Can someone point me to the history of this site?

GameProf

Hey,

I'm still working on my book, and I'm wondering if someone has written a brief (or long, whatever) history of CGAlliance. It'd be nice to know when it was founded, by who and so on. Please don't spend a ton of time on this for my sake, because it will only be a brief mention in the book (too much good stuff to fit in, so I have to compact an awful lot!), but if there's already a history post or article, it would be great to find it.

I'm actually looking for histories of any of the sites associated with you (and other Christian gaming sites). If anyone happens to know of any, you can post the links here.

Thanks!

Kevin

Unfortunately, I haven't done a very good job of keeping a timeline for the CGA. I'll see if I can take some time in the near future and dig through the archives for exact dates. I believe that the Alliance was established in 2001 and I took over as President in 2003, but I'll need to look through some very old e-mails to confirm or give more specific dates.

I can tell you that jammer7 and I worked together to form the Christian Gamers Alliance and he served as its first President. When he resigned, I accepted the role of President in addition to my role as Tribe of Judah President. (ToJ is one of several CGA affiliates.)

As for Tribe of Judah, this thread is going to provide the best summary of our history up to 2006.

Okay, after a bit of digging, I have some dates I believe to be accurate:

The Christian Gamers Alliance was formally established in April 2001.

jammer7 resigned from the role of CGA President and appointed me as his replacement in December 2002.

Awesome, thanks! That's good enough. I'll put it in the book--maybe as an endnote, but hopefully in the text itself.

And just out of sheer curiousity, was the CGA always intended to be an umbrella organization for a whole bunch of different clans and games? If so, why did you have that idea? Who were the original partners?

And just out of sheer curiousity, was the CGA always intended to be an umbrella organization for a whole bunch of different clans and games? If so, why did you have that idea? Who were the original partners?
It was always meant to be a gathering of Christian gaming groups and web sites, yes.

As for the why: Jammer, I, and other Christian gaming groups leaders recognized we were doing many of the same things. Rather than operate in closed circles, we wanted to create an alliance to pool our resources and serve our members, the gaming community at large, and, most importantly, God, more effectively.

As for the original partners: I'd need to dig through the archives a bit more to get specifics. Most of the old guard (circa 1999-2001) is no longer involved in the Christian gaming community. I'm something of a relic, truth be told. :) I founded Tribe of Judah in May 1999 and have been leading ToJ ever since.

Thanks so much! I read through the other post as well. One of the things I've noted about gaming communities is that they tend to have very short lifespans. It's kind of funny (to me, anyway) to say that a decade makes you an old-timer. You're surely right in the context of this community and others like it. But in comparison to, say, a real physical town or a church or something like that, ten years is a substantial amount of time, but hardly something that would qualify you as an old-timer. I see so many websites for groups and organizations that seem to have sprung up, flourished for a while and then essentially went dormant--often the whole cycle seems to only take 2 or 3 years.

Anyway, you've got a real accomplishment here, and I'm glad that you've had that kind of longevity!

Kevin

What's interesting to me, is that because of the way this umbrella works, we find ourselves coming together in new games more often than not. So even those of us with short attention spans for new games... we tend to play with people we know.

Another interesting sidenote is that quite a few of us have stayed in touch with the "old group" long after we quit playing the games that brought us here. I've been out of WoW for a while now, but I'm still hanging around. I still post in the TF boards from time-to-time... still troll them on facebook and G+, etc.

Anyway, you've got a real accomplishment here, and I'm glad that you've had that kind of longevity!
Thanks!

All the credit goes to God; I've worked on other online and local projects that fizzled out after a while. ToJ and the CGA are the only organizations I helped establish that not only survived to the present time but also thrived. The key difference is that ToJ and the CGA revolve around Christ where the other groups were related solely to hobbies.

Back