Bible Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Bishop

I was reading my devotional and came across this in my leading and felt lead to share. So please share your comments and thoughts.

Temptation is a universal struggle. Centuries ago a group of religious men came up with a way to combat sexual temptation. Whenever they saw an attractive woman on the street, they immediately closed their eyes and walked in a different direction. Naturally the well-intentioned men were constantly running into walls, columns, and poles and eventually became know as the "Bloody Nosed Phariesees." You must admire their motive, even though their method was less than perfect.

Everyone is tempted by something or someone on a daily basis. Some are tempted to lust, others are tempted to shop, east, or drink excessively, and still others are tempted to cheat. Temptation is something that you must deal with every single day, and if you continually give in to temptation, you will reap the negative and disastrous consequences as a result. Jesus dealt with temptation by harnessing the power of 3 simple, yet profound words.

In Matthew 4, Satan tempted Jesus three times, and every time Christ responded with three words: "It is written." Say those words out loud: "It is written." Jesus used those three words to introduce the truth and expose the lies from Satan: "It is written" "Do not put the Lord your God to the test". and "It is written" "Worship the Lord our God and serve him only." It is clear that Jesus had been feeding on God's Word throughout His entire life. HE had made it a habit to renew His mind on the truth revealed in the Scriptures.

There is no doubt that Christ spent hours praying over, meditation on, and memorizing the law of God. When temptation flew into town, Christ was ready to defend Himself with the truth from God's Word. To have victory over the things that continually tempt you, start memorizing the Word of God. One way to begin is to write on a small note card some Bible verses related to your specific area of temptation. Place the card in your shirt pocket or purse, and throughout the day, pull it out and read it to yourself. You may even want to read it aloud. Make copies of the card and tape them on the mirror in your bathroom, on your fridge, or on the dashboard of your car.

Doing this will keep the truth of God in front of you at all times. Another method you can use is to read the verse or verses into a tape recorder and play them back on your way to work. You might even include the words "it is written" to remind yourself that you are quoting the very Word of God. Don't condemn yourself for being tempted. Being tempted with sinful thoughts or desires is not a sin but acting on them is. Discover the amazing power to resist temptation by using the very words of GOd.

Matthew 4:4

But He answered, “It is written,

“‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Uel

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions

1. The Bible says that we should "flee from temptaion." In what ways were the "bloody nosed Phariesees" doing this? In what ways were they wrong in their solution?

2. Think about what temptation you struggle with, and the consequences you deal with when you give in to the temptation and sin. How does it make you feel when you give into these temptations?

3. Why are the words "it is written" so powerful? What does John 1 say about the word of God?

4. Find a verse that is related to a sin that you find yourself falling into, or if can not find one you can use James 1:12. "Blessed is the man who perserveres under trial [or temptations], because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." Then right it down & put it in a place that you will see during the times that you are being tempted.

To answer question number 3 off the top of my head, I would say the verse in Romans, The word of God is living and active, sharper then any two-edged sword, piercing to the devisions of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and descerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

1. The Bible says that we should "flee from temptaion." In what ways were the "bloody nosed Phariesees" doing this? In what ways were they wrong in their solution? they were trying to avoid being tempted to lust, but they were doing it in a way that not only prevented them from overcoming their sin, but endangered their bodies in the process

2. Think about what temptation you struggle with, and the consequences you deal with when you give in to the temptation and sin. How does it make you feel when you give into these temptations? usually I feel angry with myself, and then I tend to be angry with other people as a result

3. Why are the words "it is written" so powerful? What does John 1 say about the word of God?John 1 tells of Jesus being the word, so when we use the written word of God we are also calling on the name of Jesus

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back