Christian students sue UC over admissions (article)

Ember

Mrs. Tek7
*Linky*

I was wondering what your thoughts would be on this article.

I tend to think that Christian schools should provide a "technical" education, so to speak, then expound on the science/history/facts within the Christian context. For instance (to use an example from the article...not trying to raise a dead horse topic), if you're going to teach about Roe v. Wade, talk about the court decision, the historical context, maybe a little about the abortion procedure, etc. before saying it "advanced the 'slaughter' of the unborn." It's not incorrect to say it gave women the right to choose...that's what it did, whether you agree with it or not. So say what it is and then discuss the moral implications. I tend to think that, if you don't get the more technical stuff out of the way first, no one's going to take you seriously in the real world. Of course, not all Christian schools have such a religious slant that the education is lost in the mix, which is what the article suggests takes place at Calvary Chapel Christian School. Anyhoo, what is and isn't in a Christian education isn't really what I'm most interested in discussing.

What are your thoughts on UC's refusal to accept certain classes as prerequisites for admission? Since I don't know exactly what is being taught at the school in question, I can't form an exact opinion, but refusing to certify classes because they were taught in a Christian context seems like overkill to me.

Thoughts? :)

The criteria for further education has to be your preparedness academically. Nothing more or less. If Christian courses are not teaching the facts then they cannot be accredited and if they're not accredited then you don't get in. We can't have one benchmark for one set of students and another for a different set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back