Brawlhalla

I've been playing it on the PC. So far I think it's fun. A lot of that characters feel very similar in how they play, so not as much variation I think as is in smash and you do have to deal with limited character pool until you either pay money of level up I think. But the mechanics over all feel really nice. So not as good as smash, but for free and online with up to 8 people, I'm not gonna complain too much.

Playing it now that it's gone live on PS4. I like it a lot. I can copypasta some thoughts I had from Discord if they're wanted.

Bottom line: Worth the download.
Second bottom line: If you enjoy playing Smash, and not just because of the licenses of Smash, get in on it.

Once cross-platform takes hold (officially announced, but not live yet), it'll be even better because I can play with you all. :D

Updated:
Copypasta1
Slightly more detailed response. Character diversity is interesting. Combat skills are based on weapon types, and every character is a combination of two weapon types. Characters can only use their weapon types.
But five different characters could all have as one weapon skill the same bow type.
Game is a little more streamlined than Smash. I've read it said that it's more fundamentals based and not as dependent upon comboing as competitive Smash. This seems fair enough to me.
The game is built for both party and competitive play.
Seems to have very active dev support, so that's pretty sweet.
They just released a character that introduced a new weapon type.
Biggest shortcoming so far are peripheral matters, mostly of polish.
That's why I say if you like Smash for the mechanics, then it's an absolute play, especially with no buy in.
Stage design isn't particularly exciting. Mechanical construction is good, but aesthetic is just serviceable. Also, not actually sure the game has music.
These are side things, but if the game had these things, it'd be remarkably shiny and polished.
Still, as is, definitely on my "play this game" list.

Copypasta2
So, I love playing Brawlhalla, but even after adjusting the music, I'm still not impressed. Backgrounds are pretty, though.
That said, the game lacks pizzazz polish that Smash has. That is its biggest weakness right now. Because the game is very sound, but it doesn't have hype built into the presentation the way Smash does, and that's too bad.
Still, just played a few ranked matches,and I enjoyed all of them. :)

Last edited:
Back