First Impressions of Shadows of Revan

Kahiel

I don't want to give away any spoilers so I am going to talk in very general terms.

First off, so far I like the expansion. The story has a good flow and the voice acting is the same quality as the original class mission. You do get a cut scene at the beginning with your companions which provides some new voice work. Other than some comments when you enter a new area, I haven't heard much else from the companions though.

Rishi is gorgeous. I read someone complaining that Rishi wasn't as big as Makeb and I am not sure I agree. It's hard to tell. Where Makeb is made up of a lot of zones of differing size, Rishi is five large, interconnected zones. The art work is fabulous. I just got to Yavin IV when I logged last night and what little I saw of is was even better than Rishi.

The new solo mode flashpoints are... interesting. You get a combat assist droid to help you. I like the idea, I haven't finished the Ilum or Oricon stories because of the fact you have to have a group. So instead of getting hung up in the story line, I was able to continue on at my own pace rather than wait for the GF to toss me into a PUG. However, the first flashpoint was boring as heck for me. It was more button mashing while the droid seemed like he did all the work. The second one was better, there was more going on, and more behind the story IMHO (I also died several times attesting to the challenge of the combat).

The daily quests work much the same way as they did on Makeb. As you enter a new area to start a new leg of the story, you find several side quests which in turn become repeatable once you complete them. There are also seeker droid and microbinoccular dailies.

The class specific quest was also interesting. I've done the Knight story and while the quest itself was meh, the story behind it does bring some closure on the overall Knight story line. I just wish some of the decisions you made along the way (romancing Kira for instance) would have an effect on the story.

Overall I think its been well done (ran into one bug so far) and fun. I'm heading back in to start Yavin IV. If you drop in to play, keep in mind you don't need to buy armor. During the Rishi line, 168 and 178 armor dropped as quest rewards. I have over 850 basic coms now with the conversion and rewards. I will be able to gear up very well once I hit 60 and maybe have some left over for my companions.

Warning: final boss fight is bugged. Or at least that is the claim.

I encountered it. In the solo mode op, you face the final boss who's name you can probably guess. Once he gets to a certain % of health, he CCs all your companions and one shots you. According to the forums, he's supposed to stay in the middle so you can avoid the one shot death and fissures open up which ends the CC. However, for me he just ran aournd the area killing all my comps as they were cc'd and couldn't do anything. Don't know if it actually works in OP group mode.

From what I saw in General chat tonight, the bug exists in all versions of the fight. I did manage to get it done on my Sentinel after a dozen attempts or so.

From what I saw in General chat tonight, the bug exists in all versions of the fight. I did manage to get it done on my Sentinel after a dozen attempts or so.

The work around that I've heard is to use a tank (either yourself, not possible with my Sentinal or a companion, mines so undergeared that he'll get wiped in 30 seconds) and pull the agro off of Darh Marr and hold it yourself. Other than that it sounds like it's luck of the draw.

The work around that I've heard is to use a tank (either yourself, not possible with my Sentinal or a companion, mines so undergeared that he'll get wiped in 30 seconds) and pull the agro off of Darh Marr and hold it yourself. Other than that it sounds like it's luck of the draw.

I managed to finish it this morning. I wish I could tell you a secret to how I did it, but I just kept mashing buttons and managed to bring the boss down. It only took four tries.

Back