Behold! The Xmas Crate!

I found 3 Friday night, now I just want to know how to open them.

My Backpack
Option 1: Spend $2.49 per key on the Mann Co. Store.

Option 2: Send them to me so I can build a bigger crate bonfire when I finally record my crate destroying video.

I'm up to 18 crates on my own. If we all band together, we can can start a bonfire that will keep orphans and kittens warm all season long.

Christmas crates won't open with typical keys, but I have dumped 9 crates to my backup account if you would like them.

I'm up to 18 crates on my own. If we all band together, we can can start a bonfire that will keep orphans and kittens warm all season long.

Do it 4 the Kittens! :D

...but seriously these are a different type of crate that will probably not require $2.49 and will open in an event related spectacular (or it could require $4.99 AND YOUR SOUL! :p).

It does cost $2.49 XD T_T . So much for the glory days of free updates.

This doesn't make any sense which is why I didn't think they would do it. Typically Holiday items are restricted to the holiday they are on. Thing is if you get Holiday items from paying for them I think they are at least going to be like the free Halloween ones which you can use without time restrictions. After all who wants to pay for an item you can't even use for more than 2 weeks? Now the thing is who wants to see candy canes in July (saw Scout with candy cane melee I assume he got from box)? I certainly don't.

Option 1: Spend $2.49 per key on the Mann Co. Store.

Option 2: Send them to me so I can build a bigger crate bonfire when I finally record my crate destroying video.

Ooohhh. I have between 12-15 that I'd be more than willing to destroy in a crate-hate ceremony!

Ooohhh. I have between 12-15 that I'd be more than willing to destroy in a crate-hate ceremony!
And with Valve adding 100 slots to the TF2 backpack, I can collect those and other crates for the bonfire!

EDIT: Posted a thread on the official TF2 forums to ask if Valve ever intends to allow players to scrap crates. I figure I'll wait 5-7 days for a response then destroy all 20 crates along with whatever others donate toward the bonfire.

Last edited:
If the crates remain unscrappable I may give you mine, too. I certainly won't be paying to open them.

I'm wondering about the xmas crates. . .

Forgive my optimism, but what are the odds that Valve gifts a key to each user on the 25th?

Oh, I know there are keys for sale. . .but isn't there a price to pay if you want to open your presents before Christmas?

I'll probably be disappointed, but until the 26th I'll keep hope alive.

Corp... I know your not from Iowa like me but you might find help here:

1-800-BETS-OFF
There's likely something similar in Canada, though it may go by a different name.

"Pay to win" hats are annoying. Adding new weapons to the game with very little or no balance testing is obnoxious. But introducing introducing what is essentially low-stakes gambling (through the key/crate system) is despicable.

I don't think anyone would have taken issue with the item store if prices were reasonable (I don't think anyone can consider $17.49 for a virtual hat reasonable), if hats were not required for set bonuses, or if players could scrap crates. But Valve seems determined to disregard the consensus opinion of the community in favor of turning a quick buck.

I'm wondering about the xmas crates. . .

Forgive my optimism, but what are the odds that Valve gifts a key to each user on the 25th?

Oh, I know there are keys for sale. . .but isn't there a price to pay if you want to open your presents before Christmas?

I'll probably be disappointed, but until the 26th I'll keep hope alive.
Hmmm, I may have made a critical error. I received a key yesterday (23rd) and used it. Did I open my present too early? What if I had waited till the 25th?

Hmmm, I may have made a critical error. I received a key yesterday (23rd) and used it. Did I open my present too early? What if I had waited till the 25th?
I don't think waiting would have changed the contents of the festive crate.

Back