Alien Swarm speed runs

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Shout out to Elihu, Gator, and Grey (in alphabetical order) for earning the Rydberg Reactor Speed Run achievement. It was an awesome run, guys. Granted, it's probably a glitch as we cleared the mission in 3:54 and the achievement allegedly requires clearing the mission in 3:10 (another user reports the same bug here), but we still flew through. But that's not why I created this thread.

I created this thread to post links to speed run videos, find out who else is interested in speed runs, and discuss optimal loadouts, paths, and strategies to clear missions in the shortest time.

First, here are links to speed runs as performed by the clan R.I.P.:
We (Elihu, Gator, Grey, and I) knocked our time on Deima Surface Bridge down to 2:46. I watched this Deima Surface Bridge speed run video and can not, for the life of me, figure out how they shaved 18 seconds off our best time. A few seconds, sure, but 18?

The only thing I could think of was that the game doesn't consider Adrenaline as slowing down time for mission completion numbers, but that theory was disproved by the Landing Bay speed run video linked above.

EDIT: If anyone can find speed run videos for Timor Station and Sewer Junction B5 without profanity, please post links.

Last edited:
I really like the 4 PDS with damage multipliers idea for getting through the doors. I think with the adrenaline you could probably hack it just as fast but that is a more reliable solution.

I really like the 4 PDS with damage multipliers idea for getting through the doors. I think with the adrenaline you could probably hack it just as fast but that is a more reliable solution.
Aye, I'd like to try that out tonight.

I have to admit, Alien Swarm looks like a lot of fun. (I still wish Trine was multiplayer.. lol).

I have to admit, Alien Swarm looks like a lot of fun.
Well then play it! It's free, after all. If nothing else, you can play it during the inevitable Battle.net outages.

(I still wish Trine was multiplayer.. lol).
Agreed. Trine 2 will (if I remember correctly) have online multiplayer. Trine had local multiplayer, but for those of us with friends scattered across the nation (and some in foreign nations), local multiplayer on a single PC doesn't hold much appeal.

EDIT: The Mighty Gerbil, Keero, Clover, and I earned the Landing Bay Speed Run achievement last night. I doubt I'll pursue the other speed run achievements now that SC2 is out today and I've hit level 27 again (remember kids, just say no to the AS Promote button). The only thing left for me to do in AS now is to help Stc95 get the Landing Bay Speed Run achievement since it was my running into a wall immediately in front of the exit that cost us the achievement during a previous run last night.

Last edited:
EDIT: The Mighty Gerbil, Keero, Clover, and I earned the Landing Bay Speed Run achievement last night. I doubt I'll pursue the other speed run achievements now that SC2 is out today and I've hit level 27 again (remember kids, just say no to the AS Promote button). The only thing left for me to do in AS now is to help Stc95 get the Landing Bay Speed Run achievement since it was my running into a wall immediately in front of the exit that cost us the achievement during a previous run last night.

haha, 1 second! I think a lot of it had to do with the high ping I have when I play that game. I know the main reason I would die is because I would jump back into the mob of swarm.

haha, 1 second! I think a lot of it had to do with the high ping I have when I play that game. I know the main reason I would die is because I would jump back into the mob of swarm.
Perhaps it's time I take another shot at figuring out how to host a dedicated server on my desktop computer.

Perhaps it's time I take another shot at figuring out how to host a dedicated server on my desktop computer.

Have I ever told you you're my favorite online Christian group leader?? ;)

Have I ever told you you're my favorite online Christian group leader?? ;)
You have now! Mwah ha ha!

But seriously, I'm not sure running a dedicated server on a separate machine would even be that helpful. I'm willing to give it a shot, though, and see how it affects gameplay.

Back