American Suicide

I didn't read the whole thing yet, but right off the bat, the man seems to be quite against any sort of Hispanic nation.

It's kinda hard to not call the US a multicultural nation right from the beginning, seeing as how we were settled by Irish, English, Germans, Italians, French, Spanish etc.

Seems like nothing more than a racist rant from a fearful old man.

It's kinda hard to not call the US a multicultural nation right from the beginning, seeing as how we were settled by Irish, English, Germans, Italians, French, Spanish etc.

Yes, but when they came they adopted the language, traditions, etc. They came because they wanted to be an American, and took pride in that.

The people that come here from Mexico (because that's who Lamm is referring to) legally OR illegally want to be an American, and also take pride in it. I don't want this to be any sort of defense of illegal immigration so I'll say that right now. But I don't think it's too much for ANY immigrant to want to keep a part of their culture a part of their lives, and ask everyone else to kindly stay out of their business and respect them (unless it's illegal, or whatever). And as far as the multiculturalism goes, nobody ever replies "I'm an American" any more anyway, Hispanic or not. It's I'm 25% English, 10% Canadian, 15% Cambodian, 30% Fin(landian?) and 20% Australian. Multiculturalism isn't really a new thing here. Going to Applebee's will prove it :p

As far as being bilingual goes, it's not a bad thing. For any language.

oh boy. Illegal immigration.

it's very simple....WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL in ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is so hard to understand?

The people that come here from Mexico (because that's who Lamm is referring to) legally OR illegally want to be an American, and also take pride in it.

Oh yes, just as an estimated half of the prison population in california are illegal immigrants who have committed a felony. Real pride there.

/sarcasm

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I guess by that logic it's safe to say everyone else who is a citizen who has committed a felony has no pride in their country either?

Also: I never defended illegal immigration. But I'd say for sure that someone who is willing to risk prison or death to get here has pride and hope in the "American Dream". I will say though, that we as citizens don't do much to put faith in others' minds about legally becoming a citizen here, what with most of the US not trusting their own system and all.

actually if you research things many of the illegals ar sent by the mexican gov't tos end money back home wich the gov't takes. That's jsut the tip of hte iceberg. Look at worldnetdaily.com, newsmax.com and other non-mainstream pblications to get some deeper truths about not only illegal immigraiton but bout the globalist agenda.

I really didn't even want to get into a debate over illegal immigration......

I just don't think anyone can really claim that multiculturalism is a new superthreat to the US. It's always been multicultural here. To me it just seems like scare tactics cooked up by an old politician who wants attention. But maybe I'm jaded already.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I guess by that logic it's safe to say everyone else who is a citizen who has committed a felony has no pride in their country either?

Also: I never defended illegal immigration. But I'd say for sure that someone who is willing to risk prison or death to get here has pride and hope in the "American Dream". I will say though, that we as citizens don't do much to put faith in others' minds about legally becoming a citizen here, what with most of the US not trusting their own system and all.

Their only dream is to make money (and in a lot of cases send money to their family back home). These people live in fear of when they will be found out. Often times they have to pack in to dense living conditions. Any kids they have will not get a decent education without exposing themselves. I would not wish that lifestyle on anyone.

When you are living in desperate conditions you are much more likely to turn to crime to attempt and solve your problems. The problem isn't illegal immigration itself (which is still a major issue) but rather that these people are much more likely to commit crimes as they live in (and came from) poverty.

Their only dream is to make money (and in a lot of cases send money to their family back home). These people live in fear of when they will be found out. Often times they have to pack in to dense living conditions. Any kids they have will not get a decent education without exposing themselves. I would not wish that lifestyle on anyone.

When you are living in desperate conditions you are much more likely to turn to crime to attempt and solve your problems. The problem isn't illegal immigration itself (which is still a major issue) butrather that these people are much more likely to commit crimes as they live in (and came from) poverty.

That's a bit of a broad stereotype isn't it? There are a lot of hardworking people below the poverty line that just can't get above it that are completely law-abiding and honest. The stereotyping doesn't help either, but just writing off a poor, uneducated person as a potential criminal is what fuels the fire.

it's very simple....WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL in ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is so hard to understand?

Illegial immigration was only a slice of the pie that was that article. Did you even read the rest?

Oh yes, just as an estimated half of the prison population in california are illegal immigrants who have committed a felony.

Not true. If the person isn't a US citizen, they hold them for a few days and then deport them. They wouldn't be keeping them in prisons for any longer than a few weeks.

actually if you research things many of the illegals ar sent by the mexican gov't tos end money back home wich the gov't takes. That's jsut the tip of hte iceberg. Look at worldnetdaily.com, newsmax.com and other non-mainstream pblications to get some deeper truths about not only illegal immigraiton but bout the globalist agenda.

I have the privilege of knowing many illegal immigrants, and knowing many people who know many others. The sole purpose of their stay in the US is to send money home to their families. It had nothing to do with giving money to the government. First hand accounts trump fancy non-mainstream publications any day.

Anyways, fellows, this thread wasn't a debate on illegal immigration, it was on the speech, whether anyone agreed with it, what they thought was good/bad about it, whether the guy should be shot, etc.

Last edited:
I have a masters in Intercultural Studies, have lived in several countries and worked in many more. What follows is by necessity brief. This topic is one that really cannot be adequately addressed in post, but requires a thoughtful paper.

Historically Mr. Lamm is correct. Multiculturalism is death on any nation. An emphasis on diversity is death on any organization or group. That's not to say there can't be differences, but when those differences become the focal point, the organization begins to unravel. This is true not just for nations, but for churches, companies etc. It is possible to respect differences while focusing on unity.

I'm not sure I agree with Lamm's implication that we close the borders. We do need to enforce them and most of all, fix the whole immigration process.

Texas, by the way, is an example of illegal immigration. The Mexican government encouraged white settlers as long as they registered and became Mexican citizens. Most just moved in and skipped the paperwork. What resulted was a major clash in Worldview which lead to Mexico loosing that chunk of real estate.

Multiculturalism, as it is defined now in the U.S. is an aspect of postmodernism. There can be no meta-narative, no absolute right and wrong. If all cultures have equal weight in our laws and national identity it will, history shows, create increasing tension and clashes.

That being said, we have so many other issues in our nation that are not directly related to multiculturalism that threaten to undermine our nation that to lay the blame for it's destruction solely on the shoulders of postmodern multiculturalism is being a bit too simplistic.

Back