Family Prayers Please

Kahiel

I hate bother you all with this because I feel like I am always complaining, but I really need prayer for my family.

About a month or a month-and-a-half ago, my brother-in-law called my wife and informed her that he is really a woman named Ashley and he is having hormone treatments. Naturally this broke my wife's heart. My wife has been trying to work through her emotions about this situation, but at the same time her brother and other members of the family have been picking on her because she's "not tolerant."

When I met my wife I was an agnostic. She grew up in a very strict Baptist church and school. Her father was a deacon and taught Bible study. They were very firm and stalwart in their faith. About ten years ago that changed. My father-in-law is now a supporter of homosexual marriage and has taken a very "flexible" view of Scripture. (He bragged to me that he was part of a Sunday school where they all came with questions to discuss and "there are not right answers." You could have knocked me over with a feather.)

My father-in-law posted on Facebook that my brother-in-law's dog had a boarding appointment for Thanksgiving. We made it clear when he made the announcement that we would not go to my brother-in-law's for Thanksgiving. We would be happy to have Thanksgiving with him at my father-in-law's if he dressed appropriately. The catch is that we will not expose my nine-year-old son to this kind of mental illness. (Oh and my son is being assessed for an eating disorder this week.)

My brother-in-law has twisted everything my wife has said but no one else in her family will bother to call her and ask her what she's actually said.

So, my father and mother-in-law and one sister-in-law have taken her brother's side and have been chastising my wife for being judgemental. She has been trying to navigate this twist by trying to love her brother, but she cannot accept his sinful decisions. My wife just got off the phone with her parents where they threw ME under the bus and called me immoral because I am in ministry rather than finding a secular job (which is not where God wants me right now).

My wife has, in essence lost her brother, one sister and now both of her parents who are painting her has the bad person in all this.

I could go on, but I won't continue. Please be in prayer for strength as we stand up for what is right and guidance as we attempt to navigate this twist in our lives.

Praying definitely. Matthew 10:34-36 pops to mind.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Be strong in Christ.

Praying definitely. Matthew 10:34-36 pops to mind.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Be strong in Christ.

Yeah, I've been sitting on that one. Mentioned it to my wife last night and she wasn't happy but I've seen this coming for a few weeks now.

I'm reminded of 1 Corinthians 5:9-12:
I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. 12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.”

The question would be, does your brother-in-law consider himself a believer?

Last edited:
Satan will always try to hit us harder where it does the most damage and hurts us the worst. Will pray for y'all. I think peace and understanding for your wife and your family. And true salvation for her family. Would that be appropriate?

Whether my brother-in-law is saved is a question for God. Whether one thinks he is saved depends on your theology. He answered the altar call, he has been baptized but his behavior since his late teens doesn't match with the behavior of a believer. Especially his recent choices. I also realize that there are a lot of profession Christians who don't behave like it. As I have said before, that's a job for The Righteous Judge not me, and that I am thankful for.

I pray that someone will shine the light of Truth into their lives, and that the enemy and his servants would be kept at bay.

I don't want to turn this into a debate as this thread is a prayer request. However, in the interest of Biblical accuracy:

But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother
I think the verse speaks for itself. If he doesn't consider himself a brother you evangelize him as you would any other lost person. If he does consider himself a believer, you cut him off from fellowship (with much prayer) in hope that he turns from his sin. Of course, in this day and age, there is no shortage of "christian churches" willing to accept almost any kind of evil.

As I said, it wasn't really our choice. My wife has tried to keep in touch but he cut ties to us.

Whether my brother-in-law is saved is a question for God. Whether one thinks he is saved depends on your theology. He answered the altar call, he has been baptized but his behavior since his late teens doesn't match with the behavior of a believer. Especially his recent choices. I also realize that there are a lot of profession Christians who don't behave like it. As I have said before, that's a job for The Righteous Judge not me, and that I am thankful for.
Amen.

I'll be praying for reconciliation as only God can reconcile.

Back