Adios Limbo!

Dark Virtue

No, not the dance.

What do you guys think of all the hubbub over the Pope aboloshing limbo?

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17419372%5E401,00.html

More importantly (since there are no Catholics here) what do you think about similar theological hypotheses?

Also, if you don't/didn't believe in limbo, what DO you believe happens to children that die? If you can't back that up with biblical evidence, wouldn't that be a theological hypothesis of your own?

I don't think so. Children don't exactly have the intelligence to really make the decision of whether or not to be a Christian or not...

And just so you don't say anything about it being my own hypothesis, Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins stated that belief in the Left Behind books.

ChickenSoup said:
I don't think so. Children don't exactly have the intelligence to really make the decision of whether or not to be a Christian or not...

And just so you don't say anything about it being my own hypothesis, Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins stated that belief in the Left Behind books.

Which were...works of fiction.

That's why I asked for biblical references.

<edited to remove emphasis - NOT NEEDED!>

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you not know about the event where David looses his child DV or are you waiting to counter it with an argument should it be brought up?

I don't follow Catholicism, but it sometimes seems to me like they're making half of it up as they go along.

IceBladePOD said:
Did you not know about the event where David looses his child DV or are you waiting to counter it with an argument should it be brought up?

Eh?

What exactly are we talking about here?

BTW, I have counters ready for all arguments :)

<edited to remove unneeded emphasis>

Well, there is a story in Matthew 19:13 - "The Little Children and Jesus" (NIV version)

Jesus clearly states that "...the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Okay, okay, so, if you take it literally, that means that all adults can't get into heaven (not the point I'm trying to make mind you). But if you look at it from a more in-depth way, you can see what Jesus is implying.

So, what do we associate with the word "child"? Well, for me, it means that they are innocent and naive. They are not really old enough to decide for themselves since they don't know better and they accept basically anything you (the guardian/parent) tell them without question.

1st Point - Well, can you really hold anything against someone that doesn't know better? Okay, fine, you can, but that'll be unjust.

2nd Point - I believe Jesus wanted Christians to be like children - those who do not question what their "Father" tells them. A child's innocence is what makes them so loveable (and annoying :rolleyes: )

Anyways, that's my opinion. Hopefully it's clear enough. If you need clarification, feel free to ask for it.

~Seeker

Seeker said:
Well, there is a story in Matthew 19:13 - "The Little Children and Jesus" (NIV version)

Jesus clearly states that "...the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Okay, okay, so, if you take it literally, that means that all adults can't get into heaven (not the point I'm trying to make mind you). But if you look at it from a more in-depth way, you can see what Jesus is implying.

So, what do we associate with the word "child"? Well, for me, it means that they are innocent and naive. They are not really old enough to decide for themselves since they don't know better and they accept basically anything you (the guardian/parent) tell them without question.

1st Point - Well, can you really hold anything against someone that doesn't know better? Okay, fine, you can, but that'll be unjust.

2nd Point - I believe Jesus wanted Christians to be like children - those who do not question what their "Father" tells them. A child's innocence is what makes them so loveable (and annoying :rolleyes: )

Anyways, that's my opinion. Hopefully it's clear enough. If you need clarification, feel free to ask for it.

~Seeker

I need clarification :)

Matt 19 has nothing to do with what happens to children when they die. I think you are drawing an incorrect parallel with that verse.

Addressing your first point...let's look at the 10th plague that God unleashed on Egypt. Ex 12: 29 At midnight the LORD struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well.

God struck down ALL the firstborn, including infants. Doesn't that sound just a wee bit unjust?

Dark Virtue said:
Eh?

What exactly are we talking about here?

BTW, I have counters ready for all arguments :)

<edited to remove unneeded emphasis>

Ack, I forgot about this, sorry DV.

Anyway, I was discussing with my Pastor the topic of Abortion, and what happens to the unborn. Many hold the theory those who are not capable of making a conscious decision for or against God before dying are destined for heaven. My Pastor pointed out 2 Samuel 12:15-23. Here David looses his child, and does not weep. Specifically, in verse 23, David metions he will join his child. Of course, interpretations vary on to what David actually means, but many speculate that the child will enter heaven, and David will eventually reunite with him there.

There's some other material I have on this somewhere, if you've got an argument ready for this one already. :D

Back