Battlefield 2142 Demo

astrod00d

Just a note to all who may consider getting the upcoming Battlefield 2142. The demo was released to the masses today via EA's downloader service. If you don't have EA downloader, you can get it at this link.

If you are interested in heading up our Battlefield Series Chapter, the position is currently open. Inquiries about the position can be directed to either Tek7 or SirThom.

For some reason I couldn't get the demo to run. I get an error message saying d3dx9_29.dll couldn't be found. I was hoping to be able to try out the demo because I'm curious as to how this game will run on my machine (Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 w/ 256 MB).

Apparently that error is a directx error, try upgrading to the latest version from microsofts website.

I'm downloading the demo now, I'll try it out this week.

Everyone I know that has tried it, gets that same error. Getting the latest directx from http://www.microsoft.com/directx fixed it for me as well.

I've been playing all weekend and it's pretty cool. I still like Conquest better than Titan though. The fact that it resets your stats every round and not letting you unlock anything is a real bummer. The default weapons cause you to want to always grab a vehicle. I created a BF2142 channel in Talon's TS server.

Oh and the buddy list and fast browser that works with your wheelmouse is an excellent WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY overdue addition.

I got it working. It runs pretty well on my computer. I'm thinking it'll run great when I upgrade my system this winter (going with a 4200+ X2, 1 GB of faster RAM, Radeon X1300). Thanks for the help on the DirectX deal. I had a feeling that's what it was.

Also in regards to getting the BF chapter running again, what would the responsibilities of the head of the chapter be?

Hello all in BF land! I play WoW in the Redeemed Guild, but my first game love is FPS. I downloaded the demo on saturday, and I think it's very good. I used to be in a Ghost Recon clan, then a BF1942 clan before BF2 came out. If I buy the retail version, I would love to get into a group here. Let me know if you all start one.

Also in regards to getting the BF chapter running again, what would the responsibilities of the head of the chapter be?

Here is what I found from a post by Tek7:

Battlefield Series Chapter Leader
Manage Tribe of Judah's Battlefield Series Chapter. Chapter Leader must own at least a copy of Battlefield 2. Develop chapter web site or delegate web site development to a Chapter Web Developer. Write and post Chapter Reports monthly in Tribe of Judah Staff Forum. Attend Tribe of Judah staff meetings or appoint delegate to represent chapter at meetings. Resolve internal conflicts or request assistance from Internal or External Conflict Mediator. Manage or delegate management of competition team(s), if applicable.

Just tried the demo, probably will not buy this game. Not really into the whole futureistic battlefield thing. I'll stick to Counter-Strike 1.6 and source. :)

I downloaded the BF2142 demo a few days ago, but need to burn some files to DVD before I have the hard drive space to install it. 300GB (100GB on primary drive, 200GB on secondary drive) just isn't enough. :p

Once I install and try the demo, I'll post my impressions here.

I tried it. It's pretty good, but it doesn't really feel that much different than BF2. It's kinda good, kinda bad in that way.

It's the same engine and it definitely feels a lot like BF2. However, most of the new content is locked out in the demo. The new stuff like turret deployment, stealth armor, and making a hybrid soldier (ie. sniper/medic etc...) remain to be seen. I pre-ordered at Best Buy so I can get the exclusive weapon (looks like a futuristic assault rifle with grenade launcher) and it came with a free 64MB dogtag style usb stick.

There are a few new bells and whistles plus the buddy list and good browser. There is also the Titan mode which is probably the biggest addition. Conquest is still there but every map can be played in Titan mode where both sides have a huge battleship in the air. You try to capture missile silos instead of control points and they start launching missiles at the enemy Titan. Once the shields are down you can fly aboard or launch yourself from APC pods onto the enemy Titan and assault it from within until you destroy it. It's pretty fun but the weapon unlocks are needed especially when you are assaulting the Titan. Give the demo a try.

Back