GFC Proverbs Chapter a day Challenge (December)

Sounds a lot like our country eh? We just lack the Leader...

I think most people of understanding tend to stay far away from the political circus these days, which is not good since the power to vote is only as effective as the candidates willing to subject themselves to the fray. Then again, I suppose it also doesn't help that a lot of people have adopted this sort of lazy/impotent view of democracy that their only role is to mark a checkbox once every four years, if that, and just complain the rest of the time. The integrity of a leader matters little if there's none to be found in the people.

Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

If something is right to do, be bold about doing it. If someone wants to take issue with you over it, their issue is with God not with you.

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. Pro 29:11

Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar. Proverbs 30:6 (NIV)

The Message clarifies a bit:

So don't second-guess him; he might take you to task and show up your lies. Proverbs 30:6 (MSG)

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Proverbs 31:8 (NLT)

One of the things we are obliged to do as Christians.

Proverbs 31:15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.

Proverbs 31 can seem like a pretty big to-do list for women, but giving "a portion to her maidens" means she also has servants to allocate some of the work to, so she's not really doing everything all by herself 100% from scratch.

I've met some women who will look down on others who don't do as much in the cooking and sewing realms as they do, but then ask them where are their millstones to grind their own flour and their sheep and spinning wheels and looms to make their own thread and fabric and their double standard starts to show.

The point is, I think, that there are lots of things that need to be done in life, and women have some responsibility for some of those things, but taking responsibility doesn't mean having to do everything all on your own, so don't demoralize yourself or others by trying to maintain even higher standards than God is really asking for. Remember Jesus' statement to Martha that she was cumbered about with too much serving and missing out while Mary had the wisdom to know when to set that aside to attend to the one truly needful thing which is Christ.

Back