Back up locked save files

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
If you have a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, a SD card, and a bit of technical know-how, you can back up your save files for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Elebits, and other games that use locked save files.

To do so, you'll need to install the Homebrew Channel and Waninkoko's Savegame Extractor and Savegame Installer applications. I recommend using Wii Brew's WiiPack! Generator to build a Windows executable to install the Savegame applications to your SD card. Visit the page linked in the previous sentence for more information and downloads. Be sure to read the instructions thoroughly and view this tutorial video before generating your homebrew applications pack.

WARNING: Be sure to back up your Twilight Princess save games to your computer or a different SD card before running your custom WiiPack! Generator executable.

DISCLAIMER: While installing the Homebrew Channel and homebrew applications is perfectly legal, it requires exploiting a buffer overflow to do so. In other words, Nintendo likely isn't very pleased about this. You use the WiiPack! Generator, Twilight Hack, and homebrew applications at your own risk. DO NOT use the Twilight Hack or any homebrew applications if you do not own the Wii you play on or if you and your spouse purchased the Wii as a joint Christmas present and she/he has not yet approved the decision to install the Twilight Hack or any homebrew applications. (<3 you, Ember!) In fact, if you're married and your spouse also plays on the Wii, talk to them and reach a consensus before installing the Twilight Hack or any homebrew applications.

So why am I posting this? Because I believe denying customers the ability to back up their save game files--save games in which they invest hours upon hours--is absurd. If someone were to spend 50 hours playing through Super Smash Bros. Brawl only to turn on their Wii one day to discover their save game files had been corrupted, all the time and effort they invested in unlocking characters, stages, and other items would be lost.

Back when I played my Dreamcast more often than I do now, I downloaded and burned a save game file backup utility to disc and used it to unlock locked save files. It's sad when users have to take such drastic measures to back up their save data, but it's a testament to user ingenuity that such utilities exist.

EDIT: This isn't the first time I've posted about locked save game files on the Wii. I posted the following in a thread entitled Locked save files for Nintendo Wii games back in February:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone developed a utility to unlock locked save files within the next 6-12 months, considering that someone has already (allegedly) managed to run a homebrew version of Tetris using a save game exploit in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Last edited:
I have looked into this already.. I was turned off by the numerous reports that if you remain on connect-24 Ninentdo can brick your Wii if you have homebrew on it. >_<

There are some hacked savefiles on the wii-save site (check link on http://toj.cc/wii) that someone has used action replay on and twlight-hacked into the wii.. I personally dotn recommend it.

But there should be a way of backing up those pesky locked files. I use wiisave to back up all my compelted game etc.. but i cant transfer SMG, SSBB etc.. :(

Back