GW2: Salt of the Earth [Salt] in FA

Odid.Salt

Hello all,

Salt is friends with Legacy of Elijah [LoE]. My ingame name is Odid. We were established in Fort Aspenwood by my predecessors, Adonai and Sparro, since the beginning. We are going on 2 years old, and on avg have 12-20 people on (mostly on the evenings). We do WvW|sPvP|Dungeons|Fractals| and Guild Missions each week, and the events are led by solid officers. We also have about 10 married couples who play together. We would like to get connected to CGA and the other GW2 guilds involved. We have our own site GW2 Salt, and we use Facebook as our social area.

1. I am looking for our guild to use the TS3 here to create a connection with other GW2 players.
2. How do we go by in getting a few of my officers admin status?
3. How do I get a section in the forums just for Salt?

I would suggest contacting Tek7. He's the leader of CGA (and ToJ). He can give the go ahead to get you guys set up. There are a couple of us that are active on TS3 that are admins.

Hey Odid, Aleron!
I did a "Contact Us" form to try to get ahold of Tek7, and talked with Cam in ts. Since I forgot what my login info was I had to create a new acct with the cga website, so it's not letting me see any direct contact info for Tek7. Aleron, if could please let me know if that contact us form goes to the right people, or if there is a better way to contact Tek7, that would be very appreciated! Thanks so much guys!

I just sent an email to Tek7 as well.

Quick question, Odid and Snow, is [Salt] still on Fort Aspenwood? I couldn't tell from your initial post where it says "were established," if that meant you have transferred to Sanctum of Rall or not.

Hey man, this is Mirakle, glad to hear you guys are still doing well. What do you think of the September feature pack? Anything worth coming back for in your opinion?

Odid and Lady_Snowfall: My apologies for not replying sooner. I could claim life has kept me busy (and it has), but time spent playing Puzzle & Dragons would have undoubtedly been better spent responding to your posts. :)

I wrote a thread about 4 years ago entitled Interested in your Christian clan or web site joining the Christian Gamers Alliance? but since it's not stickied (only linked in the Important (stickied) Christian Gamers Alliance forum threads thread), it's no surprise most people don't see it.

I'd love to meet with either or both of you as well as anyone else from SALT and discuss SALT joining the CGA. If we both agree the CGA is a good fit for SALT (and vice versa), we can start on creating forums and TeamSpeak channels (if you'd like; they're not required but we offer them to all member-groups) right away.

Perhaps we could meet on TeamSpeak soon? What days and times work best for you? I'll try to take a break from cleaning (and explain to my wife why I'm taking a break; we're scrambling to get the house ready for a new baby in November) and meet when you're available.

Ohh thanks for posting that link, Tek, been wondering if there was a clear one like that.
I imagine SALT will have a roadblock with line 3 of the requirements since they do not require members to be Christians as per http://gw2salt.wordpress.com/who-are-we/
Perhaps, but I'd still like to hold the conversation. Based on what I've read on their site, I think it's reasonable to believe that SALT, like the CGA, is passionate about glorifying God through gaming. Different groups use different methods and different frameworks, but we can almost always benefit from sharing with each other and collaborating.

Perhaps, but I'd still like to hold the conversation. Based on what I've read on their site, I think it's reasonable to believe that SALT, like the CGA, is passionate about glorifying God through gaming. Different groups use different methods and different frameworks, but we can almost always benefit from sharing with each other and collaborating.

Yes, most definitely.

Yeah we are not a Christian only guild, but we are an only Christian led guild. That means a none believer cannot take a leadership role. I believe we can meet best tomorrow or weds @8-9pm ET range? I have WvW on tues nights. Mon is watching NFL football night lol, but I can still talk ;). We have our own Website, and Facebook Page and Group. We would like to be a part of CGA to network, connect, and use TS3/some forum to be with other Christian gamers. That is the simple thought of where I was seeing it lol.

Hello!

Thank you for considering SALT for CGA. I am available pretty much any time until Thursday, when I will be unavailable weekdays from 9 am to 1 pm, mountain time.

Lady Snowfall

I should note that even though LoE is listed as a Christian Guild, have Christian leadership, and have listed a requirement of being a Christian, we do have some none Christians on board that are taking advantage of our family friendly, accepting atmosphere, and are in accord with us. I prefer to think of it as adherents in the Salvation Army (look it up), and generally speaking none of the officers get in a twist about these departures from the norm. How can we evangelize the world if we have no contact with it whatsover? Praise God it has been rare indeed that we have had to ban anyone. We have had a lot of fun in our runs with SALT and would like to see them officially affiliated with CGA.

edit: Sorry about the delay here, been a rough month for me.

Last edited:
Interesting, so do the requirements for membership in CGA have some "flexibility" in them? Curious because I know this has been a major talking point for many years.

Last edited:
Not CGA just a little wiggle room in LoE, trying to get friends and family in to join the bigger family. It still is a requirement and we prefer you meet all the requirements. The exceptions are few and far between.

edit: There is a specific procedure for these departures which is followed always.

Last edited:
Interesting, so do the requirements for membership in CGA have some "flexibility" in them? Curious because I know this has been a major talking point for many years.

Not CGA just a little wiggle room in LoE, trying to get friends and family in to join the bigger family. It still is a requirement and we prefer you meet all the requirements. The exceptions are few and far between.

edit: There is a specific procedure for these departures which is followed always.
I'm typing this reply on my lunch break at work, so I can't take long, but I wanted to make sure everyone was clear on this point.

Tribe of Judah requires a profession of Christian faith to join. Yes, we understand that applicants can lie and we also understand that only God can know the heart of a person with absolute certainty. That being said, we retain the requirement because the foundation of Tribe of Judah is bringing together people of a common faith. Most folks are probably tired of hearing (or reading) me say (or type) it, but, "We are Christians that happen to be gamers, not gamers that happen to be Christians."

So if applicants are truthful, then the ToJ membership is restricted to Christians only; however, multiple Tribe of Judah guilds, including Redeemed and Legacy of Elijah, have made special provisions for family and close friends who are not members of ToJ to join the guild.

In short, there are 2 rosters: The ToJ roster and then the individual guild roster.

The exceptions in LoE ursen mentioned and those made under what was dubbed the "sponsorship program" in Redeemed (because I could never think of a better name) were and remain a concession for the purpose of keeping family members and friends playing in the same guild and, we hope, representing Christ in our words and actions so as to help lead people to recognize Christ as the son of God and accept Him as savior. (We understand the Holy Spirit--not our own efforts--convict people of sin and lead to repentance, but personal will still plays a role in what remains one of the great mysteries of the Christian faith. But I suppose this isn't the time for a weighty theological discussion. :))

So why keep the same requirements for ToJ membership but allow exceptions for ToJ guild in-game membership?

Because guilds, unlike first-person shooters or strategy games, often require membership in the same guild to interact more closely with friends, family, and acquaintances. For our Team Fortress 2 chapter, anyone can join our TF2 server and the gameplay is no different for ToJ members or non-members. Membership makes no difference in terms of gameplay in TF2.

But in MMOs, guild membership makes a tremendous difference when it comes to gameplay. If your brother, sister, or friend can't join the same guild as you, there are opportunities and activities you each will miss out on.

So why then are the guidelines for exceptions, such as those in LoE and Redeemed, so strict? Because even if a guild member who isn't a ToJ member can never hold a staff position, they can still wield considerable influence. There is risk involved with exceptions; however, Stc95 and I agreed that the opportunity for family and friends to play together--provided all parties followed the rules--and, even more importantly, the opportunity to display Christ's character through how we play the games we play was worth the risk.

Coming back to the point of CGA: Because ToJ maintains a "dual roster" system (one main roster, individual in-game rosters for individual guilds), ToJ remains eligible for membership in the CGA. The requirements for CGA membership have not changed.

Regardless of chapter or what game we play, it's my passionate desire to see Tribe of Judah, as a gaming community, look outward to people we can help and lead to Christ and never be a "closed circle" where we shut the world out and have no contact with those who believe differently. Yes, I want us to have fun together and I want to provide opportunities for families to play together, but "good, moral" behavior is not what defines us as Christians--though our lives should reflect, though imperfectly, God's holy nature. What defines us as Christians is that Christ redeemed us.

I ended up typing much more than planned, but I hope this clarifies the questions raised above. They're good questions and I apologize for not answering them more clearly in the past or posting answers in a more visible location. (I believe the LoE membership guidelines are available in a much more obvious place. I would look it up and post a link if I wasn't out of time to finish this post.) As time allows (and likely after my next child is born in November), I may take some time to copy and paste excerpts from this post, polish them, and assemble a better explanation of the logic behind ToJ's membership requirements and CGA's member-group requirements.

Lady Snowfall: My apologies for not replying to this thread and to you sooner. I somehow had missed that there were new posts in this thread. I'll try to remember to send you a PM from my main account this evening so we can arrange a time to meet on TeamSpeak.

EDIT: And my apologies for posting a wall of text in your thread, Lady Snowfall and Odid! I had planned to keep the reply short, but ended up rambling on after all.

Last edited:
Well said despite the length. I think a little length was called for to make sure people understood our rational in what we do in CGA, ToJ and guilds associated with it. Thank you.

Back