither this world or any other, but one of its own. It is in this world that the little girl once lost her way, on her way from her home to our world. And it is in the world with the little room in it that the little girl found herself unable to return to her home for the shame of being lost in that world, and for becoming too much like it.

But that is a story for a different time. For now, she sits on the floor in the little room, watching the walls and waiting, wondering if she will ever find a way back out of that world.

She’s had plans of returning, in fact it would not be hard. Just a few miles up a hill of black thorns and a few more through a river of black mud. Black clinging mud that is more like tar than mud when you think about it, and that is the problem. For it is impossible to get to the door to leave that world without being coated in the very blackness of that world. So she sits on the floor in the little room and stares at the walls.

Sometimes she gets tired of sitting, so she grabs her two scythes – short-handled, bone-handled blades with wicked sharp ends that stretch out in front of her as she grasps them – and practices fighting her way through the black undergrowths and jungles that are forever trying to cloud the way to her home. This only makes her tired, for as long as she practices and as good as she gets at fighting the blackness, it only means that she will get more of the black stuff that this world is made of all over her. And that means that she will never be able to get home.

She looks clean, free of the black stuff, while she sits down, but anyone else would be able to tell you that she is actually covered in the black stuff, it has just dried and so it doesn’t look as bad. But the scrapes and scratches that the blackness brings are all over her body, her wrists, her arms and legs, and her face. And she really knows this, but she tries very hard to forget it, living in that place. If she remembers, then she spends her time in a dark cloud, simply sitting and staring at the wall.

Which is what she’s doing now.

Outside of her little room is the ruins of a mighty world. It is a world all in black, now. But underneath the giant clouds of black dust that make up the weather are broken buildings fallen on their sides, bleeding out myriads of black, broken glass over shattered concrete. And all of this is black. It once had a sun and a moon, but the sun has gone out long ago, and so with it the moon had become a great black shape in the sky, barely discernable. The stars were still up there with it, but with the dark clouds of black dust that the wind blew as it whistled through that world and into the next, and the other, they could not be seen.

The only wildlife on that world had been that of carrion-eaters, but with no life to die and no death to support them, they themselves soon followed, only to be eaten by their brethren, who also soon perished. So the wildlife was gone.

The only thing that moved on this land were the undead. And they moved slowly, purposeless. It is said that the undead desire only to take their revenge on the living. But nothing in that world was alive. So the undead simply lived in peace with nature, waiting, wondering if anyone would come to save them. And this is how it has been in that place for many a day, and many a year, since everyone has forgotten it. And this is what it is like when life forgets you and you forget life. Time had no meaning for the undead, and for the wind, and for the moon, and for the little girl in the little room in the world between the places where all souls go.

It is very hard to tell time in a place that time has forgotten. With no sun to see by and to see the moon by, and no life and no death, no birthing and no dying, time, if you tried to tell it, would still not answer. Days mean nothing in that blackened world of blackness. So it is only proper to say that eventually the little girl went back to her custom of trying to leave that world. This time, like all the others, she had a plan. But this time, the plan involved the undead.

It is said, as you know, that the undead feel only hatred and bitterness toward the living. But that is not true of the little girl with no eyes. Instead, the undead that she met only seemed to view her with varying degrees of pity and sadness. They seemed to understand exactly what it is she was, and that moved something deep within their soulless frames.

Just the other week she had come over a great, rounded hill to see three of the undead at the bottom. They were slowly digging in the earth, in their meaningless way. The undead seemed to be young for undead, their bodies mainly intact, and perhaps with some trace memories in their heads. As she approached them, they looked up at her stupidly, as was their custom. And then something unexpected happened: as they looked at her, they began to cry. Tears came from their eyes, and their bodies wracked with silent sobs. They sat in the dirt, their fingers slowly working in meaningless exertion, as the tears worked their way down the crevices in their wrinkled, rotten faces. The little girl did not know why this was happening, but it seemed that this was not meaningless, like the other things that the undead did. And somehow she knew that these undead would do whatever it took to help her leave this place. This is why she hatched her new plan.

She spent some time hacking and cutting with her scythes at the sharp black trees that grew in that world, and even though with each cut the thick, black sap sprayed into the air and all over her, she did not seem to notice. She took the wood from the trees and crafted a long box with a lid on top of it. The box was big enough for her to lie down in and close the lid. This would keep her safe from the troubles of that world.

Dragging the box, the little girl walked over the hill to where the undead were. They were the same undead, but now they had stopped digging and were huddled together, slowly moving rocks between them in a sort of meaningless game, the object of which had been forgotten over the course of time, just as time had forgotten them. As she arrived dragging her box, the undead ceased their motions and turned their heads to look at her. A strange feeling of sadness seemed to exude from them.

“Will you help me?” she called to them. They did not answer her, and for a long time she stood looking at them. Then they slowly exhumed themselves from the dirt and walked towards her.

“I’m going to get in this box,” she said. “Will you carry it up over the hill of thorns and through the river and up to the stairs where the big gate is?” The undead said nothing, but they walked over to the box and gripped it with their ageless, dirty hands. Slowly, the little girl lowered herself into the box and closed the lid over herself. Then she closed her eyes, as the box was lifted into the air and began its slow journey towards the next world.

The journey itself was uneventful, but it was not very comfortable. The undead paid no heed to her comfort, as they had none themselves. On occasion, they would forget what it was they were doing, and the little girl would have to peek her head out of the box and remind them. But for the most part they did their duty and that was a good thing, for it meant that the little girl had found a way to get herself over the hill and across the river without getting the blackness all over herself. And this would mean that she could finally get to the gate, knock on it, and go home.

When at last the undead placed the box on the ground on the far side of the river, the little girl felt the first happiness since whenever it was that she got to that world. She opened the lid and stepped out of the box, leaving it on the bank of the black river and began to walk towards the gate, which she could see off in the distance, at the top of some stairs cut into the side of the mountains. The undead came with her, but of course that was meaningless.

As she walked up the stairs that rose from the black plain up to the clean, white gate, the little girl noticed that something was wrong. A large black cloud hung in the air above her, mirroring the black plain that she had left behind. As she climbed up the steps, the cloud opened up and out came the rain, all over the plain and the stairs and the little girl.

Black rain.

The rain poured down on the little girl and once again she was covered in the blackness that also covered that world. With an inarticulate wail she sat on the stairs and wept. Or at least she would have wept if the tears from inside her had been able to find the way to her eyes, but they could not. So she sat beneath the gate and quivered and quaked for some time. The undead with her stood and watched her, tears running down their faces, but of course that was also meaningless.

Very interesting read there, Neirai. I think I like it. It's dark yes, but it's a sort of faded story of good verses evil. I have no idea what that evil is (or if I'm supposed to know), nor what the good is, but I'm definitely interested in reading more! You've hooked me.

As for constructive criticism, I don't see much to give. Put your story in spoiler brackets. Heh, I guess that's about it!

Good work! Bring on the next chapter.

I'm looking forward to Chapter 2. Any timeframe you're looking at?

Second question... are the undead that help the girl based on the man from Luke 16:19-31? The parable of the man that understands he will spend eternity in Hell, and only wishes someone to go back and save his brothers from the torment that he experiences... after he realizes that he wasted his opportunity for salvation. Anyway, that was my first thought about the undead... but it could be we just talked about that in church a few weeks ago.... (eye opening story, but that's for another forum *grin*)

Last edited:
heh.. I'm not sure what they are yet. When I'm done I'll probably apply some literary criticism to them. As in timeframe, it'll either not get updated or get updated as I work on it... but really, it'll most likely end up having a chapter every time I SHOULD be doing an essay.

As another point on the topic of inspiration, I'd say that at least a bit of the Magic the Gathering Myrrodin world (swamp side, whatever they called in back then) went into the landscape... but so did Linkin Park and Project 86's song (if you can call it a song) "Twenty-Three."

Nothing in this story (so far) is explicitly based on anything, although that may change... I'd go so far as to say that the "next world" is paradise and the "other world" is torment, because that's what I had in my head when I wrote it.

This is very good! It drew me to think upon 1st Peter chapter 3 verse 19 where Jesus witnessed to lost souls in hades/prison!

I think what I'm going to do with this story is make it into a sequel to Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid. That particular tale ends with the mermaid being given a chance to save herself and become an angel, provided she does good works and penance. This story, then, begins where that story leaves off, showing how good works are not enough to save us, we need the grace of God.

This story is, of course, set in a secondary world so don't think it's intended to be a work of contemporary theology. If you do, it's going to make me into a big heretic. But I intend to satirize anime, legalism, and Hans Christian Andersen in a way that should bring to light the nature of grace and the failure of works-based salvation.

I hope to pitch this to my Literature & Film professor as a creative option on my final paper for the class, writing this story into a bit of a screenplay. I think it will have 3-4 parts that I will meld into a single abridged "movie" that will encapsulate the whole concept.

I've just requested this as a topic for my creative option in Lit&Film. That does mean that I won't be posting any updates until I get it back, marked (assuming I'm accepted to do it.)

Here is "The End." It did moderately well. I have two observations to make before you dig in and then call me a heretic. While I did a lot of research into theology in this work, it is not intended to be a work of theology and therefore not to be taken literally at all. Also, this is not a "salvation narrative." The main character is not "saved" at the end of the work, otherwise you could very well call me a heretic and be correct.

This is just the story, I'm leaving out the explanation.

"The End"

The wind wailed like a voice as it screamed up from our world and into that world, threading wildly between the fallen buildings beneath the darkened moon on its way to the next world, and to the other world. It passed over the black deadness of that world as if it were the only thing with a purpose, its unrelenting buffeting producing a sound like the final notes of a living symphony. In each gust there seemed yet another voice, and each voice seemed to scream hoarsely and with the force of its end and of the end that was soon to befall it.

Each voice fell silent as the wind flowed out of that world through one gate or the other; either through the gate into that other world which we never wish to see, or into that gate where the little girl with black hair and no eyes wished to pass: the gate to the next world.

As you well know, the world that the little girl lives in is neither this world nor the next world or the other world, but a world of its own, a world between worlds, as it may be. It is a world where time has no meaning, for the sun has gone out long ago, and so the moon can show no light, and black clouds of dust cover the stars, so it is impossible to tell the day from the night or one minute, hour, or year from any other. So we must simply say that time has passed since the last time you heard of the little girl and her sad and failed attempts to get herself out of that world and into the next one.

Once again we find the little girl in the little square room in the middle of that world of blackness, staring at the walls in the room. She stares at the walls in a sort of black fury, hating each moment as it passes but hating each other moment more. That is not to say that she is consumed by an evil hatred, but rather a tired hatred that smolders beneath her surface without having any strength to do anything at all. So she sits there for some time, as she has been many times before, watching the walls and plotting a way to get out of that place.

Her plotting has changed. It is not the way that is was so much time before when she thought that she could get out of the place by simply avoiding the sticky black water that stood in a silent river that cut through the land, the sticky black sap that covered the plants that grew in jungles of grasping vines all around the little room and the silent river, and by closing her eyes to the fact that she herself was sticky and black from the long, long time that she had lived in that world. That was before she had discovered that the world itself would not let her go, that for all of her planning she would never be able to overcome the forces of chance that were not at all random, and that no matter what length she would go to in order to avoid the blackness of the world, it was determined that it would get all over her anyways, and that the longer she stayed in that world, the more she would become like it, and so there was no reason to plot a way out of the world at all.

Except for the undead. The little girl knew that the undead had once been like her, lost in this world and unable to return home to the place that they knew was their real home, the next world. They had come to this world in much the same way that she had, by the work demanded by their will and their desire for the world which was just out of reach beyond the gate. In this land their eyes became accustomed to the blackness and, as they first became stained and scarred by the black thorns of the jungle and the black sap and the black dust and the black water and the general blackness of that world, their eyes began to overlook the blackness of themselves, and so forgot who their selves were in favor of who they wished they were, and this meant that they could no longer find themselves or the place where their tears came from. And so they could no longer cry, or smile, and eventually they forgot how to speak or in the end even how to hope. Their minds began to forget everything and all of their actions became meaningless, hollow not only in thoughts, but also in spirit.

The little girl knew that this had happened to the undead and that it would also happen to her if she stayed too long in that world. Already she could not cry and could not sleep; she had had no reason to smile for so long that she could not know if she had lost that yet as well. And since that last horrible time when she had come up with a plan that would have meant that she could get to the gate to leave that world and get to the next, only to find out that the rules of that place had changed once again so that she could not get out and could only lose, she had begun to lose hope that she could ever get out. After a time had passed she had tried again, but each time the black rain would cover her, or black dew would have fallen on the ground, or in some other way she would find the fresh, sticky blackness on her skin again. And she could never get out of that world while its blackness still clung to her, for she knew that she could not face a world where she was the only thing that was still blackened. She was destined to join the other zombies, and she knew it, and she knew that they knew it, for each and every time she met one of the undead, their empty-minded behavior would cease for one brief moment as they would look at her and she would feel their unavoidable and unsettling sorrow. They mourned her presence here.

After a great deal of time thinking this way, the little girl realized that she had not yet become one of the undead, and that unlike the husks that they had become, she was still capable of hope. This was because she realized that at some time before, when she had been trying to find a way to cross the black river that stood between the little room that she was in and the gate to the next world without getting the clinging black water on herself, she had come across a number of zombies, maybe five or six, that had silently cried when they saw her.

And she knew that the undead do not, will not, and can not cry, any more than she could. This is because the tears that live inside them come from their own selves, and those selves have long since been forgotten, and so the tears can never find their way out of their eyes. And yet these zombies were crying.

The little girl got up from the floor where she had been sitting and staring at the wall, grabbed the scythes with the spine-like handles that she used to cut through the grasping black vines that grew around the room, and headed off to the north to find the zombies who could cry.

As the little girl walked along the black road that ran north towards the great gate to the next world, she encountered many of the undead, working in their meaningless ways: some tilled the blackened, hard crust of earth as if it they thought it could grow any crop beyond futility and despair. Another pair was busy carrying large stones up to a hill, where they would stack them one on top of the other over and over again until the whole mass would topple and fall to the bottom of the hill. Others pushed small stones around as if counting them; others weighed the difference between a large stone and several smaller. All these things were merely echoes of the lives they had once lived in, and had no purpose at all. But each zombie strained all of his empty will towards its work, even though it contributed nothing to anything at all.

As the little girl passed each lifeless husk, it slowly turned to look at her, and she felt the sadness of the shared knowledge that the meaningless endeavors and the emptiness would soon be her lot in life and still be long after life was a forgotten memory. None of the undead that were working in that place shed a single tear, however. Some stopped and looked, some went back to work immediately, and some changed which task they were doing, but whether stopping, staying on task, or starting a new job, each had no meaning. So the little girl turned around and began to go to the south, to where the other world was.

Eventually the little girl with no eyes came upon a clearing where many zombies stood staring blindly, their hands reaching out in front of them towards a figure who sat in the middle of a broken building, bandaged feet on the broken bits of colored glass, bandaged hands holding onto the stump of a pillar. He met the eyes of the zombies with his own gaze, and as they stared at him, all of them cried the tears of those who have forgotten how to find themselves and suddenly come around a corner and bump into someone who knows where they are.

The little girl moved through the standing, weeping zombies until she could see who the figure was. It seemed to her that she was in a dream, for the figure did not seem to fit in with the rest of that world, for something about his hands and feet seemed foreign, impossible, as if it were imagined when someone was sickly or distressed. Time had passed in that place for some while before she realized that they were red. That was all, just red and not black. They were red like the blade and the sea where the blade had fallen and the water around it. And she remembered with a start who she was and what she was and why she was here, for she had thrown the blade in the water rather than kill the man who she loved and who had not loved her. And she remembered that he had not loved her because of who she was and what she was and the great emptiness that had been birthed in her and that had driven her away from our world and into that world where she could no longer leave. And she remembered the three hundred years that it had taken her to work her way into that world where she could be alone.

Each of the things that stood before her seemed to blur. Her eyes burned as if they had been salted and she closed them. As if breaking out of the glass prison that had held them back, her tears fell freely, streaking down her face and down onto her hands as they rose and covered her eyes, her thoughts finally catching up to her.

“I don’t belong here.” She said. I never should have come. It was all a mistake. She knew it at once, as she always had. This was not the way. It never had been. There was no way through that world. There never would be. It was not a world that people went through. It was a world that people reached by mistake and became trapped in and became like it because they thought that they could conquer the blackness that was that world and in doing so to come to the next world in triumph.

But that world had triumphed. The little girl opened her tear-rimmed eyes and looked at herself for the first time since she had lost sight of wherever it was that she had been hiding. Her skin was torn and blackened, covered by dried black sap, by the blackness of the rain, the blackness of the water, the blackness of the world. And she saw that beneath the blackness that covered her, there was the blackness that she had brought with her and that had brought her to this place, the blackness of knowing that she could force her way through the world without succumbing to the reality of how that world was and her own past. And as the wind lashed her black hair across her face she smelled for the first time the scent of the brine and understood that the wind was free from the jungle with its sticky sap and the river with its dark, grasping water, and she thought of the foam that rests on the waves and of the black choice that caused her to choose a path where she could only trust herself and a witch, and that the two could not be trusted to find her the way home.

She suddenly knew that the truth was that she had been in that place for a long, long time and that she was black all over and within and so she knew that she would never be able to walk into the next world in the manner that she had walked into this one. And so she knew that the only way to enter the next world was to go back to our world and to finish what is was that she was doing when she first heard of the chance of making herself a soul, and of using it to get to that world, because the wind from the ocean passed through that world and it never became blackened. And she knew that if she had lived this long on the doorstep of the next world and had not yet became one of the dead, it was only because someone somewhere had wanted her to live, to hope, to persist, and one day to cry and even die. So she began to walk back through the crying dead and make her way to the gate to our world.

And as she walked towards that gate, her tears traced their paths across her skin, and in each path the blackness was washed away, revealing the flesh beneath.

Back