• I hate my computer

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • My computer has lots of cat hair in it

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I don't own a computer (personally)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vibrokatana

The question is: are you satisfied with your computer and if not why.

My guess is that a majority of users have some irk with their current system and would like to beef it up. This is mostly a hardware related issue and not software, but overall satisfaction can be dependent upon OS.

I am fairly satisfied with my computer. If I clean the cat hair out and get a better video card (Geforce 8800gt) i'll be very satisfied with it :).

My computer is pretty nice -- MacBook Pro. I only have 2 minor complaints. The first and most prevalent is that Safari can crash. For instance, I'll go to some sight to look at an article, and when I click to follow the link, Safari will crash. This will happen ever time I try to click that link. There are a few other problems, including the dock freezing, but they rarely happen. I expect all these problems to go away when upgrading to Leopard.

While officially considered a dinosaur by most, I can run most of what I've been wanting to play for the past few years, and can run Hammer Editor just fine, so I've really got no place to complain. It could be better, but I've got other ways to game so :D

I'm satisfied that I beefed up my computer to its highest potential (Maxed out).

Only 2 annoyances; a unstable OS and wasteful memory. =\

Overall, most of my games aren't totally high-res.

However, the upcoming game I'm hoping to get, is totally high-res.

- Starcraft 2

The question is: are you satisfied with your computer and if not why.

My guess is that a majority of users have some irk with their current system and would like to beef it up. This is mostly a hardware related issue and not software, but overall satisfaction can be dependent upon OS.
I would like to replace this machine as it's going on 6 years old..however for what i do it works fine so i am in no rush..:)

i love my PC its freaking amazing, but i just donated my video card to the church so i'll be getting a new one for christmas so i guess im getting an upgrade. my laptop is running really well for what i need and then my mac, prolly needs an upgrade since its only 512mb of ram i think..... but yeah its running well overall.

My computer rocks...and is current towards the top of the food chain, and when it isn't, I will upgrade back to the top...except my VC is acting funny...and I wanna a better one...maybe 1.5GBs of Graphic memory?

I'm content with... all of mine. Including that old gateway with the Pentium III and 128MB ram that I use for a router so I can bypass the campus internet reqs and get online in linux (Talked to the network admin and he said if I could find a way to get on the internet with my linux boxes to go right ahead. They just can't officially support it).

My laptop is my main machine, and has enough power to play what games I do play (Dawn of War, C&C up to Generals:Zero Hour, and Guild Wars) and do whatever else needs done (notes in class, essays, programming projects, etc.)

And I'm fine with my other desktop that I use as my storage device since it has the most HD space (at 160GB) and occasional testing ground for whatever linux distro I feel like trying this week -obviously the stuff I store there isn't usually important enough for me to even bother backing up anyway in case stuff goes wrong.

I do plan on eventually getting a top of the line system, but not really anytime soon because I'm happy with what I've got and I don't need to (or can't afford to) waste even more time playing all the new PC games I've been wanting to play for years and never been able to.

i crack open the side panel and blast some air in from time to time...ours are far past dust bunnies...more like dust hippos

I like my PC, but I want mobility. I'm considering getting a Dell XPS next year. I'd use it with my big monitor/gaming keyboard at home, and be able to take it with me during travel so that I can play WoW without having to update/re-install mods every time. ;)

I like my PC, but I want mobility. I'm considering getting a Dell XPS next year. I'd use it with my big monitor/gaming keyboard at home, and be able to take it with me during travel so that I can play WoW without having to update/re-install mods every time. ;)

I own a Dell XPS 410 (Desktop) and I hated Dell before, but I tried it anyway, and just to say their hardware is good, but the service sucks, and I hate Dell even more now that I am a customer, plus their XPS Laptops overheat like crazy so be careful... For mobility I would pick a MacBook, good price, good specs, stable OS, and good company...

also... YOU CANNOT REFORMAT A DELL WITH THE OS DISC!!! You have to get new copy of XP/Vista or a friends disc, because the Dell ones pretend to reformat, but then spends about 2 hours during startup recovering all your old stuff, I called them, and you cannot remove this, and I have tried to, and I know what I am doing...

Dell = Computers for people who don't know/wanna know about computers... I had to drop all the Dell junk before my PC was any good, and even though I got the "best" video card they offered, I checked it out, and the stupid thing doesn't even have a fan, and over heats like crazy...

If you must go with the evil company of Microsoft, then get a HP or *build it yourself*, avoid Gateway, and Compaq (even though they are HP, but they are economy and suck really badly)... And Dell, well I have made my point...I think... I suggest Macs' OSX or Linux' Fedora 8 or Ubuntu... I mean, really, why go with an unstable OS? ...and yes, you can play WoW on both Linux and OSX...

Last edited:
Well, if we are talking personal experiences, my Dell XPS M140 laptop is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Ok, not really, but you get the point. Its like a rock, multiple linux distros have been used on it since I've had it with absolutely no hardware problems (something that does not happen too often from my experiences), never needed support for anything because nothing's broke so far. Don't know about the OS disk, since I didn't get one (restore partition however has come in handy more than a few times...).

Mine runs cool, but that's probably because its not a dual core, nor does it have a high-end video card.

Owning not one, but two Dell systems (my other is an old Dimension 8100 desktop that's been... modded enough that I think the CD drive, the power supply, and the motherboard are the only things that haven't been replaced with something else) and working as a Computer Technician in an HP only college, I can say from my experiences, the only thing better about HP is their Active Chat support. I really don't think either is much better than the other.
I will say that we've had to send more than a few systems back to HP because they were DOA or had some -interesting- issues. But I think that'll happen to any company that sends out that much hardware to a single place(we got over 200 machines in about a week last summer when we got rid of some older hardware).

Dells are sorta hit or miss. The laptops they sell that are made by ASUS are very good and sturdy. The other ones are complete trash IMO and fall apart like it is a fashion statement. If you do buy an OEM machine that does not include a full windows disk take a picture of you not agreeing to the terms and conditions of windows and ship the CD with the license back to the company and they have to give you a refund.

Hey Xion,

I think we'll be okay... my hubby is a DCSE and hasn't had any significant problems with their machines. If ya ever need help with a Dell machine, shoot me a PM and he'll be happy to help. :)

That said, he built the two PCs we have now, and they run better than the branded ones we've had. I bought an iMac earlier this year and ended up selling it to a co-worker... I wanted to love Mac, I really did, but it just wasn't a match made in heaven. It's a good product though as far as stability goes.

We also have an Alienware laptop, bought shortly before they were bought out by Dell. It's an awesome machine, but we just can't see paying nearly double the price for what amounts to the same machine between Alienware and Dell for my laptop.

Last edited:
I own 2 Dell XPS 410s and I have to say they are awesome, I just find some of the Dell things (weird partitions, stupid OS disc) kinda ticked me off, and the video card I added $300 to the price for has a small heat sink and overheats a lot... Also /agreed with VK, if you do not get a OS Disc I would never even touch the PC... When I get a factory built PC, I completely reformat it, make 4 partitions, 1 for windows (10GB), 1 for Linux (10GB), 1 just in case (10GB), and leave the rest to all my data and games... I get rid of all the restore and recover software and save important data on an external that is back-uped on to DVD-Rs every month...lol... :)

Back