All you Guardians out there

Very good point about not just letting the virtues sit passive. I was tempted to just enjoy the passive effects as well, but I find I'm much more effective the more I learn to time them right.

So, I'm currently in the low 40s, so I just picked up Renewed Justice, and in a mass fight it's amazing.

I leveled to 30 using GS and Scepter/Shield, with power/precision gear. For a change I switched to sword/torch for the last ten levels or so, and precision/condition damage gear to maximize burning. Scepter/Focus for alternate set for when I need to get some distance. At least in these mid levels, it seems to be every bit as effective as Greatsword, though somehow not quite as smooth feeling. It is fun to breath blue flames and constantly have everything running around you on fire. Think I'll be switching back to GS, though.

After running in WvW last night, I'm trying to figure out the best way to run Guardian in WvW.

Staff's #1 is only 600 range, so it's a great AoE for open warfare, but can't be used in battles where you or your opponents are on walls. It seems to be about support at that point.

Scepter/focus, on the other hand, gives you two 1200 range AoEs and an immobilize. Orb of Wrath works all right from atop walls, but since it follows the ground, is useless if you are attacking enemies on the wall from the ground.

It seems like it would make sense to go with both of these, then. Immobilize, AoE, AoE, the swap and fire off your Staff support skills while the S/F attacks are on cooldown, then swap back and fire again. Alternate attack/support.

The only problem is that leaves you without our wonderful melee weapons for the times when there aren't keep walls involved. In open combat it seems like we limit our effectiveness if we don't have the option to leap in and start swinging the heavy hitting melee.

So, I guess the best be might be to rotate three weapons, sticking with Staff and Scepter/Focus while engaged in wall battles, then switching one of them (probably scepter/focus) out for GS when taking suppply depots or roaming the open world.

Between Sword/Torch and GS, it seems like GS combination of both a leap and a pull gives it the advantage in being able to stay on enemies on open ground.

My musings at the moment. I'd love to hear more experienced responses. Ryan, with GS and Staff, are you just always making sure you're using siege when walls are involved? Or just going heavy support?

Back