CS 1.6 or.....something else?

CS 1.6 or.....something else? - What should our server run?

• CS 1.6

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • Something far better!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

[7F]LarryBoy

Due to all the problems ppl seem to be having with 1.6, and all the rants being posted, I have prompted myself to ask this question: Should we continue to host Counter-Strike (eventually rolling fully over to 1.6), or should we bite the bullet and try a different game? Please utilize the handy poll above, and let me know what you think!

If you feel that we should host a different game, please post in here what game we should be running. Please note that we only have the time to admin and support one game, so no CS 1.6 AND something else. Also, we're rather partial to team-based games, so you prolly wouldn't find a [TRiBForCe] Q3A server anytime soon...

Anywho - let us know!

Though I voted for CS1.6, I am not happy having to go there. This thing is broken. Unfortunately, Valve is not responsive at all right now to the lists but I am not giving up hope. I was/am excited about Halo PC which went gold yesterday with availability by Sept 30th. The bad news is NO co-op, this is purely single or multi. Dumb move, my guess, it won't go far. The other hopeful I have is American Army. Since late August and the release of 1.9, they have provided a Linux server which I am currently reviewing for possible future considerations. Hmmmmm ... time for a new poll :)

I think its time we all had to learn a new game and get some new leet skillz ;) Unfortunatly, I don't really have many suggestions as I haven't had the cash to try anything out really. But I will pretty much go with whatever trib decides as its a great server/community and I know Hawk wouldn't host a crap game
smile.gif

try out some America's Army.

It's a great team game, amazing realism, VERY good on the bank. It's free. Not a beta, not a demo. Full version. FREE. That's a good deal in anyone's books.

Hey, just a snip from the latest developer update from AA:

"I know the buzz for 2.0 is already starting, and I won’t even attempt to try to stop it. I will say though that we are still many weeks away from an update. On the bright side, we are nearing an “alpha” state where all of the planned features for 2.0 are in the game. We’ll then focus on testing, optimizing, bug-fixing and polishing as we move towards a more substantial “beta” state. Currently we are progressing very well and I’m feeling pretty confident of our work right now.

Many of you have seen the recently released screenshots of 2.0. There seems to be particular interest in the images of the Indigenous Forces. To clarify, SF teams frequently train and fight along side of indigenous personnel from other countries. We wanted to depict this in the game to better reflect the type of work done by the SF. From this standpoint, players will have the option of choosing to play the game as IF, and support those who are Special Forces. This means that you will look like an indigenous fighter (although you will have a different appearance than the Opfor), and be equipped accordingly. Additionally, for those do not meet the qualifications to play as SF, you will still be able to participate in selected maps by playing as IF. Once you meet the SF requirements, you will then be able to select either role.

A lot of people have been asking me how many maps will be in 2.0. The current plan is to include four new multiplayer maps and two training maps. Of the multiplayer maps, two are close quarters, one is a large terrain map, and the last is a variation of Pipeline that will accommodate some of the new SF features. All are live fire. The two training maps will consist of a classroom setting, and a nighttime Escape and Evade mission. These are just a portion of what is planned for the overall SF package, and more content along these lines should be coming your way in future updates.

While I’m on the subject of maps, I want to remind everyone that we raised the system requirements a bit when we released 1.9. This really didn’t have much impact on the content of 1.9, but is will be a big factor in 2.0. In particular, to play most of the new maps you’re definitely going to need at minimum a 64 meg video card. For those who want to play with all the bells and whistles, you’ll want 128 megs or more. The game has been out for over a year now, and to take advantage of some of the Unreal engines more advanced features, we’ve had to push the envelope a bit. To compensate though, we’ve added many new detail options, so users will be able to better customize the game according to their own systems. Overall, I think you’ll find that the payoff is going to be big."

:-D More maps...I think these extra 4 will bring the total up to 17...

Ok well maybe try out the RtCW:ET you can to go activision.com and find it at their webpage, its free and really good also

Been there, done that, unfortunately there is no long term strategy for that game. There is no further development, no expansion, no committment while AA has the government of the US funding it :) I see a long term relationship with AA if CS goes any further south.

Yea, I played the requisite 2-3 weeks of RtCW:ET, and after that, it was pretty stale. No option of more custom maps, ugh!

i got like 4 "custom" maps, the ones that i had to dl seperately because they didnt come with the install. i think the game is fun, although i did only play it for a month b4 i had to leave for school

Well I just (positvely)ranted for AA:0

waaaaay cool dude, I'm all over that one. I'm not sure if there are significant changes to the engine, i/o, choke, etc...you know, the things that matter to us 56K'ers.

If there were, I'd certainly play again! But as I said in Adams Poll, I can play AA online with no problem, last night I played for a couple of hours without a hitch. Even bagged me some bad boys!

cs 1.6 is fun, AA has slow gameplay, but is fun as well, battlefield 1942: desert combat, is fun - maaaaan, too many fun games to play! lol

I would surely miss CS (been playing since beta 3ish) but, hey, I'm loving the 'play and taunt' with meh homies here...the game honestly doesn't matter as much as the ppl here. Let's find one that'll stick. Hopefully they grab 1.6 by the ears and shake it like a bamboo matt!

Has anyone thought about maybe another Halflife mod to run? just asking...

I just hope VALVe and Steam better realize the stink that they are raising through the CS community so far with 1.6

Any hope for CZ?

Back