FF14 Lead staff change, delayed PS3 releases

Keero

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
Online game Final Fantasy XIV is a bit of a mess. Critics aren't thrilled, players aren't thrilled. Heck, even Square Enix isn't thrilled. Know what that means? Heads will roll. And they have.

Director Nobuaki Komoto and producer Hiromichi Tanaka are being taken off the game and replaced by Naoki Yoshida. In an official statement, Square Enix honcho Yoichi Wada describes Yoshida as "a passionate individual for whom customer satisfaction has always taken top priority".

Besides Yoshida, several "hand-picked" developers will join the existing team.

Previously, Wada came out and said Final Fantasy XIV "isn't satisfactory", and Square Enix is trying to fix the game.

In a statement issued today, Wada adds, "While more than two months have passed since the official launch of Final Fantasy XIV service, we deeply regret that the game has yet to achieve the level of enjoyability that Final Fantasy fans have come to expect from the franchise, and for this we offer our sincerest of apologies."

Square Enix is asking players to be patient until a concrete plan explaining the game's new direction. Until that time, the game's free trial period will be extended.

It's not only the PC version of the game that is experiencing troubles. The PS3 version, slated for release in March 2011, is being delayed.

"Regarding the PlayStation 3, it is not our wish to release a simple conversion of the Windows version in its current state, but rather an update that includes all the improvements we have planned," says Wada. "For that reason, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of the PlayStation 3 version beyond the originally announced date of March 2011."

For a game as big as this, for a franchise as big as this, everything seems to have spun out of control. Square Enix is making tough decisions and taking action. It's now a matter of cleaning up the mess — and whether or not players are willing to wait.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5711039/heads-roll-over-final-fantasy-xiv-ps3-version-delayed

The Source's Source: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c499e4c5df4f3f0fde1fb47a28574cb9c3991c9f

It's a shame too, was looking forward to the PS3 release. :/

Hmm...continuing to be free for a bit longer...I can live with that...however, after checking into it after the update, it seemed the same... But I really didn't have any UI issues when it came out either... All of the UI complaints everyone had (which was supposedly fixed in this Nov update) I never had except in beta...heh...

So...there are no monthly fees right now?

Does anyone know whether or not one can use their account on the PS3 if they own for PC?

Believe you could since they were going to have it on the same server...? I think? xD

Well, they'll be on the same server, but there's a problem when you consider the idea that to play FFXIV, you buy a copy of the game. Would buying a copy of the PC game allow you to play on the PS3?

Sorry if this Q/A is out there already. TBH, I'd be happy buying a copy of the PS3 game, too, because if I do end up playing this, it'll only because I'm playing on computer + the wife on PS3.

Believe you could since they were going to have it on the same server...? I think? xD

You need to buy the game both for PC and PS/3 then, but it will be possible.

On the account there are separate licenses for the two platforms. So buying the PC version only activates the PC license.

If the PS/3 versions is good I might switch to that depending on how good it is and how voice chat will work there.

Last edited:
Hmm...continuing to be free for a bit longer...I can live with that...however, after checking into it after the update, it seemed the same... But I really didn't have any UI issues when it came out either... All of the UI complaints everyone had (which was supposedly fixed in this Nov update) I never had except in beta...heh...

Besides UI changes (and lots of them) not so much happened in the November update besides they made lvling up to 20 much easier.

Other changes is supposed to come later. First step is supposed to be real soon, whenever they decide it is "mid december" :)

Back