Friday, July 17, 2009: Time Spent With vs. Time Spent For

RiverTigress

Matthew 7:21-23
"Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

In these busy times we tend to measure ourselves by what we get done, and other things we should be doing like Bible reading, prayer time, and time for quiet reflection to let the Holy Spirit have our attention can fall by the wayside in the pursuit of more "visible" achievements to prove our worth to ourselves and others. Here we see that while the Lord does care about what we do, what we do turns out to be not just worthless, but even considered iniquity by Him if our works are only done for Him and not with Him. He desires a relationship with us first and foremost, and then from there God-pleasing service can follow.

Back