Comments anyone?

ajmucha

This is only a teaser of sorts for a story im writing, any input and/or criticism would be greatly appreaciated.

“Claíomh Solais…the legendary tournament planet…a re-creation of the mighty Roman Coliseum…I never thought I
would be fighting on this rock.” Korit muttered over his headset as his Esion’s cockpit hissed close. He heard a slight
chuckle on the receiving end of the secure line created between Roland’s Esion and his own. “What do you find so
humorous?”

“If you must know, the 14th Royal Guard received a special request to compete this year, which, as you should
know, is a high honor.” Roland replied as he waited patiently inside the serene darkness of his own Esion's cockpit.

“I vouch for your father’s theory. The tournament organizers only wanted a celebrity to enter the tournament to
draw spectators. Just make sure you stay alive.”

“I am not concerned with such complications, old friend. The organizers took every conceivable precaution to
prevent any instance of that. Also...” his reply was cut short by a sudden broadband transmission from the control
ship hovering high overhead.

“Attention: The Ring of Fire stage of the seventh annual Claíomh Solais Tournament is about to begin. Most of you
already know that this round is the quarter-final round of the Colossus Championship. There are twenty-four of you
today, each in pairs. The top eight pairs will move on to the Semi-Finals, and then the last two teams proceed to the
final round. Then the last team standing shall earn the envied title of Claíomh Solais Champion! On behalf of the CSTC
and trillions of fans across the Terrain Republic, we wish you an honorable and phenomenal fight. Let the games
begin!”

The transmission ended as abruptly as it began, a loud siren signaling the start of the round. Roland’s eyes
quickly adjusted to the light as his Esion’s reactor roared into life, lighting up the myriad of displays and controls. A
few dozen display panels as well as thousands of meters and contorls, ranging from basic heat monitors to intricate
nuclear reactor stability flickered on. A small light strip on the floor panel lit up near the foot and movement controls,
as the columns of the control sticks glowed softly. All across the battlefield, others did likewise.

With a dull thud, the right foot of Roland’s Esion moved forward, the fiber-optic camera system revealing a 180°
arc of the battlefield. He looked over to see the Esion of Korit, his partner, turn sharply left and raise the twin mortar
cannons of his Goliath, already taking aim. “Be careful. Remember what happened in the last round. Try to let the
enemy fight back a little bit before blasting them to kingdom come.” The only reply he received was a grunting sound,
as the barrels glowed white and launched the twenty-seven inch diameter high-explosives over to the neighboring
island. He glimpsed the sight of a bluish fireball erupting, soon followed by an orange one and a plume of smoke.

Roland grinned a little as he concentrated his aim at a Hydra on the neighboring island. He watched cautiously as his
targeting systems locked on. He piloted his customized Eclipse swiftly through the trees. He broke through a slight
clearing and fired off a shot from his Rail Gun, the humming of the electromagnets temporarily blocking out the
announcer’s commentary as the depleted-uranium and titanium alloy slug tore through the air, colliding with his
opponent and sheering off a majority of the armor on its left arm. His opponent turned to face him as a pair of Dragon
Fang Missiles collided with its other side, turning its other arm into a chunk of twisted, molten metal.

His Esion’s feet hit the water, moving closer to his opponent’s island so he could attain a new lock for his twin
Rotary Large Laser Cannons. A salvo of approximately ten stinger missiles crashed into the water around him as Korit
shouted over the line, “I’ll cover you. Just concentrate on your target!”

Roland grinned as from the edge of his view screen he saw Korit’s Goliath recoil under an assault of nearly twenty
missiles, though seemingly unfazed by the barrage. He laughed as he brought his mortars to bear again, and fired,
blasting the cliff out from under the modified Bowman.

The voice of the commentator blared out “Ouch! He’s gonna feel that one in the morning!”

Thanks all

On a side note, I'd appreciate anyone to suggest ideas on how to make this better, as well as mention which unnamed opponent they feel the most sorry for.

NOTE: This is a sci-fi book, most names, unless referred to as otherwise, refer to Esions, a sort of mechanical fighting machine either based on 2 legs, or in very rare cases (which shall be denoted) 4. I guess you could compare them much to Mechwarrior, however, if you want more technical data, PM me.

Last edited:
I dig it. But I NEED it to be spaced out better. You're lucky it was short, or I wouldn't have read it. Press 'ENTER' between each paragraph please for future updates! And keep up the good work.

One suggestion, I'd like to be able to visualize the cockpit but I have a tough time doing that. How about you describe it to me...?

oh, i didnt really notice it did that....i copied and pasted from Word and it was fine, im on it. will add cockpit description ASAP

Here's what I meant by a space between paragraphs.

This is only a teaser of sorts for a story im writing, any input and/or criticism would be greatly appreaciated.

“Claíomh Solais…the legendary tournament planet…a re-creation of the mighty Roman Coliseum…I never thought I would be fighting on this rock.” Korit muttered over his headset as his Esion’s cockpit hissed close. He heard a slight chuckle on the receiving end of the secure line created between Roland’s Esion and his own. “What do you find so humorous?”

“If you must know, the 14th Royal Guard received a special request to compete this year, which, as you should know, is a high honor.” Roland replied as he waited patiently inside the serene darkness of his own cockpit.

“I vouch for your father’s theory. The tournament organizers only wanted a celebrity to enter the tournament to draw spectators. Just make sure you stay alive.”

“I am not concerned with such complications, old friend. The organizers took every conceivable precaution to prevent any instance of that. Also...” his reply was cut short by a sudden broadband transmission from the control ship hovering high overhead.

“Attention: The Ring of Fire stage of the seventh annual Claíomh Solais Tournament is about to begin. Most of you already know that this round is the quarter-final round of the Colossus Championship. There are twenty-four of you today, each in pairs. The top eight pairs will move on to the Semi-Finals, and then the last two teams proceed to the final round. Then the last team standing shall earn the envied title of Claíomh Solais Champion! On behalf of the CSTC and trillions of fans across the Terrain Republic, we wish you an honorable and phenomenal fight. Let the games begin!”

The transmission ended as abruptly as it began, a loud siren signaling the start of the round. Roland’s eyes quickly adjusted to the light as his Esion’s reactor roared into life, lighting up the myriad of displays and controls. A few dozen display panels as well as thousands of meters and contorls, ranging from basic heat monitors to intricate nuclear reactor stability flickered on. A small light strip on the floor panel lit up near the foot and movement controls,
as the columns of the control sticks glowed softly. All across the battlefield, others did likewise.

With a dull thud, the right foot of Roland’s Esion moved forward, the fiber-optic camera system revealing a 180° arc of the battlefield. He looked over to see the Esion of Korit, his partner, turn sharply left and raise the twin mortar cannons of his Goliath, already taking aim. “Be careful. Remember what happened in the last round. Try to let the enemy fight back a little bit before blasting them to kingdom come.” The only reply he received was a grunting sound as the barrels glowed white and launched the twenty-seven inch diameter high-explosives over to the neighboring island. He glimpsed the sight of a bluish fireball erupting, soon followed by an orange one and a plume of smoke.

Roland grinned a little as he concentrated his aim at a Hydra on the neighboring island. He watched cautiously as his targeting systems locked on. He piloted his customized Eclipse swiftly through the trees. He broke through a slight clearing and fired off a shot from his Rail Gun, the humming of the electromagnets temporarily blocking out the announcer’s commentary as the depleted-uranium and titanium alloy slug tore through the air, colliding with his opponent and sheering off a majority of the armor on its left arm. His opponent turned to face him as a pair of Dragon Fang Missiles collided with its other side, turning its other arm into a chunk of twisted, molten metal.

His Esion’s feet hit the water, moving closer to his opponent’s island so he could attain a new lock for his twin Rotary Large Laser Cannons. A salvo of approximately ten stinger missiles crashed into the water around him as Korit shouted over the line, “I’ll cover you. Just concentrate on your target!”

Roland grinned as from the edge of his view screen he saw Korit’s Goliath recoil under an assault of nearly twenty missiles, though seemingly unfazed by the barrage. He laughed as he brought his mortars to bear again, and fired, blasting the cliff out from under the modified Bowman.

The voice of the commentator blared out “Ouch! He’s gonna feel that one in the morning!”

And also, I like it a lot better the second read. I think it's because I'm running on NO sleep, and my college is in Flint... so if I try to go get some coffee I'll get mugged. I'll be reading it once more soon. If you could, post any updates in BOLD. They'll be easier for me to spot.

And lastly, what are they in the cockpit of? At first I thought a plane. But, then I saw Goliath in there. Might want to note that in your description of the cockpit.

ok now, in reply to your comments/question, i'll give ya'll this.
i enjoy writing scifi and fantasy, and this is scifi in particular. The named units in this such as "Goliath" and "Eclipse" are called Esions, and are semi-humanoid fighting machines, vaguely simliar to that of mechwarrior. they range in height from about 30-50 feet, possess nuclear reactors and weapons from exhaust cannons to massive laser rifles

Good job

Hey there,
I read your teaser. I like the glimpse of the world you have given us and I can tell a lot of thought has been put into it. That being said, I just wanted to ask something/ give constructive critisism: Is it possible to somehow, show more than tell what you have written? It just seems that we are given a lot of info that the characters would already know and they speak it like it is the first time for them to hear it. That was my only problem with the story really. Otherwise, awesome job!
Jason

i kinda designed it that way, as this particular piece occurs early on in the book, and most readers may or may not have encountered it before, which is why i'm currently compiling a glossary which should help with understanding. for example, if you heard the name Claíomh Solais, would you instantly know what that is without reading an short explanation? Also, in response to ther general question of "What exactly are they in?" I will try to get a sketch of some sorts up ASAP.

Nice story. I felt like I was watching the coliseum in MW4 Mercenaries. That was one tough level for anyone who owned that game.

Anyhow, the only two things that stuck out at me were:

1. The announcement made by the tournament director-- was that a live broadcast feed or a transmission to the pilots? As a transmission to the pilots, it seemed like an unnecessary reminder-- maybe make that the TV broadcast instead?

2. The "twin Rotary Large Laser Cannons" bit... I'd probably shorten that to "twin rotary lasers". What you put there was a bit over-descriptive for a heated battle. You can use the current phrase as part of a description later on, maybe back in the shop when they repair their mechs, maybe even include a brand name-- like "Esitech Twin Rotary Large Laser Cannons".

in response to wildbill, the announcements are made on a broadband channel, which in that scenario, broadcasts to both the media and the pilots unless they choose to switch off such requencies in their cockpits.

Edit: I forgot this which may be interesting...anyone who read this, i'd like to see what you think an Esion would look like. I'll leave this open for about a week, and then i'll post the picture myself. Thanks, and good luck!

Back