Dungeon Hunter: Alliance coming next week

...still gotta go back for a run through hard mode as pure evil... and collect all the stuff I haven't yet collected. >.>

Better do it before you have a problem with your copy-protected save and you have to start over!

Update: Thursday deadline for work pushed to Tuesday morning, so had to do some stuff tonight and only got to play for 20-25 mins. So read the initial impressions with a grain of salt.

Initial impressions:
1) Expect a demo at some point. After buying the game, I was given the option to download the "demo" + unlock.
2) Initial story doesn't seem bad at all. No Pulitzer, but actually initially interesting but didn't have to sit through 30 mins of dialog.
3) Combat is already fun, already getting loot addicted (woot, non-white items FTW)
4) This looks MUCH more polished than I'd expect from an "iPhone port".
5) Menus look like they'll take a teeny bit to get used to, but look like they're very well done.
6) 2 weapon sets for swap, superpower spell to be used once per minute, hit a somewhat mean-looking balrig-like boss monster 5 minutes in that was pretty cool. Felt like they were saying, "yup, we got boss monsters that aren't just palette swaps".
7) Graphics look pretty good. Was impressed with the menu/character selection. No customization (like I care!), but was more polished than I'd expect with the character selection/etc.

All in all, maybe I had low (or average) expectations, but this game has exceeded them so far. We'll see how things go next time I get a chance to play, but I'm very pleased with my purchase at the moment.

Long overdue - bring on the hack-n-slash loot fests!

Edit: and if my mega-biased opinion doesn't cut it...my wife enjoyed herself as well. Oh yeah. Well done Gameloft, well done.

Last edited:
Better do it before you have a problem with your copy-protected save and you have to start over!
Silly Ryan, inFamous doesn't have a copy-protected save file. At least, not according to this list.

Edit: and if my mega-biased opinion doesn't cut it...my wife enjoyed herself as well. Oh yeah. Well done Gameloft, well done.
I love how "My wife enjoyed it, too!" is used as a selling point around here. lol

I love how "My wife enjoyed it, too!" is used as a selling point around here. lol

Just saying I wouldn't trust my word if I was someone else; I know I'm biased. Reading an initial review on a dungeon crawler from me is like reading a review from you on a crossover fighting 2.5D game remake.

K, have played for two days now, and am almost up to level 8 with my rogue; I believe I've played about 4 hours total.

Here's my review, and a bit more about the game. I know some of you are on the fence and probably won't buy at $13 or $10, but I hope you keep this game in mind down the road when it has a demo or a price drop.

1) Inventory is huge. I may be mistaken, but I do not believe I've ever played a game that let me carry that much stuff. This plus transmutation (turn items into a bit of gold) keeps the looting fun and painless. I haven't yet had to transmute items to make room though, as I only hit a full inventory after purposefully skipping merchants to see how much I could hold.
2) Speaking of looting, it's great here. I'm still getting used to item rarity colors since they're a bit reversed of what I'm used to. Other than that, the loot system has been great and I'm already loving some of my rare/unique items. I'm also already obsessing over which stuff to take - should I take the one with more base damage or with a high slow rate?
3) Dual weilding - system works similar to old D&D. Primary weapon + "offhand" weapon. This can be done from the start with no penalty, other than losing the defense of a shield or a 2h weapon, of course. Then again, the rogue has some skills to help increase dual wield damage and equip two 1h weapons. Warrior has a skill to equip a 2h wep with 1 hand, not sure if you can hold two of them though.
4) Skills - Each class has 7 tiers of 3 skills, and you unlock tiers as you gain levels. There are active and passive skills. There are no "prerequisites" for any skill, so you can put all your points where you want them. For a chunk of gold, you can completely respec your character, so you don't have to feel bad about experimenting.
5) Attribute system is pretty simple but effective; you have strength, dexterity, endurance, and energy. These serve to boost weapon/bow damage, increase armor, health, and mana. They also serve as prerequisites for equipping items. These also get reset when you respec your toon for gold.
6) Bosses - Can't speak for every boss, but the first "main" boss fight I hit (the Goblin King) was awesome. Dude is big and ugly, and hits hard and fast. Periodically summons a room FULL of goblins, so you have them and fireballs chasing you from everywhere. Then, after I was thinking, "ok, I've got this down, he's getting down to about 1/3 health", he went absolutely berserk. Super fast running and attacks, couldn't keep him off my butt. I'm not sure if that is the norm for all bosses, but I will say I felt pretty accomplished after beating him, and wearing that crown he dropped.
7) Co-op - I have yet to play online yet, but heard it had an issue with mics and with joining via invite (only works if you spam X button when joining). Gameloft has said these will be fixed pronto. From what I've played of local, it's great. I've also heard that more players = more difficulty = better loot. Awesome.

Summary/TL;DR: Game is even better than I was hoping, great at what it does, etc. I'm just sad this isn't a retail purchase and I won't be able to enjoy it for as long as I had hoped. I still expect I will probably get 70-80 hours of it, though. These aren't just my opinions, though; the predominant player reaction I've seen in forums is "I haven't had this much fun on a console since Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance". I would heartily recommend this game at $12.99. Any deal that may come in the future makes this a complete no-brainer.

Last edited:
Wish it was $10, can't afford another 10~20 bucks for a PSN card. :/

Wish it was $10, can't afford another 10~20 bucks for a PSN card. :/

Confused by this statement. Forget, do you still have plus? That'd bring the price down to the $9.74 I paid, and buying games at a discount doesn't cause them to lapse.

I only had 3-months of Plus, so it's 13 for me at the moment. And with 23ish bucks left for the next month, I'm gonna hold onto the $10 credit that's on my PSN account currently. GO GO DEMO!!

Back