Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Norn

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Sylvari

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Asura

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
I don't understand all of the hate, Charr didn't do anything to the Humans that wasn't deserved.

History Lesson
In the days before the Gods of Tyria brought the humans to Tyria, the Charr battled with the Forgotten in the Blazeridge Mountains. Long after the Forgotten stopped threatening the Charr, the humans appeared and, with the help of their Gods, pushed the Charr from their southern borders, conquering the land that became known as Ascalon in 100 BE. Along with being pushed back, the Khan-Ur was assassinated, preventing any hope the Charr had to retake their lands. The death of the Khan-Ur caused a schism among its four children, who became known as imperators, and brought the establishment of the High Legions - the Ash Legion, the Blood Legion, the Flame Legion, and the Iron Legion.

Basically; Charr fought the Forgotten, Charr had "Ascalon" before it even existed, but Humans were jerks and stole the lands and killed the Charr's Emperor..
And that's why, the Charr retaliated with the ritual of the Searing..

I don't understand all of the hate, Charr didn't do anything to the Humans that wasn't deserved.

For me, GW1 was my first MMO (of sorts) and I REALLY got into the story. Heck I spent my first week in Pre Searing Ascalon just leveling characters and helping new players. Eventually, Angie and I ran with each other, our pets, a fire imp, and our little semi healer friend Gwen after giving her some Red Iris Flowers.

In a way it does what all good stories do and draws you in. You get familiar with the characters and environment and who your enemies are. So regardless of humanities "deserving" the Searing or not it becomes personal to the player.

(And just to follow your logic here, technically the dragon's have a right to kill everyone since all the land was originally theirs anyway) ;)

It is a really good sign of immersion on Anets part to be completely honest. Hopefully GW2 will be able to do the same thing and help the Human and Charr reconcile even if just a little. However, in the back of my mind I'll always remember the Searing and Ascalon.

For Ascalon!

:D

Last edited:

History Lesson
Basically; Charr fought the Forgotten, Charr had "Ascalon" before it even existed, but Humans were jerks and stole the lands and killed the Charr's Emperor..
And that's why, the Charr retaliated with the ritual of the Searing..

That's pure Charr propaganda! The humans didn't "push" or "conquer." We settled those lands, tamed the wilderness, and built beautiful villages and a wonderful city. And only through Charr 'black magic' did thousands of innocent civilians lose their homes and their lives. The personal diaries and journals of the survivors tell about the Charr crimes against humanity and all that they really did!

All the Charr know how to do is destroy. They destroyed our homes. They destroyed the land. They even destroyed their own 'gods' (if you can call those false idols 'gods').

One day, the Charr will be brought to justice. And Ascalon will rise again!

----------

Out of Character: Like Elhanan, Guild Wars was my first fantasy genre MMO. And Arenanet did a great job with the storyline. I really liked how the humans were on the run from the Charr invasion (back when they were the bad guys). I kept waiting for the expansions to lead the liberation of Ascalon, but they kept taking their human-only players further across the continents (which was fine).

So seeing a reconciliation between human and Charr, the emergence of other races, and humans as an 'endangered species' make GW2 very interesting for me as well.

And I've gotten to hang out with Shamgar07 a bit during the betas. He loves the Charr (even when playing a fuzzy Asura). We had some good laughs and fun together. So I have a feeling I'll be playing in the midst of many Charr, teasing each other as we go, all in good fun. ;)

In reference to the Charrs "right" to act like jerks and be nasty. Just because someone acts like a jerk to you, DOES NOT give you the right to act like a jerk back. Just because the humans moved in taking their land does not give them the right to try and wipe all humans from the map. In doing so they hurt themselves almost as much as they hurt the Ascalonians. Besides all Charr smell bad.:p

I love history! Even if it's video game history.. or maybe especially if it's video game history.. <_<

It's so funny how the Charr story is almost directly taken from the history of Genghis Khan. Like.. really.. you can pretty much substitute the names and you'd have accurate history. Throw a little bit of Roman military influence and you have the Charr!

THAT folks, is why I love this franchise. It's the little things that make the biggest differences. That and I'm digging this playful rivalry.

FOR ASCALON!

Of course Taran would think that's propaganda.....yeah we know we destroy stuff and we may be a bit uncivilized at times but i cannot remember the amount of times i was walking around in pre-searing,checking out the guys at the temple and then BOOM! Here come a bunch of sword wielding, necromancing humans wiping us out again and again until they got their precious title. You can only take something like that for so long before you get a little angry. It has been 250 years and we need to join together against the dragons. Will there be casualties? Sure i mean humans are kinda squishy and can't take much damage but you can rest knowing that i will be there to revive you to continue the battle to the END!!!! ROAR!!

Ok, now that i got that out. It has been a blast playing with guys like ursen and taran for sure.The ladies also. And i look forward to all the fuzzy,stinky,wet cat comments cause when your having that much fun you can take a few hundred jokes!! :eek:)

jokes schmokes - when you are playing a Charr you have to think like a Charr and, as you said so well, "battle to the END!!!! ROAR!!"

Can't wait to put on my Charr armor as a warrior.

Tsk, tsk.

Shamgar07, no matter what Charr you play, you'll always be a Fuzzy Bookah to me. :p

(for those of you who did not get to see Shamgar07 during the BWE3, he played an Asura named "Fuzzy Bookah" claiming to be a 'Charr on the inside.' Now the name REALLY fits!)

Last edited:
I love the look of the Charr, character models and architecture. Can't stand their drill sergeant, constant "I'm more b.a. than you" cultural attitude.

The Norn "get drunk and kill woodland creatures for glory" is almost as bad, but without the cool design. Male Norn just look silly to me.

I like the Human culture, but something about the character models seems off.

I knew I would like the Asura. What's more awesome than a short, gobliny nerd-warrior with great animations?

Surprisingly to me, the answer was plant people. I expected more hippy, tree-huggy, but was thrilled to find sidhe courts and an Arthurian vibe to the story. Add to that some wonderful character models and bio-luminescense and I'm hooked on Sylvari.

I love the look of the Charr, character models and architecture. Can't stand their drill sergeant, constant "I'm more b.a. than you" cultural attitude.
Ahh!! I couldn't disagree more! While I don't live in that culture or would want to I love the Roman Legion feel. But then again I'm a history major and love Rome.. so go figure.

The Norn "get drunk and kill woodland creatures for glory" is almost as bad, but without the cool design. Male Norn just look silly to me.

Again, the Norse culture is fascinating. Think a little Beowolf and you're there. Or better yet, How To Train Your Dragon. Fitting since we're trying to "tame" dragons!

Surprisingly to me, the answer was plant people. I expected more hippy, tree-huggy, but was thrilled to find sidhe courts and an Arthurian vibe to the story. Add to that some wonderful character models and bio-luminescense and I'm hooked on Sylvari.

I think most people were pleasantly surprised with the Sylvari because they thought they were an Elf spin-off. When they released that the Sylvari are more about discovery and balance rather than nature and elves it finally solidified the paradigm shift. I love the Sylvari and can't wait to see their story unfold. And again, they have their touch in history that I absolutely love. :p

Thank you from my wife (Biblica) who has been looking at the various races beside *Human* to see a life story unfold for the enjoyment of this MMO!

Ahh!! I couldn't disagree more! While I don't live in that culture or would want to I love the Roman Legion feel. But then again I'm a history major and love Rome.. so go figure.

I get it. It just reminds me of gamers I knew in my PnP days who were more interested in comparing their vorpal blades of god killing +16 than actually roleplaying. Makes me roll my eyes every time a Charr opens its maw.

Again, the Norse culture is fascinating. Think a little Beowolf and you're there. Or better yet, How To Train Your Dragon. Fitting since we're trying to "tame" dragons!

Haven't seen HtTYD yet. I've heard it's good. Mostly it's just not my cup of tea. I like the way Eir was depicted in the book, but most Norn came across as stereotypical high school football jocks, and their "help Raven find lost eggs" animism came across as Disneyfied noble savage nature worship. I only played a few levels, so it's possible my impressions were based on intro level stuff, and more complexity comes later.

I think most people were pleasantly surprised with the Sylvari because they thought they were an Elf spin-off. When they released that the Sylvari are more about discovery and balance rather than nature and elves it finally solidified the paradigm shift. I love the Sylvari and can't wait to see their story unfold. And again, they have their touch in history that I absolutely love. :p

I wasn't afraid of elves, so much as walking "love your planet" PSAs. So glad they are what they are. Out of all the storylines I sampled, I can't wait to explore the White Stag line.

The only real problem with Sylvari is that in their "hometown" you can walk off the edge of something real easy and kill yerself.

Back